auto arming

joel7269

Something I thought I'd share that has been working good for me.

I wanted to create an auto arming on the system but found relying on motion sensors alone caused to many false armings. I felt that if motion was detected by just one sensor and the front door or garage door was never opened then it shouldn't ever auto arm because I'm still home.
So with that I added a second output to hold the two doors I wanted to use.

Here is the current setup:
Two outputs (for example 10 and 11; 10=Motion 11=Doors)
In order to auto arm I created a rule that whenever output 10 and 11 both become 0 then auto arm.

Here is how it happens
Whenever motion is detected on any of the motion sensors:
 -Turn on output 10 for 30 min and reset if already on.
 -Turn on output 11.
So if you only trigger just one motion sensor you would never have to worry about auto arm.

No for opening the key doors.
Whenever Front door becomes unsecure or garage door becomes secure:
 -Turn on output 10 for 30 min
 -Turn OFF output 11 (Opening the door is the only way to get output 11 to be 0)
This would give 30 minutes to hit another motion sensor and if it was the front door I would hit it right away. For the garage I actually made it turn output 11 to 0 when becomes secure just to give time if door was left open for whatever reason.

I have thought about an auto-arm scenario like this but - where do you find it useful? I am thinking it might be good at night if I'm in bed/forgot to arm. Except I have warnings in case the alarm has not been turned on by 11PM and hourly afterwards.

Since no mention to the panel, I'll post generically (I'm guessing Elk by the use of outputs).

Why not just have the system arm itself on a schedule.....assuming you're not arming the perimeter and interior at the same time. If you were already out, the system should, in theory, already be armed "away". A rule to arm the system "stay" or "night" will not override the system already being armed or change how the system is armed. The system could be further refined to leave auto-stay in...since you didn't leave through a door, it won't arm the system.

Just me thinking out loud, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that can be solved without phantom outputs and 3-4 rules, unless you're tacking on other rules to perform automation events based on disarming/auto arming....maybe some clarification of how this affects or any other rules and equipment that may be on the system.

Maybe there is a easier way but I wanted to arm away automatically since dealing with exit timers and trying to deal with kids trying to get out of the house is to much. My wife doesn't want to deal with pushing anything either so I wanted to create something that would arm away automatically. There is a 30 min delay before it would start but it doesn't seem like a big deal.
Yes this is for a ELK M1.

For me, I put an NFC sticker next to the bed. If I forget, I just tap it with my phone and the system arms. Not an "auto-arm", but its a  "seriously easy to arm", esp as I can all but draw my unlock pattern in my sleep. (obviously this only works if you have an android phone)

A long time ago I posted about one of my yet still unfinished projects... my wife and I keep our cars inside the garage - we both have our own single-car door and both cars have HomeLink - so in both cars, the outer buttons correlate to which garage door, and the center button is destined to go to my custom item - which is a Wayne Dalton universal receiver which is connected to an input on my M1 - so as you're pulling out of the garage, if you know you didn't bother to arm the house, you can just hit the middle button which will automatically close any open garage doors and arm the house away (which in turn turns out all the lights, kills the fireplace, etc).   As I keep burning through my unfinished projects, this is getting pretty close.

IVB said:
For me, I put an NFC sticker next to the bed. If I forget, I just tap it with my phone and the system arms. Not an "auto-arm", but its a  "seriously easy to arm", esp as I can all but draw my unlock pattern in my sleep. (obviously this only works if you have an android phone)

Can you please provide details on how you do this?

Back