Battery Backup Life

nov0798

All,
I have an M1 that I installed October of 08. The other day I received a message on the keypad that said low battery. So I went down and checked it, however the battery has 13.9v in it. I unplugged the system, and the system ran on battery power for over an hour before I plugged it back in. When I checked today, the battery has 13.9v again. Do you know why I may have gotten the message, or is the battery actually bad?

Thanks
Brian

A battery replacement after almost 5 years is not uncommon. Probably better to replace it now than to have it leak on you later.

Voltage is only half the equation.

The battery may meter out fine, but when running on a load, drops off significantly or rapidly.

The standby time on a 5 year old battery is close to nil. Run a 100 W load on the battery and watch how fast it drops (or your panel with no AC)

It would have been good to measure the battery voltage at the end of the one hour run to better assess the battery capacity.  And, there is a slight possibility that a bad connection caused the fault indication.

All in all, five years on an alarm battery is very good life!

I ignored the initial warnings on mine - and finally a couple months later went to replace it only to find that it's bulged/blown open on the sides and made a mess... about the same timeframe.  They're cheap - not worth the risk.  As the internal components fail it may show the same fully charged voltage but have issues when charging and with any sustained load.

Back