Baffled - Cat 6 Connection.

If this is POE, I'm wondering if you are getting to much voltage drop over that long of a cable distance.  Can you possibly measure the voltage AT the camera?

The voltage drop on the cable is a function of the amperage E=IR.    

Therefore the voltage reaching the camera will be less when you pulling current through the cable than when you are just measuring the voltage.   

It is possible that the resistance on the cable has increased due to corrosion, and you are not getting the full voltage to the camera.   

One idea is to make sure any heater or IR illuminator is turned off-- to reduce the current draw.

The other is to cut the ends off, short each pair at one end and measure its resistance at the other end.   Then compare that to the specs for cat 6.   

I see the IR lights come on when it boots and I here the normal "clicks".  I think power isn't a problem.  The flapping on the port indicates its something in the cable.  The switch will be here soon so I will cut the cable at the garage entrance, put an end on it and eliminate probably another 100 feet.  We will see if that fixes it.  I didn't want to have another network device lingering but at this point I don't really have other options....

Neil

So I installed the new switch between the current POE switch and where the camera enters the garage. Works like a charm.  I don't know WTF but it works!  Apparently that wire did degrade in some way that the power isn't enough or the connection isn't strong enough?

I also ordered dielectric grease to grease up when the new parts come for the next camera.

I will electric grease it and electrical tape I guess?  That connection lives in an aliminimum pole but I think it has holes in the top of it for the powder coatings.  Maybe I will caulk those holes now :)

Neil

I will electric grease it and electrical tape I guess? 

Check out the outdoor electrical tape on Amazon.  

IE: Weatherproof Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Sealing Tape For Outdoor Antenna Coax & Electrical Cables.

Ordered - thanks!
It must have been an Amp drop when it came down to it.  I might have just been within tolerance but lost it somewhere in between.  It works and im happy about that because trust me pulling another cable is not an easy task.  I will look at the footage printed on the cable when I add back the second camera.

Before you added the new switch, did you try the camera with the full length cable on a different port of the primary switch?  I'm wondering if maybe the one port was going bad and was able to drive a short cable, but not a long one.

Well- I gotta tell you I finally got the second camera rebuilt with new parts from the manufacturer and it works perfectly on my desk.  I mounted the camera on the pole today since the weather wasn't so hot!

Well it turns on and gets power but can't communicate.  Similar to the setup I had before I put the intermediary switch in.  Interestingly this old camera worked with the original switch another several hundred feet away.  I gave up.  Hung it up and walked away.  I don't care anymore.  Technology wins, I lose.

Maybe switch up the wiring within the RJ45 connection? One or more of the conductors may be bad. Not all conductors, though.

I also battled corrosion in St. Croix. I had t re-terminate the POTS connections a few times, over 10-15 years, seaside condo.

Back