Anyone using PFSense as a firewall?

Hey Pete-

May I ask why you are using so many NICs? I thought I've read before that you are using managed switches and VLANs?

Moving towards a direction of playing with multiple WAN and multiple LAN connections and yes I am using managed switches (not done yet with the endeavor). 

I have a few network devices that I play with and my /25 subnet is getting full these days.

Today have been adding packages; going slow with these pieces.

Much easier to see available packages and update than to hand edit and modify Smoothwall.

I have been using m0n0wall for many many years (uptime is also expressed in years), which pfSense is based one, and you really can't go wrong.  The unit at my office is a custom build, and has 10 interfaces.  At home, I use an old P2 266 without any moving parts to power my networks.

I'm planning on building a pfSense VM, but I also like Astaro, as it's free for IT folks at home, so not sure yet which route I'm going to go (since Astaro is expensive as hell in a corporate environment).

Yesterday locked myself out of my PFSense box configuring the ports on it. 

I had to go back to the console connection to fix what I did.  This though is helping me learn PFSense.

Moving it to the rack (basement comm closet) this week and connecting it to the KVM (Raritan IP 116).

Might move this thread over to a blog and write a DIY with pictures on setting up the PFSense firewall with the 6 NICs.

Yesterday locked myself out of my PFSense box configuring the ports on it.
You may want to create a rule at the top to prevent locking yourself out - something along the lines of any TCP connection on the LAN to the interface IP/Port. From there you could play around with all the rules you want. 

Might move this thread over to a blog and write a DIY with pictures on setting up the PFSense firewall with the 6 NICs.
I'd be interested in it. I'm looking to start a move away from DD-WRT. I just have too much networking tied into a single box that isn't easily swapped out if it goes down. Plus I wouldn't mind faster SSH/VPN access via a more powerful CPU.

video321 said:
 You may want to create a rule at the top to prevent locking yourself out - something along the lines of any TCP connection on the LAN to the interface IP/Port. From there you could play around with all the rules you want. 
Don't have to actually create one. You can just select the "auto-lock out" option.
It creates the rule for you.

I started with m0n0wall, moved to pfSense, and for the last 3 years have been running Vyatta. pfSense does make setup easy with the WebGUI and has nice graphs for bandwidth usage. However the CLI is powerful in Vyatta and allows for quick configuration. It actually resembles Juniper's JunOS CLI.

I am using a Supermicro X7SPE-HF-D525 board which has an Atom D525 processor and a Transcend SSD. The nice thing about this model board is the IPMI controller has KVM over IP. You can attach an ISO image and install remotely. Power consumption is around 22 watts.

I just saw Ubiquiti released their EdgeRouter Lite, which is based on Vyatta and also includes their custom WebGUI. For under $100 this might be the way to go as I paid way more than that for my setup.

pete_c said:
For example dropping secondary firewalls layered inside of my network or just boxes that I want to open up to the internet in general.

Curious about the methodology of doing this with PFSense. Have two questions:

1 - should I create a 1 to 1 NAT first?
2 - firewall rule which allows all incoming traffic on the WAN link to one IP on one LAN link/IP?

If you have a large block of public IPs then 1:1 NAT is the easiest. Incoming traffic to public IP 1.1.1.10 will translate to 192.168.1.10. Additionally outgoing traffic from 192.168.1.10 will leave as public IP 1.1.1.10. If your public IPs are limited then create inbound NAT rules specifying the ports to translate. This allows you to have 1.1.1.10:80 go to 192.168.1.10:80 and 1.1.1.10:443 go to 192.168.1.20:443. Outbound traffic from these devices will utilize the outbound NAT rules and share a public IP.

For secondary firewalls inside your network you do not want to use NAT. Either setup a router with another network subnet and place firewall rules on the interfaces, or bridge two NICs and setup firewalls rules. The bridge is easier as you don't need another subnet, but the router limits the broadcast domain and isolates the networks.

Thanks Guys!

Moving this OP over to a blog today.  Will be "playing" with all kinds of stuff as I had mostly hand tweaked the Smoothwall firewall editing and adding stuff manually.  So far I am seeing that PFSense all ready includes and includes options for everything; "kitchen sink" and more.

Early work endeavor days here related to hand writing little rules sets IPChains, manually NAT (PITA nat tables) way back.....most recently stuff like learning and writing the in house mechanisms of use for say F5's after learning about them and taking classes et al....have to go slower these days as I am not in a rush and slowing down a bit these years....

pfSense is a very versatile firewall/router platform.

I'm quite familiar with the platform if anyone has questions.

...v

NAT is enabled by default when you define both a WAN and a LAN interface during the initial setup. if you want to use pf without NAT, you can disable it by setting the NAT configuration to Manual, and then removing all of the outbound NAT rules that were automatically created.

Firewall > NAT > Outbound (iirc)

Also, 'pfctl -d' from the console will temporarily disable the firewall in the event that you lock yourself out. Firewall will be re-enabled as soon as you make a change which initiates a config reload (almost any change does this.).

...v

Back