Assistance w/replacing older Brinks with new DIY installation?

RAL said:
If the battery you have is more than 3 years old, it is at the end of its life and should be replaced with a new battery.  In any case, the battery should be sized to the power demands of your new system, so it can provide 4 hours or more of backup run time.

If you want to do a direct replacement and keep your zone configuration the same as what you have now with 8 zones, you don't need a zone expander.  So the main Vista 20P board can handle that.

If you want to add wireless to the Vista 20P, you can do that with a 6160RF keypad, or with a 5881ENH receiver. 

By comparison, the Elk M1 Gold has 16 zones on the base panel, giving you some extra room to grow before any zone expanders are needed. Where the Vista 20P has no output relays or voltage outputs on the base panel, the M1G has 1 relay and 10 voltage outputs that can be used for home automation purposes on the base panel. 

Elk offers 3 wireless options for the M1G.  You can add receivers for Honeywell, GE/Interlogix, or Elk's own proprietary wireless sensors.

A starter configuration for the Elk, say with 2 keypads and an M1XEP ethernet interface, will cost you about $500 more than a basic Vista 20P with 2 keypads and an EnvisaLink board.
RAL-

Wow!  Thanks for such and informative post as well.  I really really appreciate all the assistance you all are giving me on this subject.  I am certainly here to learn. 

So you are saying about $500 "more" for the Elk versus the Vista but that includes 16 zones standard for Elk whereas I would have to buy expander for Vista adding to the price a little too.  And the Vista does do some HA but just not as "extensive" as the Elk?  Not as flexible or the amount of options I guess...?

So what would be a ballpark figure for the Elk, 2 keypads, Ethernet interface (for remote / away from home control, wireless board (to add more window sensors for second floor) versus the same for the Vista (which will have to include the expander if I want to do more zones)?  $800 for the Elk and $400 for the Vista roughly?

One of the big questions I am going to have is this:  how "compatible" would you say this Elk would be in allowing me to use my existing hardware and how difficult would it be for me to program especially since I am a novice (newb)...although I am in the IT field but not a software engineer by any stretch of the imagination (more network admin then anything).

Thanks again for your continued support along the way!!

vacationer said:
RAL-

Wow!  Thanks for such and informative post as well.  I really really appreciate all the assistance you all are giving me on this subject.  I am certainly here to learn. 

So you are saying about $500 "more" for the Elk versus the Vista but that includes 16 zones standard for Elk whereas I would have to buy expander for Vista adding to the price a little too.  And the Vista does do some HA but just not as "extensive" as the Elk?  Not as flexible or the amount of options I guess...?

So what would be a ballpark figure for the Elk, 2 keypads, Ethernet interface (for remote / away from home control, wireless board (to add more window sensors for second floor) versus the same for the Vista (which will have to include the expander if I want to do more zones)?  $800 for the Elk and $400 for the Vista roughly?

One of the big questions I am going to have is this:  how "compatible" would you say this Elk would be in allowing me to use my existing hardware and how difficult would it be for me to program especially since I am a novice (newb)...although I am in the IT field but not a software engineer by any stretch of the imagination (more network admin then anything).

Thanks again for your continued support along the way!!

In terms of compatibility with your existing sensors, the Elk and Vista should both be fine.  You may need to replace the smoke detector if it is a 2-wire smoke and the particular model you have is not one that's listed for use with the panel you choose to go with.

In terms of setting up the system and programming, pretty much all the manuals for the systems are geared towards someone who has at least basic knowledge of alarm systems.  They really aren't aimed at the novice.  That said, Elk has some good training videos on YouTube.  The Basic Training Webinar is a good place to start.

You can also find videos on YouTube for the Vista 20P, though most seem to be from individuals and alarm suppliers, and not the manufacturer.

The only other possible gotcha is if the Brinks system is wired with end of line (EOL) resistors.  That isn't likely, but you should check before making a decision.  Disconnect one of the zones (say the front door) from the panel, and put an ohm meter across the two wires.  With the door closed, if you get a reading of close to zero ohms, then there is no EOL resistor.  If you get a reading of 2000 ohms, then there are EOL resistors.  In that case, they would need to be changed out to be usable with the Elk.

Doing a price comparison of the different systems always gets a bit fuzzy.  Elk sells through authorized distributors at pretty much list price.  But there are also unauthorized resellers who sell at a discount.  The advantage of buy from the authorized distributors is that you get full warranty and technical support.  When you buy from an unauthorized reseller, they usually offer nothing in the way of technical support.  Elk may or may not honor the warranty on a purchase from an unauthorized reseller, but often they are pretty good about doing so.  One option is to buy the Elk panel from an authorized distributor to protect the major part of your investment, and buy the other components elsewhere.  Another is to buy your whole package by phone from an authorized distributor like Automated Outlet and see what kind of deal they can give you on the package.

Here's a comparison of the basics for the two systems. The extras in the Elk kit that are not in the Vista configuration (speaker, RJ31X and 952) are worth about $30 or so.  The discounted prices will vary, depending on what seller you buy from.

Disc     List
                                     Price    Price 
Elk M1GSYS4S Kit                     $424     $682
Includes 1 Keypad, AC Transformer,   
8Ah battery, interior speaker,
SWB14 Enclosure, RJ31X jack,                            
ELK952 surge supressor

Elk M1KP2 second keypad              $ 89     $137
Elk M1XEP Ethernet interface         $150     $234

Total                                $663    $1053

Optional:
Elk M1XRF2H Honeywell wireless       $ 94     $143

Vista 20P                            $ 58
includes enclosure and
AC transformer

EnvisaLink EVL-4 Internet Interface  $129

6160 Alphanumeric Keypad (Qty 2)     $120 

4Ah Battery                          $ 18

Total                                $325

Optional:
Honeywell 6160RF Keypad:             $ 97
or
Honeywell 5881ENH wireless receiver  $ 99

RAL said:
If the battery you have is more than 3 years old, it is at the end of its life and should be replaced with a new battery.  In any case, the battery should be sized to the power demands of your new system, so it can provide 4 hours or more of backup run time.

If you want to do a direct replacement and keep your zone configuration the same as what you have now with 8 zones, you don't need a zone expander.  So the main Vista 20P board can handle that.

If you want to add wireless to the Vista 20P, you can do that with a 6160RF keypad, or with a 5881ENH receiver. 

By comparison, the Elk M1 Gold has 16 zones on the base panel, giving you some extra room to grow before any zone expanders are needed. Where the Vista 20P has no output relays or voltage outputs on the base panel, the M1G has 1 relay and 10 voltage outputs that can be used for home automation purposes on the base panel. 

Elk offers 3 wireless options for the M1G.  You can add receivers for Honeywell, GE/Interlogix, or Elk's own proprietary wireless sensors.

A starter configuration for the Elk, say with 2 keypads and an M1XEP ethernet interface, will cost you about $500 more than a basic Vista 20P with 2 keypads and an EnvisaLink board.
RAL
The 20P has 2 open collector outputs on the header on the board, which can be used as current sinks (limited current) or to switch a TTL relay, no different than the M1 base. I'll give you as far as onboard dry contact relay and number of trigger outputs, but that's the only real difference there. The difference does exist as far as integrated wireless, however the "supported" types can either be Honeywell or compatible via 3rd party (resolution) which is greater than Elk's GE or Honeywell offering (some devices not supported). The 20P supports multiplex zones (doubling) but in actuality that's another thing which I'm not bringing into this discussion.

For an apple/apple discussion, it's a 20P with a 4219 and similar peripherals compared to a M1.

As far as the OP goes, what I saw for cables and wiring, he should really invest in at least a single 4219.

RAL said:
In terms of compatibility with your existing sensors, the Elk and Vista should both be fine.  You may need to replace the smoke detector if it is a 2-wire smoke and the particular model you have is not one that's listed for use with the panel you choose to go with.

In terms of setting up the system and programming, pretty much all the manuals for the systems are geared towards someone who has at least basic knowledge of alarm systems.  They really aren't aimed at the novice.  That said, Elk has some good training videos on YouTube.  The Basic Training Webinar is a good place to start.

You can also find videos on YouTube for the Vista 20P, though most seem to be from individuals and alarm suppliers, and not the manufacturer.

The only other possible gotcha is if the Brinks system is wired with end of line (EOL) resistors.  That isn't likely, but you should check before making a decision.  Disconnect one of the zones (say the front door) from the panel, and put an ohm meter across the two wires.  With the door closed, if you get a reading of close to zero ohms, then there is no EOL resistor.  If you get a reading of 2000 ohms, then there are EOL resistors.  In that case, they would need to be changed out to be usable with the Elk.

Doing a price comparison of the different systems always gets a bit fuzzy.  Elk sells through authorized distributors at pretty much list price.  But there are also unauthorized resellers who sell at a discount.  The advantage of buy from the authorized distributors is that you get full warranty and technical support.  When you buy from an unauthorized reseller, they usually offer nothing in the way of technical support.  Elk may or may not honor the warranty on a purchase from an unauthorized reseller, but often they are pretty good about doing so.  One option is to buy the Elk panel from an authorized distributor to protect the major part of your investment, and buy the other components elsewhere.  Another is to buy your whole package by phone from an authorized distributor like Automated Outlet and see what kind of deal they can give you on the package.

Here's a comparison of the basics for the two systems. The extras in the Elk kit that are not in the Vista configuration (speaker, RJ31X and 952) are worth about $30 or so.  The discounted prices will vary, depending on what seller you buy from.

Disc     List
                                     Price    Price 
Elk M1GSYS4S Kit                     $424     $682
Includes 1 Keypad, AC Transformer,   
8Ah battery, interior speaker,
SWB14 Enclosure, RJ31X jack,                            
ELK952 surge supressor

Elk M1KP2 second keypad              $ 89     $137
Elk M1XEP Ethernet interface         $150     $234

Total                                $663    $1053

Optional:
Elk M1XRF2H Honeywell wireless       $ 94     $143

Vista 20P                            $ 58
includes enclosure and
AC transformer

EnvisaLink EVL-4 Internet Interface  $129

6160 Alphanumeric Keypad (Qty 2)     $120 

4Ah Battery                          $ 18

Total                                $325

Optional:
Honeywell 6160RF Keypad:             $ 97
or
Honeywell 5881ENH wireless receiver  $ 99

RAL,

The prices you're listing here are missing a few things. You can buy a 20P with essentially the same as everything the SYS4 has, less the telephone surge, which is worth about $10 on the open market ($15 tops) as an Elk 951 is about $20 trade.  A 7AH battery is $10-15 on the open market and you didn't include the necessary DBHR, the OP has that topology to consider. Also, there is a price difference in installing a KP2 (limited) compared to a regular KP. There's also other ways to get the 20P to the network (Ipdatatel for one). Since we're not talking UL monitoring, the devices are a moot point for that (would he care as a DIY, I don't know).

That said, the M1 is significantly more expensive side by side to a 20P. Whether or not the OP truly sees the difference....there's a lot of difference between a M1 and 20P when you start expanding it, but less if you compare a 50P to the M1, which is somewhat more of an apple/apple item., but keep in mind, then that opens up 2 wire multiplex for expansion, and also gets you innovonics wireless and honeywell as the option.

I only say this because I've installed literally hundreds of 20P's (at least 1 X day X 48 weeks/year X 15 years) and about a couple hundred M1G's/EZ8's and original M1's, not including the other manufacturers (Bosch/Radionics, DMP, GE/ITI/Caddx, HAI, Napco and DSC). When you price out a M1 to it's more equivalent Vista panel (which truly is something like a Vista 128 or 250) and then add the options to get the feature sets to match, the price point narrows. The big items that can't be matched are the voice driver/dialer and automation features, other than that, the manufacturers are very similar and Honeywell does offer some things that are outside of the Elk box and vice versa. Some items are better implemented or an easier out of the box solution exists depending on what is being sought out. For that matter, the 128/250T panels have an onboard serial port and relay as well, so that's even a moot point.

Warranty is going to be a moot point no matter the manufacturer. Both products are being bought through 3rd party distribution, so any OEM warranty is truly void. Elk will offer pro-rated repairs outside of warranty and deal more with the end user compared to Honeywell/Ademco, but the end of the day, that's not the be all/end all here....

I like both manufacturers and panels, but just like when comparing a M1 to an OPII, there's some features that differ, some that come standard and others that are a premium option and still more that look great on paper that will never be used on 90% of the installs out there....but then again, that panel is 2-3X the cost of an M1.

DELInstallations said:
RAL,

The prices you're listing here are missing a few things. You can buy a 20P with essentially the same as everything the SYS4 has, less the telephone surge, which is worth about $10 on the open market ($15 tops) as an Elk 951 is about $20 trade.  A 7AH battery is $10-15 on the open market and you didn't include the necessary DBHR, the OP has that topology to consider. Also, there is a price difference in installing a KP2 (limited) compared to a regular KP. There's also other ways to get the 20P to the network (Ipdatatel for one). Since we're not talking UL monitoring, the devices are a moot point for that (would he care as a DIY, I don't know).

That said, the M1 is significantly more expensive side by side to a 20P. Whether or not the OP truly sees the difference....there's a lot of difference between a M1 and 20P when you start expanding it, but less if you compare a 50P to the M1, which is somewhat more of an apple/apple item., but keep in mind, then that opens up 2 wire multiplex for expansion, and also gets you innovonics wireless and honeywell as the option.

I only say this because I've installed literally hundreds of 20P's (at least 1 X day X 48 weeks/year X 15 years) and about a couple hundred M1G's/EZ8's and original M1's, not including the other manufacturers (Bosch/Radionics, DMP, GE/ITI/Caddx, HAI, Napco and DSC). When you price out a M1 to it's more equivalent Vista panel (which truly is something like a Vista 128 or 250) and then add the options to get the feature sets to match, the price point narrows. The big items that can't be matched are the voice driver/dialer and automation features, other than that, the manufacturers are very similar and Honeywell does offer some things that are outside of the Elk box and vice versa. Some items are better implemented or an easier out of the box solution exists depending on what is being sought out. For that matter, the 128/250T panels have an onboard serial port and relay as well, so that's even a moot point.

Warranty is going to be a moot point no matter the manufacturer. Both products are being bought through 3rd party distribution, so any OEM warranty is truly void. Elk will offer pro-rated repairs outside of warranty and deal more with the end user compared to Honeywell/Ademco, but the end of the day, that's not the be all/end all here....

I like both manufacturers and panels, but just like when comparing a M1 to an OPII, there's some features that differ, some that come standard and others that are a premium option and still more that look great on paper that will never be used on 90% of the installs out there....but then again, that panel is 2-3X the cost of an M1.

@DEL, thanks for pointing out my oversight on the DBHR.  Though I guess that if there are only 2 keypads to consider, he might be able to get away without it. But any additional keypads would definitely require the DBHR.

On my comparison of the 20P vs the Elk, I wasn't trying to say they were equivalent.  Just trying to show the price difference of a basic 20P configuration that could handle what he has today, vs the Elk which offers more capability. I agree that it would take a higher end Vista system to begin to approach what the Elk can do.

@vactioner - the DBHR is a Data Bus Hub Retrofit board, which is needed to make the home-run style wiring that exists for your current keypads compatible with the Elk's RS485 bus wiring.  This doesn't allow you to use the old Brinks keypads, it just lets you reuse the wiring.

@DEL and @RAL-

I feel like I am at a fork in the road now that I have some additional information about both the Vista 20P and the Elk.  Now knowing what I need and since we have covered a lot of different subjects like (wireless add-on's, ethernet ability, HA ability, etc) I am really looking to have someone more or less "guide" me to which direction I should go?

I will be honest...a part of me is saying just go with the Vista and be happy that you are getting a new security system and it will be up and running / operational again.  Then I have another part of me saying well if your replacing it you might as well replace it with something that is not only nice now but can expanded upon in the future if you get a chance to dabbled in HA a few years from now.  Am I wrong to think that?  Please convince me to be happy with the Vista and call it a day:)

@ RAL, I was just tossing it all out there, since I probably have more experience with the products than most. 99% of the residential installs out there don't have a use for more than 2-3 true partitions at most (not a fan of people using multiple partitions to control a single area of a system...just a recipe for disaster).

The OP probably wouldn't need one if he wasn't going to modify the existing system and paid attention to any bus devices installed at the panel/future, but the system has a wire ran to a closet for a RF receiver, so using that or installing anything else, he's going to need the hub.

With either system, I think you could be up and running equally fast in terms of basic security functions.  It will take a little time to understand the wiring connections you need to make, and then a greater amount of time to understand the configuration process.

This is one of those decisions that is easy to argue either way.  If you go with the Elk, you might find that it is easy to start doing some home automation in small steps sooner than you think. 

But if you think that it really will be a couple of years until you will have time to spend on HA stuff, I would say go with the Vista.  Things change with time, and there could be something new and better by then, though the alarm panel industry evolves slowly.

At worst, if you go down the Vista path and find that you wish you had bought the Elk after all, you'll have spent just few hundred bucks on the Vista.  And you probably could recover a part of that investment by selling the used components on eBay.

For security purposes, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Vista.  It's a good, capable alarm system.

The fastest panel to get up and running here would be the Vista. The least amount of rework is necessary, even if you install the additional cabinet and/or install expanders. A simple 1:1 takeover or even expansion, honestly, I could be up and running in an hour or two tops. The M1 would be at least double that.

From a cost perspective, that's up to you and your plans, per se. There's 3rd party devices you can use to talk to whatever flavor of automation technology based off alarm events. Higher level functionality is going to need to be external for the Vista. Nature of the beast here, where you might be able to do it natively with the elk.

Can you justify the ~$500 sticker difference to get the M1 and what it "CAN" do in the future vs. the 20P? 

DELInstallations said:
From working with every manufacturer out there, DSC has had a bunch of build quality issues I wouldn't overlook. Same as their detectors. I would not steer someone towards them personally. Has always been a price point panel. Coming from someone that has installed and serviced them.

Not a very friendly panel to program either.....the hilarious part was each component came with the instructions to install it; the RF receiver data field instructions came with the RF receiver, not the panel itself, or the keypad alpha configuration came with the keypad. In order to figure out how to install and configure the panel, you had to buy all the components and then put the instructions together after unboxing the components.

Yeah, that instruction plan is unusual.  I think it's because the DSC systems support so many different options.  They supply instructions with the options you buy rather than a full manual with the panel.

I guess it's a trade off.  The Vista 20p is a decent panel, but it has some limitations when it comes to using it remote with the Envisalink module for remote monitoring.  If you plan to go that route, it's worth looking at options beyond the Vista panels.

cobra said:
Yeah, that instruction plan is unusual.  I think it's because the DSC systems support so many different options.  They supply instructions with the options you buy rather than a full manual with the panel.

I guess it's a trade off.  The Vista 20p is a decent panel, but it has some limitations when it comes to using it remote with the Envisalink module for remote monitoring.  If you plan to go that route, it's worth looking at options beyond the Vista panels.
DSC doesn't support any more options than a Vista panel, the only difference is the documentation, which is odd. You buy a panel, the install manual should have everything you need to configure the panel with any option. DSC is the only manufacturer out there that provides piecemeal documents like this (well, DMP also, but that's another ballgame).

What limitations are there? The unit connects to the ECP bus and receives full system data (actually it's addressed like a LRR) and whatever you enable is what is sent to the 3rd party. The only limitations are if you run multiple partitions on a 20P and the unit really just does what the panel does (you can't view all partitions on a keypad at the same time, unlike a 128/250). Otherwise I see no different operation than a DSC.

That's from someone who's installed and serviced both. The build quality is the largest difference, and that's from someone who installs everything under the sun (including high level Tyco and AD security products). The largest item with DSC (hehe, AD also) is they provide a large list of bullet point features so they can say "we do that also" and when you drill down to it, the features aren't completely implemented or developed....or rushed to market. We had pallets of bad panels (bad solder joints/QC issue), a few semi's worth of bad smoke detectors (determined they weren't properly calibrated and might not alarm), I lost track of bad modules/keypads/detectors (ASC's that would never actually alarm), wireless devices and receivers that just would not work properly (433Mhz units; the 900's were laughable),  and even bad cellular communicators (chipset failures). By comparison, the issues we've had with Ademco/Honeywell are not even a fraction of that.

This is from someone whose spent over 20 in the industry with the first 15 concentrated on mainly security panels.....the main reason why you'll see DSC installed is an economic factor, followed by a very lenient distribution network; Anyone in their mother can buy them (even resell them) vs. Honeywell being a closed distributorship. Even the OEM installers....look where DSC is used compared to the Honeywell product.

@DEL and @RAL-

Thanks for all the information you all have provided.  You have both made it "easier" to come up with a decision based on my current and future needs.  I really appreciate the detailed explanations.

With that said, I am feeling some pressure with getting something ordered and installed because just last week there was another break-in (during the day while people were working) a few miles out of town.  So I am going to need to get moving on getting a parts list identified.  I believe @RAL was saying my first step should be to disconnect a door alarm and test for EOL resistors with an multi-meter on the ohm setting?

Anyway, my parts list so far:

-Honeywell VISTA-20P Control Panel (With EYEZ-ON EVL-3 Self Monitoring Module):  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01949ZG42/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=BTCSRJ1TJSHN2D3H18Z2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a0732ba3-2c28-420f-893e-6aca94d77e48&pf_rd_i=desktop

-(2) Honeywell Security 6160 Ademco Alpha Display Keypad:  https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Security-6160-Ademco-Display/dp/B000H05WDS/ref=pd_bxgy_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B9WNQ42373E99DESSH4H

I am not sure if I need the RF version (6160RF) and if so do I get just one of them or two for both locations?  I am planning on adding some wireless sensors in the future but just want to get up and running at the current time.

-12 Volt 7 Amp Hour Alarm Battery:  https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Amp-Hour-Alarm-Battery/dp/B0010XNC06/ref=pd_sim_60_16?ie=UTF8&dpID=41%2B7G4VRTzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=QPGPP5V1V2YMV5ZD34MX

How would you mount this battery since the existing battery (which I assume is no good) is located in the panel.  This battery seems way to big to put in the panel?

Not sure if I need anything else, DBHR, replace siren, replace motion sensor, replace smoke detector, etc?

vacationer said:
@DEL and @RAL-

Thanks for all the information you all have provided.  You have both made it "easier" to come up with a decision based on my current and future needs.  I really appreciate the detailed explanations.

With that said, I am feeling some pressure with getting something ordered and installed because just last week there was another break-in (during the day while people were working) a few miles out of town.  So I am going to need to get moving on getting a parts list identified.  I believe @RAL was saying my first step should be to disconnect a door alarm and test for EOL resistors with an multi-meter on the ohm setting?

Anyway, my parts list so far:

-Honeywell VISTA-20P Control Panel (With EYEZ-ON EVL-3 Self Monitoring Module):  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01949ZG42/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=BTCSRJ1TJSHN2D3H18Z2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a0732ba3-2c28-420f-893e-6aca94d77e48&pf_rd_i=desktop

-(2) Honeywell Security 6160 Ademco Alpha Display Keypad:  https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Security-6160-Ademco-Display/dp/B000H05WDS/ref=pd_bxgy_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B9WNQ42373E99DESSH4H

I am not sure if I need the RF version (6160RF) and if so do I get just one of them or two for both locations?  I am planning on adding some wireless sensors in the future but just want to get up and running at the current time.

-12 Volt 7 Amp Hour Alarm Battery:  https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Amp-Hour-Alarm-Battery/dp/B0010XNC06/ref=pd_sim_60_16?ie=UTF8&dpID=41%2B7G4VRTzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=QPGPP5V1V2YMV5ZD34MX

How would you mount this battery since the existing battery (which I assume is no good) is located in the panel.  This battery seems way to big to put in the panel?

Not sure if I need anything else, DBHR, replace siren, replace motion sensor, replace smoke detector, etc?

Yup, check for the EOL resistors, just so you know what you are dealing with from the old panel.

If you think you will want to add wireless sensors, I would get a 6160RF keypad now.  It will cost you about $30 to $40 more than the plain 6160.

You should try and locate the RF keypad in the most central location to get the best range to the sensors.  So if one keypad is located by the front door, near the middle of the house, and the other is by the garage at the end of the house, then the front door location is probably going to work better. 

The max range of the sensors is about 200 feet, so that should cover most layouts.  But it can be less than that based on construction of the house. I'm not sure if you can add a second RF keypad.

The battery 7Ah battery has dimensions of 6 x 2.6 x 3.7 inches, which may fit in your existing enclosure (not sure about the depth). But measure it to be sure.  If it does have enough depth, you'll still need to reroute the extra slack in your cables to make room for the battery. Otherwise, you'll need to stick with a 4 or 5Ah battery, or mount the larger battery in a separate enclosure.

My preference for batteries is the Power Sonic brand.  I've had good luck with them in terms of good lifetimes.

You don't need a DBHR for this panel.  That's only for the Elk.  

The motion sensor and siren should be ok in terms of compatibility.

For the smoke detector, you need to check if it is 2-wire or 4-wire.  If it is 2-wire, then you need to check the model number against the list of supported 2-wire detectors on page 8-2 of the Vista 20P installation manual.

Depending on the age of the existing detector, it might be a good idea to replace it anyway.

No double receiver option available with a 20P. I would honestly not spend the money for one and only add a receiver as a modular component instead of integrated with a keypad. Experience talking, wear items. Original installer ran a wire for a receiver in closet.

Motion should be OK. Smoke is going to be compatible, but if 10 years old, it's due to be replaced.

I can't recall if BHS used a siren or speaker, but tapping it on the battery would determine that quickly (see if separate driver needed or not).

Existing enclosure has plenty of room for a 7AH battery. Cable dressing should be considered to clean up panel.

Back