Automated locks

HelenAndRussell said:
Alarm off + Door not ready = Door unlocked

There's a big difference between the door being opened or closed and unlocked.  A door not ready signal only tells you that it is open.  My wife and kids were continuously leaving the house and NOT locking the front door.  Door closed and alarm on/off doesn't make me feel any better about it still being unlocked.

I now have my system set to auto re-lock 60 seconds after the door is closed.  This has completely fixed the problem of the door being left unlocked.

Also, we have housekeepers that come every two weeks and I remotely let them in when they call.  I have much better piece of mind now that I have better control over the lock state.

I'm using the Kwikset Zigbee deadbolt with my HAI OPII.

JonW said:
There's a big difference between the door being opened or closed and unlocked.  A door not ready signal only tells you that it is open.  My wife and kids were continuously leaving the house and NOT locking the front door.  Door closed and alarm on/off doesn't make me feel any better about it still being unlocked.

I was addressing the several people that say they use the unlocking of the door to alert them in some way.  I was merely saying an wireless lock is not required for that purpose. 

Also, having a lock relock in 60 seconds doesn't require a wireless lock.  The Kwikset non-wireless lock has that as a built-in option. Granted, when I relock my lock I first verify that the door is secure before locking, which a stand-alone lock can't do. 

HelenAndRussell said:
Alarm off + Door not ready = Door unlocked

That only happens if the door is open - which is a different condition.  Sure, it can only happen if the door is unlocked, but that's a whole other variable.

If you wish to participate, please contribute something useful.

George M said:
Actually I misspoke on that. It is from Elk that I know the last user. I am using the Schlage lock. It does report the user, however I am using the Elk Driver through CQC and Elk does not support that info yet. I'm still hoping they add it to the firmware.
 Am I correct in saying that Elk still does not receive locked/unlocked status if the Schlage lock was used manually (e.g. key)?

I recall hearing this on one of their training videos. For some reason, I thought that it didn't auto report if a code was entered and the door was unlocked either... but I could be mis-remembering this.

ano said:
I was addressing the several people that say they use the unlocking of the door to alert them in some way.  I was merely saying an wireless lock is not required for that purpose. 

Also, having a lock relock in 60 seconds doesn't require a wireless lock.  The Kwikset non-wireless lock has that as a built-in option. Granted, when I relock my lock I first verify that the door is secure before locking, which a stand-alone lock can't do. 

This auto-relocking that you are referring to... I assume that it doesn't care if the door is closed or not, correct? So, if someone were to unlock the door, and leave the door open... after 60 seconds it's going to "lock". That doesn't sound all that useful to me. I'd like to know that the door is closed before the door is 'locked'...

I suppose if that's all someone is looking for that's fine, but I like the ability to check the status of my deadbolt remotely. We have a dog sitter who comes and lets our dog out 4x a week. It's nice to know when they arrive (disarm Elk via their user code), when they leave, and additionally I could check the lock status after they've left if I wanted to. Additionally, I could have the rules written in so many various ways to handle locking it if they didn't, to email me when it's locked, or to auto lock after the system is armed and the door is secured...

drvnbysound said:
This auto-relocking that you are referring to... I assume that it doesn't care if the door is closed or not, correct? So, if someone were to unlock the door, and leave the door open... after 60 seconds it's going to "lock". That doesn't sound all that useful to me. I'd like to know that the door is closed before the door is 'locked'...

I suppose if that's all someone is looking for that's fine, but I like the ability to check the status of my deadbolt remotely. We have a dog sitter who comes and lets our dog out 4x a week. It's nice to know when they arrive (disarm Elk via their user code), when they leave, and additionally I could check the lock status after they've left if I wanted to. Additionally, I could have the rules written in so many various ways to handle locking it if they didn't, to email me when it's locked, or to auto lock after the system is armed and the door is secured...

I had an old automated lock years ago that had the auto relock feature and it was a PIA.  The door would be left open, it would relock, then someone would try to shut the door with the deadbolt extended.  Ouch!  No, this is a smart version of that.

My current auto-relock is tied to the door status.  I use the security sensor on the door to trigger the start of a 60 second timer.  At the end of the 60 second timer, if the door is still closed, it auto locks.  If at any time the door is opened during the 60 second timer, the timer is cancelled.  When the door is then shut again, the 60 second timer starts all over again.  I have never once had the door closed with the deadbolt extended doing it this way and I never worried about it being left unlocked.

I have two high-school aged girls that when home alone are usually upstairs in their rooms with the doors shut listening to music, studying, etc.  I want to ensure that the front door is securely locked not only when everyone is gone, but also when they are home as they would not know if someone was to enter the house.

JonW said:
I had an old automated lock years ago that had the auto relock feature and it was a PIA.  The door would be left open, it would relock, then someone would try to shut the door with the deadbolt extended.  Ouch!  No, this is a smart version of that.

My current auto-relock is tied to the door status.  I use the security sensor on the door to trigger the start of a 60 second timer.  At the end of the 60 second timer, if the door is still closed, it auto locks.  If at any time the door is opened during the 60 second timer, the timer is cancelled.  When the door is then shut again, the 60 second timer starts all over again.  I have never once had the door closed with the deadbolt extended doing it this way and I never worried about it being left unlocked.

I have two high-school aged girls that when home alone are usually upstairs in their rooms with the doors shut listening to music, studying, etc.  I want to ensure that the front door is securely locked not only when everyone is gone, but also when they are home as they would not know if someone was to enter the house.
How is your auto-relock tied to the door status?

The post I made above was in reference to ano's mention (quoted) of using a non-wireless lock which has the auto-relock feature. I assume this non-wireless lock has no means of communication with any external system (e.g. door sensor).

drvnbysound said:
How is your auto-relock tied to the door status?
I use the logic in my HAI OmniPro II to tie it together.  Security sensor reports real-time status to the OPII and the logic timers run there.  The lock is a Zigbee lock controlled and monitored by the OPII.

Similarly, I have a Zwave model which interfaces with my Elk. However, the re-locking mentioned above was in the context of non-wireless locks.

Since I am having trouble updating my new profile, I can tell you here that I am using MCVs Vera3 with a Z-Wave based system with a few IP and serial controlled devices.  Since I started before Kwikset or anyone else had something to offer, I have Schlage Z-Wave locks.  I've convinced myself that Schlage is a good choice due to the long battery life, what I believe is a more difficult lock to pick, and there is no chance the lock will unlock itself with a mis-swipe on the smartphone.  FYI, even though the Kwikset has less buttons (two numbers per button) it offers 6-digit codes which put the possible number of codes higher than Schlage's 4-digits.

That being said I haven't really used the Z-Wave features of the lock that much.  Having gone through the early stages of MCV adding support for the lock, Beta testing, I still have a little mistrust as to the position of the lock reported to Vera and as a result I still catch myself doing a visual inspection so I can sleep peacefully.  But it has been reporting correctly so I need to break myself of that, ha ha.  If I would be letting anyone in while I was away it would be a family member and I think it has happened at least once in the years of owning it.  I don't think I would never need auto-lock since the operation of the lock is a vast improvement in convenience over traditional locks, so I'd never forget to lock the door.  Mainly, I appreciate the keyless entry/exit (don't forget about the exit because that is when you are in a hurry), the ability to assign different codes to people and revoke access when needed, and setting scenes on entry of code like turning entry light on if after dusk. 

I have no concerns over someone hacking the lock since rock through window is the path of least resistance in my case.  In fact, I encourage anyone visiting to try and hack their way in and then giggle like an idiot when they can't.  I agree with needing a door sensor coupled with the lock to be effective for security since a door can report locked and be open, or an alarm can report a door closed while it may be unlocked.  I just don't understand why this hasn't been built into any of the locks and their strike plates for a much more secure solution over tack on door sensors.     

I just visited the Kwikset booth at this week's ISC West Security Show in Las Vegas and they are coming out with a multiple button lock so there will no longer be two numbers on one button.

They also assured me that their locks are completely bump proof.

They are coming out with a new Bluetooth lock and all one needs to do is 'tap' it to open it if it's in range of their paired phone (IVB, you need this lock!).

A complete exclusive report with photos is forthcoming!

Awesome news, I will wait to upgrade my locks. I hope they build in a door sensor too. The competition and demand with this type of lock is finally creating lots of choices and features.

BraveSirRobbin said:
By 'door sensor' do you mean a deadbolt throw/position indicator?  I don't think that is in their line.

The locks already transmit their locked status - e.g. deadbolt throw position. Doesn't matter if it is locked/unlocked manually or via automation, it is transmitted.

BraveSirRobbin said:
They are coming out with a new Bluetooth lock and all one needs to do is 'tap' it to open it if it's in range of their paired phone (IVB, you need this lock!).

A complete exclusive report with photos is forthcoming!

I look forward to the report.  I hope this doesn't mean once I am inside and within Bluetooth range of the door, anyone can 'tap' to open.

Back