Branded NVR vs. Home Built Unit

drvnbysound said:
Hot spots ignore the size and contrast filters and will alert on ANY motion within the hotspot area - I don't think this is what you want.

Thanks. I know hot spots trigger on all motion and probably should have been clearer in my comment about my situation and possibly using hot spots.  

I've been using a line crossing feature in Sighthound so that when someone starts down the sidewalk from the street to our front porch, I get notices and trigger CQC events.  I have not been able to effectively use BI's motion detection settings because of foliage on both sides of that sidewalk that moves in the wind and overhanging trees that also move (and their shadows depending on sunlight angle).  

What I realized when I went back to check the BI settings based on your original suggestions was that I could use the hot spot setting on the actual (covered) front porch area which is generally protected from foliage and shadows and get a reliable trigger.  Unfortunately, it triggers later than my line cross setting in SH, so I'm trying to see if it works for what I need.  

Back