Cable brands

rsw686

I'm bulk ordering a bunch of cable for my new house and am debating which brand to go with. I usually order Honeywell Genesis cable for security and pickup whatever is at Home Depot for network. However I saw Worthington offers Wavenet cable. Has anybody used this cable before? It would be a one stop shop and I was looking the following

Combination 2 Cat5e / 2 RG6Q coax CM (drops in each room)
Combination cat5e and 16/4 audio CM (russound keypads)
16/2 audio CMR (ceiling speakers)
Cat5e CMR (security keypads future use, additional drops)
22/4 solid security CMR (security keypads, motions, smoke detectors)
22/2 solid security CMR (contacts)

For my detached garage I was going to run shielded direct burial Cat6 (security expansion enclousre, network drops, audio baluns) in an empty exisiting conduit. Unless someone thinks I could get away with just shielded not direct burial wire. Worthington only shows Wavenet having shielded CMR cable or unshielded direct burial CMX.

Direct burial is water resistant. Anything underground will eventually be filled with water despite water tight joints. It will eventually seep into your cable's jackets and short everything out.

I've used quite a bit of the Wavenet cable and have had no issues.

I have some of their direct burial Cat5E, and will be pulling it to my detached workshop, along with some of the Honeywell Genesis 18/2.

LarrylLix said:
Direct burial is water resistant. Anything underground will eventually be filled with water despite water tight joints. It will eventually seep into your cable's jackets and short everything out.
There is a difference between direct burial cable, outside plant, unlisted and wet location cable. There is also a difference between a gel filled cable and water resistant cable. It's like asking for coax and not specifying RG6QS vs. RG58U. You need to pay attention to the application and blanket statements like above will get you into trouble. And contrary to popular belief, what is stated above won't happen. The bigger problem is what happens to the cable jacket during installation and if it's waterproof. Up until a few years back, LV and UG conduit did not require wet location cable, so what has changed and how come all these old projects didn't fail?

Southwire/Tappan or WCW is a good one if you don't spend for Belden or similar interchange cables.

Back