Cant connect to M1xep, not responding

Mike P

Hi,

I am having a problem accessing my M1, I cant see it on my network, if I do an xep search none found comes back. I tried to reset the board but I still can't search and find it. Think the board is fried? Has anybody had this happen to them and was able to regain communication? If so how did you go about it? I just wanted to ask everybody before I order a new one.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mike

Happened to me a while ago. Called elk and they fixed it and upgraded the firmware too. Bad side was it took a while between all the shipping ~2.5 weeks...

Assuming you know the IP address of the EXP, I would connect a crossover cable to it directly with an IP of the same subnet on a laptop of computer to make sure. This will eliminate cables, etc...

I lost mine after a pretty bad thunderstorm.  I think there's a way to reset it to factory settings - something with the jumpers?  I was pretty sure it wouldn't work since the MAC address after reset was something like BA:DB:A:DB:AD, lol, thought that was a hint.  The MAC Address didn't match the sticker either - but it works.  So who knows.

Anyway - I think you unplug, reset a jumper, plug it in and put the jumper back.  Then it goes to some weird default address, so a direct connection to a laptop would be best.  I think I found these directions by downloading the manual from the Elk portal.  Good luck,

If it was working fine then stopped, I suspect fried; if you've never gotten it working, then I'd assume it's just the PITA that the XEP is.  I know networking about as well as anyone can - and it took me a lot of trial/error to get that stupid thing to work - including flipping between static/dhcp, crossover cables, network scanning, etc - it finally clicked into place once and let me go in and set everything up; the FIND XEP didn't work at all - ever.  Definitely a product due for an upgrade.

Try this:

- Power off the XEP
- disconnect the LAN cable
- place a link on the 2 pins on the PCB. Power up the XEP while watching the RJ45 LEDs. You should see one of the LEDS flash a number of times.
- When you see the LED start to double flash, remove the jumper but keep the module powered up
- wait for at least 1 minute for the XEP to fully reboot.

What you have done is reset the DHCP/Fixed IP address. The default should now be 192.168.0.251. Connect to the XEP via a crossover cable or through a lan switch that does not have a DHCP device. Be sure to set your PC address manually to 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is any unused IP address).

If you cannot find the XEP then you may be screwed at that point.

The XEP is typically quite robust and has very few issues. Typically when people cannot connect to it it's because they power it up and then start hammering the scan option or try and connect too soon. The XEP does seem to not like to be pestered while it is booting so leaving it for 1 minute after power up seems to be the trick.

I've been looking for information on how to reset the XEP, happy to see this description. To be sure I do not make a mess, can someone be more specific about jumping (which) two pins on the PCB? I managed to set an incorrect IP address and now cannot access the XEP, need to bring back factory defaults.

Thanks in advance.

I have accessed and controlled the system from within my local LAN, dream is to do that remotely. I'm quite adept with computers and programming, networking is NOT my strong suit!

Doug

Back