Best methods for mounting components inside an enclosure?

Which model TP-LINK are you using for your PoE injector?  Is it this one?  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm presently using this one (which has only 4 PoE ports), primarily because it's inexpensive:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
No problems as of yet.

I may get this as my next PoE injector:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GAATOG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
The reviews seem to attest that it comes with plenty as useable power without getting hot.  It seems to help the heat management to have the power converter (and related heat) outside the switch enclosure.

So far, though, I'm unimpressed with the manufactured quality of the TP-LINK splitters.  Maybe I got a bad batch, but out of 6 brand new ones, 2 went bad almost immediately.  Luckily with Amazon, swapping for replacements is almost as painless as can be.  Not sure what pricing you got, but even the regular amazon pricing seems pretty good:  http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-POE10R-Gigabit-Splitter-compliant/dp/B003CFATQK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401744261&sr=1-2&keywords=tp-link+splitter

Relating to the little POE switches I tested many 8 port ones that were reasonably priced. 

I also tested the little Tycon POE switches (have everyone they make).  The Tycon POE switches worked the best for me. 

I have every model of the little ones and one 24 port mid-span injector.

I did purchase all of the Tycon stuff at reasonable prices.

The little reasonably priced non Tycon 8/4 port POE switches got really warm with more than 2 POE Joggler connections.

Openpeak Jogglers draw more than the IP HD cameras.

I have though settled mostly on using the managed Tycon midstream 24 port POE switch which is just a mid stream power injector.

It is not a network switch but does have a network management interface relating to the POE ports.  It is old and works just fine.

The only issue I had with it was that it was locked and I didn't get the password with it and there is no way to reset it.  I spoke to the seller who provided the password after speaking to CS at Tycon who had the device still registered under the old owner.  They were very good with me relating to my technical inquiries about the device.

I am currently using the first and second generation of TP-Link power splitters.  They are all over the house mostly connected to the Joggler's. 

TyconPower

Neurorad said:
You could consider plywood inside the back of the box.

Yeah, but in a small box you'd lose depth.  That and given boxes are relatively cheap it wouldn't be much of a shame to just screw directly into the plastic of the box itself.  Which, unless you used really short screws (and get no holding power) you're going to do anyway when they poke through the plywood.

Leviton's 6" deep Media Versatile enclosure ships with 3/4" plywood in the back.

86519.jpg

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=47602-24E&section=42388

Sounds like 3/4" thickness then, so the grommet screws have something meaningful to bite into.  Loss of depth isn't a problem in my case, as the devices are all <2" thick anyway.

I realize it doesn't prove much, but the picture hangers are holding just fine so far....

Not following...3/4" plywood in a 4" deep box still leaves at least 3" nominal with air space before you come close to the top of the enclosure....if the depth is a concern, then we can look at 1/2" to gain another 1/4" nominal.
wkearney99 said:
Yeah, but in a small box you'd lose depth.  That and given boxes are relatively cheap it wouldn't be much of a shame to just screw directly into the plastic of the box itself.  Which, unless you used really short screws (and get no holding power) you're going to do anyway when they poke through the plywood.

Hi Neurorad,

Where did you get the those Velcro brackets from? Exactly what I am looking for at the moment.

I suspect they will be hard to locate in Australia.....hopefully somewhere online that ships to Aus?

Regards,

Fleetz

Neurorad said:
I bought my Industrial Velcro at Home Depot.  I originally used it in my enclosure about 5 years ago, but replaced the modem with one that has keyholes for mounting.  I've used it on various projects, holds up well - thought not sure of heat resistance.

I most recently used it to fix a phone cradle to my bathroom granite vanity top, about 18 mos ago.  Has been holding up a WAP (Ubiquiti Unifi) to the underside of a cabinet shelf for about a year and a half.  Holds a small DirecTV client to the back of a slim TV (1 year); before that it was a small Comcast box.

I prefer screws in enclosures, personally, once you know something is fairly permanent.  But even screws are easily changed.

I have a few Velcro One-Wrap ties holding cables behind drywall, drilled to the studs, no grommets.  Extra cables, for future use, coiled and fixed to studs.

x_sr173_6bk_k_72dpi.jpg

Velcro One-Wrap is also available at Home Depot, gray and black 2-pack.
pACE3-997164t181.jpg

A handful of these, plus Velcro or zip ties, might be good for mounting your hardware in your enclosure:

7083.jpg

BTW... I have those velcro straps running across my attic holding up my wiring bundle. There is nothing but a screw threw the top half of it - been fine for 12 yrs. now.

video321 said:
BTW... I have those velcro straps running across my attic holding up my wiring bundle. There is nothing but a screw threw the top half of it - been fine for 12 yrs. now.
Not allowed within my locale. Same goes with the old ty-rap through a romex staple to secure a bundle. Cable management vertically is one thing, but the AHJ's here will not allow it for horizontal support....they're worried about the burn through or melting factor and cabling dropping onto fire fighters.

Back