Automating my shop

olie

I have an omnipro 2 in my house. But I recently built a shop on my property and am looking to add simple automation to it. Ive added a couple upb plugs that work great for Xmas lights etc. But Im looking to add it as a new zone through pc access. And add door sensors and motion sensors as well. Where would I start with this... sorry Im not the most familiar with how to add all of these things. I have the Leviton Wireless Receiver in my house that works with the wireless door sensors. Seems expensive to buy another receiver and more sensors for the shop. Hoping someone has a better idea...? Im open to hear anything anyone has for me. Thanks :)

As you guessed, it could be the best solution is to install another wireless receiver unless your existing receiver will pickup the sensors you plan to install in the shop; the option if the wireless sensors are too far away is to use wired sensors over a fiber transceiver (to avoid static/lightning damage). 

If wireless works, simply follow the instructions for the wireless receiver to add your sensors then name them in PC Access so you'll know which sensor is which. :)
If wireless does not work and you don't want to install a second receiver, after you wire the wired sensors to the OPII, name them as suggested.

Alternative 1 - there are other wireless transmitters out there that accept wired sensor connections and have longer transmitter range but there will be no supervision like you'll have with Leviton wireless.
Alternative 2 - use a Simply Automated UMI-32 UPB I/O module and connect your wired sensors but there will be no supervision like you'll have with Leviton wireless.

Alternative 2 also has the potential benefit of being stand alone in that the UPB I/O module can control other UPB devices directly without the need for an automation controller in the middle. I did this for the lights in our his and hers walk in closets. Door switch for each door to UPB I/O module sends signal to appropriate UPB light switch (mounted in box on ceiling in each closet) that turns on the closet light. Added bonus, lights turn out automatically after 20 minutes if the door is left open (controlled by config of Simply Automated light switch settings)  I use CQC for my home automation, it's knows the status of the light and can also independently control the light but with this setup I don't depend on the automation software to manage the on / off state of the lights in the closets the I/O module handles this directly. 

ok so just so I understand this correctly. If I were to use UPB I/O module I wouldn't be able to monitor this in the same way that I do currently.. for example with my haiku app... Under areas add "Shop" or something of that nature.
And if I have to use the leviton wireless receiver to have it that way... do I physically need to run a wire from my OPII panel inside my house all the way to the shop... or how do I go about doing that?? Sorry if these are basic questions, but I am fairly new to this as I bought a house that had the automation in it and am learning on the fly. Thanks again for all help :)

For my shop I just use Lutron Maestro motion switches, which turn on the lights when motion is detected.  This works because the switch sees any and all motion in that room so it works and works well.  I think I have the delay set to 10 min so it keeps the light on for 10 minutes and resets back to 10 min any time it senses motions.

For the house, even though I have Lutron RadioRa2, I also use the Lutron Maestro motion switches for the bathrooms and laundry room.  I don’t have an ability to control or monitor those rooms obviously but I don’t need nor want to and it is a heck of a lot cheaper for the Maestro motion than even the cheapest RadioRa2 switch.

Back