Outdoor video cam recommendatios?

Not sure if a wifi megapixel camera makes sense outdoors.  It still needs power, so as long as a cable is needed it may as well be a PoE cable connected to a PoE switch.

Besides, a 2.4G 802.11n wifi is limited to about 35-40 Mbit/s in good conditions which will probably be enough for max 8 Hikvision style cameras (5 Mbit/s/camera).

vc1234 said:
Not sure if a wifi megapixel camera makes sense outdoors.  It still needs power, so as long as a cable is needed it may as well be a PoE cable connected to a PoE switch.

Besides, a 2.4G 802.11n wifi is limited to about 35-40 Mbit/s in good conditions which will probably be enough for max 8 Hikvision style cameras (5 Mbit/s/camera).

Good point and the reason that I want to get this cam in the first place is to move it around and see if I like the placement. I don't want to do the work of pulling cables to a location only to find out that I don't like the view.

I'll also use it to watch for rodents in my pool heater. It is going to be more of an installation design tool than a surveillance camera.

Mike.

Here many years ago installed a POE network port (weather protected) on my deck and tested a variety of cameras temporary way back dragging long cables out from the deck and pulling them back when cutting the lawn. Thinking I had done this for first generation Ubiquiti cameras mostly to test the cameras outside.  Thinking I posted here when doing this way long time ago.

Why not use a single PoE injector and a laptop? That way you have PoE everywhere you have an extension cord, and can test cameras before mounting them?

EyeofSauron said:
Why not use a single PoE injector and a laptop? That way you have PoE everywhere you have an extension cord, and can test cameras before mounting them?

How is that better than using a walwart to power the cam? Either way I would have power to the camera anywhere I have an extension cord. And while the camera would have an ethernet cable connected to it the laptop would still be dependent on wifi.

I may install a POE system at some point but right now I just have four standalone cameras and no NVR. One is wifi, four are cabled and I just use them to look in on things.

Mike.

EyeofSauron said:

I like the idea for viewing different camera positions on the laptop screen but it would be nicer to be able to leave the cam in place for a day or two to see if I like it at different times of day for sunlight angle and whatever else I can see.

Mike.

Nearly all outdoor security cameras are equipped with a motion sensor that will trigger the camera to record video when motion is detected. The sensor can also initiate a push alert to your phone when activity is taking place, and some will also generate an email alert. For an extra layer of security, look for a camera with sound detection that can let you know if somebody is out there even if they're out of range of the camera lens and the motion sensor. I am using Nest cam IQ door camera and am pretty satisfied with it's performance.

Most outdoor security cameras have an IP66 rating, which means they offer complete protection from dust ingress and can handle water jets from any direction, but shouldn't be immersed in water. They're typically safe from rain, snow, heat, and cold.

Back