Automated locks

drvnbysound said:
Motorized in the sense that they actually move the deadbolt? Or motorized, where they release their clutch mechanism and allow a user to turn the lock?

It's been a while since I looked into the Schlage locks, but the last time I checked they still required a person to be present (with their clutch-style system).

BE469 is fully motorized and can be remotely actuated.  I think this new deadbolt hit the market around January of this year or so.

http://consumer.schlage.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ModelNumber=BE469NX%20CAM%20619

Note to anyone considering this unit ... there was a problem including with third-party z-wave controllers (ie. anything other than the Schlage Nexia controller) that is apparently resolved with a new firmware upgrade.  The new firmware is just released, but there are probably several locks in the retail/wholesale chain with the older firmware.  To upgrade, you either need to ship the lock back to Schlage or upgrade via Nexia bridge.

It is, in all other respects, a great unit IMO.

Ken,

Where are you getting these? Direct? I did a quick search on ASI and Automated Outlet, and I didn't see these listed on either of their sites.

I got mine from handlesets.com, but they are also available from amazon.com so at least two places for price comparison.  Smarthome (or for me, the Canadian eqiuvalent - Aartech) don't seem to have jumped in yet.

Thanks for the info. I've been pretty happy with my Kwikset's, but I'm always looking for alternatives. I think I've had mine for about a year and a half or a bit longer... I can hear an audible difference in the lock now... sounds like it's taking more to lock/unlock. I assume that it's just general wear of being used on a daily basis. I'd be interested to try the Schlage's just to see if I liked them better...

Am I correct to assume that the Schlage models can directly interface with Zwave controllers.. and not require an account with Schlage (Nexia)?

drvnbysound - I've had my Kwikset for about the same amount of time and it's used at least 1 to 2 dozen times a day without any issues.  My guess would be that there is a slight change in your lock/strike that is causing the labored actuation as opposed to the lock itself wearing.

Possibly... I won't say that the door is set perfect by any means... but when it's closed all the way, I can easily lock/unlock it manually via the knob on the back. This is the only indication that I have that have to feel that it shouldn't be labored during actuation :(

drvnbysound said:
Am I correct to assume that the Schlage models can directly interface with Zwave controllers.. and not require an account with Schlage (Nexia)?

Yep, correct.  But with the caveat regarding firmware as noted in my post above.  I found a thread on the micasa forum with 15 pages detailing the struggles with this lock - resolution required firmware upgrade for the micasa as well as for the Schlage lockset.  The new Schlage firmware is being rolled out now, it appears.  Thread is here --> http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=13334.0 .  The last 3 or 4 pages have the best detail about upgrades and results.

Schlage's own statement from their FAQ page:  http://consumer.schlage.com/Service-Support/Pages/FAQ.aspx

For my setup, I'm currently using the nexia bridge, but with a view to migrating over to the ISY in the long term.  I currently have the alpha version of the new z-wave module for the ISY, so supported devices are limited.  But UDI seems to be pretty dedicated to rolling out a complete solution so I'm keeping faith that I'll be able put full support of the locks onto that controller.  I'm no fan of the nexia cloud solution.  I guess it's great for the basic level user, but there's no programming capability at all outside of simple scene-based actions, and the paid cloud account just irks me.

JonW said:
drvnbysound - I've had my Kwikset for about the same amount of time and it's used at least 1 to 2 dozen times a day without any issues.  My guess would be that there is a slight change in your lock/strike that is causing the labored actuation as opposed to the lock itself wearing.

The weakness of the Kwiksets (my opinion) is the doubling of digits on the keys, so rather than 10 digits, there are effectively 5.  So the maximum number of possible combinations in a 4-digit code is 5^4=625, where the Schlage allows a full 10^4=10,000 possible codes.  Also FYI, the new BE469 allows you to set the codes as anything from 4- to 8-digit in length (must be the same # of digits for all codes).

KenN said:
The weakness of the Kwiksets (my opinion) is the doubling of digits on the keys, so rather than 10 digits, there are effectively 5.  So the maximum number of possible combinations in a 4-digit code is 5^4=625, where the Schlage allows a full 10^4=10,000 possible codes.  Also FYI, the new BE469 allows you to set the codes as anything from 4- to 8-digit in length (must be the same # of digits for all codes).

While I agree that I'd rather have a full keypad, Kwikset codes can be up to 8 digits long, so that's 5^8 = 390,625 possible codes.  My house is using a 7 digit code and nobody complains.  I think the trick to using a long code is to make it a pattern instead of a number.  My kids couldn't even tell you what the number is, but they can do the pattern without looking.

Ehh, I don't really care all that much about the number of combinations. Opening the door doesn't have to be any harder than throwing a rock though the window... it's just there to keep the honest person out. That's why I've got the Elk ;-)

The reason I have the motorized deadbolt (mentioned previously) is so that I can check the status after I've left (if I feel that I may have left it unlocked) or unlock it if I'm away from home and need to let someone in... If I didn't care for either of these things I may as well have a standard deadbolt on there.

KenN said:
FYI, Kwikset is coming out with a ten button lock (was shown at their ISC West Booth this past week).  I will do a full report shortly.

lock.jpg

I just installed 2 BE469NX's. Seems even the Leviton installer tool does not support the new security class yet. The locks did enroll, but not fully (shows as generic zwave lever lock) and there is no control of them at all from the installer software.

KenN said:
To upgrade, you either need to ship the lock back to Schlage or upgrade via Nexia bridge.

Just an update, the above statement is false. Nexia is working with other manufacturers now on a way to update by using "their" controllers.
They wouldn't say which manufacturers, or which controllers, or even give a timeline but it's still positive news to me.

Back