[Blogs] Beelzeblog - PC (More "Trouble" than "Shooting")

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
Ok, this is what I've tried since the last freeze:

1) Rebooted to bios, checked the cpu temps. Perfectly fine. Also set a shutdown temp of 65C, so it should shutdown, not freeze, if its a cpu issue. CPU fan works just fine.
2) Ran the MS memory test I've got. Let it run for over an hour, no errors found.
3) Checked all the system logs. There were a few issues, something about a serial port type error, and also something about "it shut down abruptly", which Im guessing is the freeze (Im thinking it notices when the PC comes back up that it didn't get to save it's normal data out or something like that). I cleared all the logs so if it freezes again I'll know it's all stuff that's happened since then.
4) Changed out the power supply.

And the result?? It lasted about 24 hours. This problem seems to be happening a lot more frequently, which again points to the idea of a hardware problem. I wonder if the caps got bad enough to damage something else....

So now what I decided to do was take a spare hard drive (man, these things are handy... I'm so glad I never throw anything away), unplug all the hard drives currently in the system (3 IDE, 1 SATA), plug in the spare HD and install a clean Windows XP on it. That way if the system freezes up in this barebones XP install, I'll know that it wasn't the WHS software or hard drives...it's got to be either the motherboard or video card...or basically just the hardware. Now, that's *bad*...I'd rather it be the software, of course. But at this point, I just want to know what the issue is.

Dan suggested running Prime95 on the system. It's a gruelling benchmark suite that is the equivalent of "Let me run my car 100 mph over bumpy roads to see if any bolts are loose". Basically, if it can be worked, the benchmark will work it, and in the process perhaps cause the freeze (which again would point to a hardware problem). So, that's what I'll do tonight.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back