Best Alarm panel for automation

gator

Anyone have any suggestions for the best home alarm panel with around 40 points that works well for automation (have lighting system (LiteTouch)) and want to add other stuff including water valve, freezing, etc. I currently have a Radionics (Bosch) 7212 and am looking to upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

many will tell you to go with an elk as its a SOLID security system with the ability to add on features, zones, automation, etc. i am partial to on-q. the On-q 1100 has ethernet but its pricey at over a grand. you can get a smaller one, same with elk, but have to add and spend more to get to do things you want it to do. and you will be limited on the smaller controllers. its all about what you want to spend, LOL. you didnt mention a budget.

you will have to add expansion panels or zone boards likely to get to 40 points unless many of those are chained together.

good luck!

Thanks for that comment and budget is important. I'm thinking around <$1000 for basic hardware since I also need basic automation controller. I formerly had a Circuit Celler HS2 system up and running until lightning struck the street in front of my house. I repaired it but never fired it up again.

I do like the ELK M1 products but it seems like I saw a 500 or so rule limitation for that unit.

Greg

My personal "decision-making" finding was that Elk folks are readily available to the DIY'er here on CT. That type of access is invaluable to a newb like me.

I'm using an Elk M1 with my litetouch system and I'd highly recommend it. Elk doesn't support litetouch, but I have a serial expander card connected to my litetouch controller (5000) and have rules to turn lights on and off based on conditions. The main reason I got the M1 is so I can "flash" lights during an alarm condition because my wife is hard of hearing. I have it set up such that when you open outside doors at nights, it turns the outside lights on, etc.

Alternate approach to M1: (M1 is very common here so you will get lots of feedback about this approach. I believe it's a good unit with some limitations. I chose not to follow this route)

Buy a GE Networx (formerly Caddx) and a smart HA controller (there are several good options, I chose Homevision Pro). The Networx security is very good, and integrates very easily into HA controllers. My HVPro is very powerful and has been able to do everything I've wanted. Not a knock against M1, but I've seen several posts about people having to work around some limitations in it...

I like having 2 systems. My security system is very robust. If something happens to my HA system, I can unplug it and my security system still works fine. But since they are integrated (simple serial cable), every security zone looks just like an input to my HA system - so I can automate based on security activity (doors opening, motion sensors activated, alarm status, etc.). I believe it's the best of both worlds...

The negatives for this approach: Cost (2 systems to buy).

Another option is to add a PC into the mix with MainLobby as MainLobby supports both Litetouch (system 5000) and the ELK (and HAI). That way you are covered from all angles.

In many home automation applications, the security system is the center of the universe. Lighting control, HVAC, etc. rely on the arm/disarm state and door status of the security system to make decisions on how the home automation system will function. An all inclusive system can make the integration easier. Adding a good PC based automation software package amplifies what the home automation system can do.

In many home automation applications, the security system is the center of the universe. Lighting control, HVAC, etc. rely on the arm/disarm state and door status of the security system to make decisions on how the home automation system will function. An all inclusive system can make the integration easier. Adding a good PC based automation software package amplifies what the home automation system can do.

Check out This Guide that compares the features of all models of Elk, HAI, and OnQ. It's rather lengthy and was created with the help of Engineers from Elk (Spanky), HAI and OnQ. So, it's pretty accurate. The data that's presented is just as it was given to us with no editing.

As others have posted, adding a PC to the automation will probably make your setup more flexible. If I were a purist, I would prefer the lot to be in an embedded system however there is really nothing on the market being embedded that can offer the flexibility of many Windows HA systems.

So if you leave your Alarm as an embedded system, you've got a much higher chance of the thing not falling over when you most need it. A number have posted about the virtues of the ELK system and having people like Spanky in the forum. The ELK is pretty good and the Serial Protocol allows for a lot of flexibility in managing it from a HA system. The ELK has some quirks but I'm sure most others have them too. Personally I would vouch for the ELK, the architecture makes sense, its very flexible from an Alarm point of view while still being reasonably feature rich in the Automation side.

If you're looking to integrate all different sorts of technology like 1-wire, rf ground loops, house music, callerid on screen, touch screens (outside of the ELK touch screen) then you should seriously think about adding a PC Based HA sollution. I've paired an ELK with Homeseer which has offered a damm good platform to plug things into.

ELK: has 40 points of monitoring, controls X10 lighting, TR40 Thermostat and manages contact lighting and pool equipment out the back. It sends and receives information via the Ethernet expander.

Homeseer: House lighting, Music, Touchscreen, 1-Wire Temperature, Bluetooth interface, GSM SMS Engine, House Speech Announcements, Event Management. The event management (rule builder) is extremely flexible and relatively easy to use.

I hope this post hasnt gone too far off thread however I've wanted to show that by combining the best of both, you can build something extremely powerfull. My latest addition is a Roomba Vacuum cleaner and I've added a Bluetooth receiver to it. I can schedule Homeseer to send the robot out and vacuum and come home whenever I want. To the point, I can create events that can be activated by my ELK Keypad, Web Page, MSN Messenger and Touchscreen that can send it on a cleaning mission :)

Cheers 4 now :) Pete

THANKS everyone for the suggestions. I like the ELK products and will probably go with that and MainLobby. I like the Homeseer stuff and particularly the Hometroller product but they have nothing for LiteTouch and MainLobby seems to be a very active product with lots happening.

Best regards,

Greg

THANKS everyone for the suggestions. I like the ELK products and will probably go with that and MainLobby. I like the Homeseer stuff and particularly the Hometroller product but they have nothing for LiteTouch and MainLobby seems to be a very active product with lots happening.
I highly suggest whatever software you think you are going to use, to get a free "full" running trial and test drive it before making a commitment to purchase. :)

In your case I would get the Elk and learn it, then get the MainLobby trial software and test drive it with your hardware.

Back