best termination for minicoax?

jlokanis

What is the best tool for terminating mincoax? Is there a good compression fitting or is crimp the only way to go?

When you wire minicoax in your wall, do you run it out a cover plate with a 1/2" hole or do you use some sort of 5 port (or more) plate?

Thanks,

-John

John,

Here is the crimp tool I have used for mini coax:

http://www.hometech.com/tools/coax.html#EC-300007

Along with a selection of crimp connectors (which are the only ones I have found/used)

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/coaxconn.html#HL-BNC1855FP

As far as the plate goes, stick with the 1/2" plate. It cuts down on the number of connectors you will use (and thus $$). Perhaps the most important reason though is that the additional connectors introduce minor impedance changes which result in reflected signal. Plus each connection adds a small amount of signal loss.

For the price of mini coax and connectors I want the best signal possible, so keep it simple.

electriclight said:
As far as the plate goes, stick with the 1/2" plate. It cuts down on the number of connectors you will use (and thus $$). Perhaps the most important reason though is that the additional connectors introduce minor impedance changes which result in reflected signal. Plus each connection adds a small amount of signal loss.
I agree with what electriclight says, but I think the choice between terminating the coax to a modular wall plate, or bring out a pigtail is an aesthetics one instead of a quality one. If you terminate correctly, the extra wall connection should not make a noticeable difference in picture quality. Things like bent cables, bad terminations, etc are more factors in that imho.

So I agree, but you should not be afraid to terminate them in the wall and use an interconnect if you want :)

--Jamie

I believe it is a quality thing too. As Jamie pointed out "bad terminations" are a contributing factor (a significant one). If one goes with wall plate terminations (insert on both ends) there are 4 additional connections and 2 barrel connectors to contribute to the poor termination, loss and reflection problem.

Even with perfect terminations the small dielectric change in each of the pieces (patch cable/barrel connector/inwall cable/barrel connector/patch cable) reflection is inevitable (a Time Domain Reflectometer would show this clearly). I have always assumed this is why most of the projector installations I've seen were cabled direct equipment to equipment.

....just my 2 cents worth :)

It really depends on what you are putting through the cable. You never mentioned what you're using it for . . .

Baseband video (NTSC, PAL or SECAM) is very forgiving of connections. I've used dozens on location without any visible loss at the final monitor.

HD-SDI, on the other hand, is very sensitive. I would not only minimize connections, but I would also pray a lot.

I have never wired for satellite, but I would suspect it to be finicky as well.

Cable should not be too sensitive, but it will depend on your cable provider. Digital cable should show no loss, until the signal degrades below the threshold of usability.

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I will go with the '1/2" hole with cable sticking out' solution for now. I can always change it later by stuffing the extra wire into the wall and using a plate.

This cable will carry component video and audio. I plan to have an HD DIRECTV box or simular unit in a closet in the master bdrm. I am running the 5cond/minicoax from here to a TV in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. I will use a distribution box for this. I will have IR coming back to the closet from each TV location. The goal is to be able to get hidef pics on both TVs (even tho they will have the same show).
I am running 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5E from the main wiring room to the closet to provide sat signal and data to the tuner. I figure this gives me the most options for sources to these local displays. I could throw a PC in the closet and stream DVD off a dataserver to the screens as well.

So, now the obvious next question: How much wire should hang out of the wall box to allow for easy hookup. I am thinking 18-24". Good or more or less?

thanks,

-John

Back