automating garage door

v1rtu0s1ty said:
It doesn't say negative or positive however, it does say what color to use. If we use the color coding, RED is always a positive. Does everyone concur?
Not always. Sometimes the stripe is NEG. You can either look at the GDO itself and see if it is marked there, look at the circuit traces and see if one looks to be a ground/neg or just try it - usually you can not hurt anything if hooked up wrong. Or, if you mave that meter, put it on low voltage DC setting and put your red lead on the red wire and black on the other. If the meter shows + voltage you are right and red is +. If it shows - then reverse it.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
It doesn't say negative or positive however, it does say what color to use. If we use the color coding, RED is always a positive. Does everyone concur?
No, I think that is four wire garage door opener wiring standard, not alarm system.

You need the M1XOVR or M1RB to use anything (like relay control) past 3. The others are there but can only be used as phantom outputs without an expansion board.

Steve, I thought these modules could be used to convert outputs 3 to 16 to relays as needed:
ELK-924

rfdesq said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
No, I think that is four wire garage door opener wiring standard, not alarm system.
I only see 2 conductor. The other 2 conductors on the picture goes to the other smaller gdo. I don't know if we are on the same page though.

Steve said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Not always. Sometimes the stripe is NEG. You can either look at the GDO itself and see if it is marked there, look at the circuit traces and see if one looks to be a ground/neg or just try it - usually you can not hurt anything if hooked up wrong. Or, if you mave that meter, put it on low voltage DC setting and put your red lead on the red wire and black on the other. If the meter shows + voltage you are right and red is +. If it shows - then reverse it.
Ok, I will test the terminals later. Thanks for that cool tip! :D

EDIT: Just an fyi and maybe it would give more info as a safety measure when I start installing it. So let me know guys.

When I press the open button, the light on the garage motor also turns on and it will turn off after 2 or 3 mins. If I press the light button, it turns on the light on the garage motor and never turns off. I will have to double check that later. If let say, the light is off and the garage is open for a period of time, and I walk thru the sensor, the light will turn on again.

The other two are probably for the light and lock. Just make sure you know what those two wires on the GDO do and isolate them from the M1 with a proper relay.

I'm very sure that the other 2 is going to the other gdo on the left. Look at the lower picture again on the first page. I will open both cases later and will take a picture to make sure I will be fine.

I took new shots and it's attached. The RED label also showed a positive reading in my meter. I set the meter to Volts and placed it to 600 just to be safe. :p Reading was 18. Then I swapped the cable and reading became -18. I did this for both switches/buttons.

So looks like I'm ready to go. All that is left is to purchase 2 overhead sensors. :D Am I correct that these overhead sensors only use 2 conductors?

Thanks everyone! :D

Attachments

• 2gdos_and_wirings.jpg
    2gdos_and_wirings.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 25
v1rtu0s1ty said:
So looks like I'm ready to go. All that is left is to purchase 2 overhead sensors. :D Am I correct that these overhead sensors only use 2 conductors?
I'm lost, why do you need two sensors?

Oh, you rich people :D. Wouldn't you need three sensors then? And yes, they should all be two wire switches.

Cool! I might start first with the sprinkler system water flow valve. I haven't started it yet. I do have the wires(RadioShack) ready though. Right now, I'm finishing all the window contacts in first floor. I only have 3 locations left(living room side window, kitchen window above sink, and patio door.)

Back