Best technology for HA ?

mishoboss

Hi, all.
Last year I spent on searching and learning the HA scope. I did this because I want to integrate a HA system in my new apartment. However I don't want any system, but system that is robust, fast, vendor-independent (why not open source) and lastly, but not the least - cheap! Yes, cheap! I don't want to sell a kidney just to buy some hardware.

Let me introduce you my case:
- The apartment is ready for hard-wired solution of any kind. I have installed corrugated tube from a central place to any point I want to control, like wall-switches and so on. So I can put any cable I want for communication purpose (i.e. CAT5).
- I did the same with the high-power cables. I have a separate cable from the fusebox to every circuit I want to control separately. I did normal wiring too in case I don't want automation or I can't afford it in the beginning.
- I'm installing right now VIMAR switches and appliances. They have push-buttons of any kind with light indication. My idea is to put a HA control unit behind the switches. VIMAR offers a complete HA solution, but I have to sell a kidney to buy it, and as I said, I don't want to do that.
- I'm an IT with some knowledge of electronics and I'm not afraid of DIY projects if they're good enough. I even started build myself some basic hardware.
- I'm planning to use a Linux box with Open Remote software installed. This way I have a central control system and I can use any device with touchscreen from any vendor (there is iOS, Android and web-based client).
- I live in Bulgaria, Europe. Here we have big solid walls and technologies like ZigBee (2.4GHz) aren't the best option here. Also I'm on 230V AC.

Could you tell me a technology, open source project, company or anything that offers HA modules for DIYers? I don't care if they're wired, wireless or powerline (except X10 - please, don't offer me this). I just need some hint or direction I could search for solutions. After a whole year of searching I didn't find a single technology or ready module that I could use and be happy with it.

So, any hint or info is more than welcome. Thanks!

There is a company called INELS in the Czech Republic which offers some interesting hardware. I don't remember the pricing, but I remember it was very affordable. See my CEDIA review for a few pictures and more details. They were also showing off their system on Linux, so maybe their system is partially open source.

Thanks a lot for pointing me on INELS. The system looks really great. I sent them a request for a price list and I hope the modules to be affordable and available for DIYs, though they don't look so.

Any other hint or info is more than welcome :)

With hardwire lighting solutions becoming somewhat antiquated, you may want to look into PLC technologies or mesh networks. Having solid walls, anything RF is going to be a bear to get working.

It may help if you explain exactly what you want to automate (IE: lighting, security, remote access, software, etc.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the response, adhllc.
Sub-GHz spectrum is working well here in Europe. We use a lot 868Mhz and 433Mhz. These frequencies offer lower speeds than 2.4GHz, but better penetration. I think the European Z-wave modules uses the 868Mhz freq.

What I want to automate is this:
- 7-8 dimmer circuits for lights (probably the lights would be LED, but the modules MUST offer incandescent dimming too)
- 7-8 relay modules (ON/OFF). They would be used for lights and ventilation control.
- Some kind of thermostat control. I have Honeywell thermo valves (see the attachment bellow). They are normal close (NC) valves and operate on 230V AC. I want to control locally each room's temperature and also read the temp. data and set temperature from central server.
IMG_4770.jpg
- 4 shutters

Thats it. For security I would probably use PARADOX system and use a Serial or Ethernet bridge to connect to my HA system. The communication protocol is my work.
For HA server/gateway I would probably use some plug computer like SheevaPlug or mini-ITX Atom PC. I want to use Linux (Windows is too hackable, needs more resources and I just don't like it for that job). The software is the tricky part. I like very much OpenRemote. It's a very nice open source Java written software that let's you build your own interface and communicate via several protocols. However it still misses some basic features like rules engine and others. So, if you know something better, I'm open to suggestions.

I will use some Android tablets (probably China made) mounted on walls for advanced control and visualization.

This is my idea. And I don't have $20 000 to spend for this :(

I know hard-wired solutions are "antiquated" and maybe that's the reason they're more expensive, though they don't have sophisticated RF or powerline modems that costs 50-60 times more than a regular RS-485 chip for example. I'm open to RF and powerline solutions too if they're good enough and cheap enough.

I'm taking any suggestions for everything.

I think INELS quoted around $500 for their main controller unit, and the modules were much cheaper. Let me know if they respond, I'm curious to see their response.

Thanks, Dan. So far no response from them...
I found a company called Eltako (http://www.eltako.com/en.html) that makes RS-485 modules for HA. They have everything - dimmers, shutters, HVAC controls. However they're more pricey than I think a RS-485 module has to be.

So, the big search continues. Anyone? :)

Home Automation is always going to be expensive if you want something that works. Would the european implementation of UPB work? What about KNX?

KNX is too expensive for me. It will definitely costs me a kidney.
I can't find UPB modules to buy. Could you point me to a store or a company that sells them in Europe?

Here's some great free software: http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Premise

It's windows based. However, almost all of the user contributed modules have their source code exposed as well as the web browser. This software is very robust and will do everything you are talking about. It's highly customizable and not manufacturer specific. If you have some programming experience, it also includes an SDK for C++, .net etc...

Thanks, etc6849. I know Premise. It's really great software. However it seems it's no longer is supported and is Windows based as you said. The reason I want Linux solutions is that Linux can run on PlugComputer like SheevaPlug that consumes very little power and takes literally no space. Also you could access and configure it remotely from every device with SSH.

Thanks for the info, Dan. Yes, I could buy from AutomatedOutlet.com (and every other USA e-shop), but the shipment to Bulgaria is very costly and there are many taxes I have to pay. I'll probably pay more than $200 for a $129.50 UPB 1 Channel Relay Module and that's in the case I buy at least 15 modules. Sad picture :(

If you find a linux program that's as easy to use as Premise and has the same features, let me know and I'll take a look ;)

I haven't been able to find any software that's as open or as well thought out. Yes, Premise is no longer supported by Motorola (not that a Linux solution would be either), but there are videos to train you, great help files with examples and a support forum comprised of many users.

Premise Builder lets you modify your system from anywhere in the world and has a very intuitive interface. As far as support for new devices, since Premise is open, users add support for new devices all of the time (UIRT, Elk M1G, Z-Wave (Vizia RF+), W800RF32); this means Premise is likely to be used for at least another decade IMHO. I really wouldn't get too hung up on a linux solution that is as open and easy to use because I don't think it exists; it would be great if it did though!

I don't think his issue is that it is Windows, but more that it won't run on a tiny embedded device.

Open Source solutions:
- http://www.misterhouse.com
- http://www.domotiga.nl/
- http://www.bwired.nl/
- http://www.linuxha.com/

I'm also going to do something linux based. I don't want to run my house on Windows. :)

Back