bosch blue line motion sensor

v1rtu0s1ty

Please let me know if folks if what am doing is totally incorrect and unacceptable way of conducting test

I placed the bosch motion sensor on top of the table vertically similar to how she would look like when mounted in corner. I wave my hand about 1 ft in front of it and blue LED turns on. I walked about 20 ft away from it and walked thru the path and not towards the sensor, I didn't get the blue LED to turn on. I went closer and closer until 14 ft, it turned on.

Is this normal?

I think the problem is that the sensors are designed to be mounted high toward the ceiling. placing it on a table (only 3-4 feet) above the floor will most likely shorten the sensor distance. I believe the view is down at an angle, not straight across.

The Pod

Neil:

If you want a more accurate test try mounting the PIR to a 2"X4"X8' and lean it against the wall. Now try carrying your VCR out of the room and see if the detector finds you. Now try carrying your TV. Now try pushing your piano out of the room. :) I'm being facetious but The Pod is right once you have it at the right height you wil probably be fine.

The Pod said:
I think the problem is that the sensors are designed to be mounted high toward the ceiling. placing it on a table (only 3-4 feet) above the floor will most likely shorten the sensor distance. I believe the view is down at an angle, not straight across.

The Pod
Ah, that's why. :)

And also, do I need to remove the plastic inside the motion sensor for the lookdown? I don't have any pets.

rfdesq said:
Neil:

If you want a more accurate test try mounting the PIR to a 2"X4"X8' and lean it against the wall. Now try carrying your VCR out of the room and see if the detector finds you. Now try carrying your TV. Now try pushing your piano out of the room. :) I'm being facetious but The Pod is right once you have it at the right height you wil probably be fine.
Hahaha! :D

rfdesq said:
Now try carrying your VCR out of the room and see if the detector finds you. Now try carrying your TV. Now try pushing your piano out of the room.
Now that's funny. But he may have better luck going to the county jail and recruiting inmates of different sizes. The short one may not trigger it whereas Bubba might.

Based on my experience, I would probably keep them in the 7-8 foot range. Going to 9 feet (their max rating) or above seems to affect it as well (unless if you already enabled the look down zone).

I think alot also depends on the intended use. If the PIR's are there mostly for security, then yes, a walk test while carrying stuff is a good test, but what about people who want it more for automation - like detecting if someone is sleeping or moving in a room. In that case you would want it sensitive enough so you can sit still and wave your hands or something and still trip it.

Keep in mind the Blue lines while still good, are a basic, inexpensive detector. There are many others like the Bravo 6 that have dual elements, or others that are both infrared and microwave. I think as much as it may not be the best aesthetically, probably a combination of detectors for different rooms, depending on the intended function and specific room characteristcs may work best.

Just spoke to Jim of AO, he told me to remove the plastic so it can go at longer distances.

Steve, that's a cool idea. I never thought of automation. I'm glad that I bought an ELK system. :) Thank you very much folks!

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Just spoke to Jim of AO, he told me to remove the plastic so it can go at longer distances.
Just be careful! If you remove that plastic strip you enable the look down zone. This is also called the 'pet alley' on some models. It effectively creates a zone near floor level where there is no sensing. This is what makes them pet friendly. If you remove the plastic, you can not put it back and the detector will never be usable as a pet friendly unit again.

I also don't think you will see much of a 'range' increase, but probably more 'sensitivity', especially at lower levels like near the floor. The only way to get more 'distance' is by moving the detector higher, but there is a breakeven point there to be aware of.

My main point here was not to disagree with Jim, Lords knows he knows more than me! but mainly to make sure you understand once you pull the strip the detector is no longer pet friendly with no way to go back - so that should be your LAST course of action, unless of course you don't care about pets, then yank that sucka now :)

How can the motion sensor tell if pets hop on the counters or climb or the top of cupboards and not be tripped?..I have two large cats that like to climb :)

Ripper99 said:
How can the motion sensor tell if pets hop on the counters or climb or the top of cupboards and not be tripped?..I have two large cats that like to climb :)
A 100lb pet resistant motion will still see a 60lb child. Dogs and cats have almost no heat signature on its legs and the body mass is horizontal. This infomation is embedded in a chip onboad which is used to discriminate between the two. Keep anythng an animal can climb on at least 6' away and stairs in the field of view are a no no. Hallways and doorways are best suited due to the lack of furnitue near the detector.

You guys are correct. I placed the motion sensor about 7'8" in height and now it's very sensitive. :) I'm happy with this motion sensor.

By the way, I just want to learn the rules. I would like a rule whenever the motion sensor senses some movement, say someone is walking. :D Just for my learning, hehehe. How do I do that?

gizzmo said:
Ripper99 said:
A 100lb pet resistant motion will still see a 60lb child. Dogs and cats have almost no heat signature on its legs and the body mass is horizontal. This infomation is embedded in a chip onboad which is used to discriminate between the two. Keep anythng an animal can climb on at least 6' away and stairs in the field of view are a no no. Hallways and doorways are best suited due to the lack of furnitue near the detector.
great info, I always wondered how they made these pet proof.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
By the way, I just want to learn the rules. I would like a rule whenever the motion sensor senses some movement, say someone is walking. :) Just for my learning, hehehe. How do I do that?
Simple...

WHENEVER MotionZone BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN SPEAK whatever

where MotionZone is the zone the PIR is connected to and whatever is some zone description or phrase. You can put anything after the THEN, not just voice. The rule is built for you automatically.

Look at the training dvd I referenced in the other thread. It goes over all of this.

electron said:
gizzmo said:
Ripper99 said:
great info, I always wondered how they made these pet proof.
That is good info, but I also thought pet friendly detectors also create a low zone near the floor where there is no 'signal'. If there is no 'signal' down there then there is nothing to trip it.

Back