Can't enroll M1XEP

Trying to enroll my xep and having no luck. I've got it set to DCHP, got a blinking green light (about every 3 sec). when I try to enroll it at my keypad, I get a KP Addr1 lost comm. Any ideas where to start? I'm not a computer genius but I can usually figure this stuff out.

You do not have to enroll bus devices to see the M1XEP... Just hook it up. If you would like to verify that you M1 is actually seeing it, you can enroll devices from RP and you will see the XEP on the list. Now that I think about it, you don't even have to enroll and you should still be able to see it on the list.

Enroll the M1XEP into the Control. Using the keypad, access the Installation Programming menu (Menu 9).Choose Bus Module Enrollment (Menu 1) and press the right arrow key to start the enrollment. When the enroll-ment is complete press the ELK or * (Asterisk) key to exit.

M1XEP does not connect to the RS-485 data bus on the control, therefore it will not appear
in the list of devices enrolled on the keypad. However, the enrollment process is necessary toensure proper supervision of the device. If the M1XEP is removed, it must be "un-enrolled" bycompleting the Bus Module Enrollment process to prevent an "Ethernet Trouble" from occurring.ElkRP versions 1.6.2 and later will display the current firmware, hardware, and bootware versionsof the M1XEP on the " Show KPs and Expanders" screen. This screen is accessed from the Send/Rcv menu when connected to the control.
That's out of the XEP manual.

If you're getting the LostComm you have some sort of error with the databus most likely; It won't have anything to do with whether you have a valid IP address or not (that's a separate issue). These things can be a pain to get on the network the first time but enrollment should be pretty simple. Also just check for secure connections on the serial cables.

As stated above, the M1XEP Ethernet module is not enrolled through the keypad. It connects to the RS-232 15 pin port on the M1 and then to a Ethernet router or switch. Through ELKRP you can find the M1XEP in the M1XEP setup section. If all else fails use an Ethernet crossover cable and connect the M1XEP directly to the PC to set it up. Make sure the IP subnet settings in your computer allow it to talk to the subnet settings in the M1XEP. The instruction manual should cover this.

Lost Comm on the keypad is a RS485 data bus issue. Make sure data A connects to data A and data B connects to data B on all devices. Crossing over will cause a problem. Make sure the wiring is "Serial" wired not "Star" wired as the instruction manual shows. Verify termination resistors at each end of the data bus run by:
1. Power down the M1.
2.Measure the resistance across data A and data B. It should read 65 ohms +-10 ohms.
3.Verify 12VDC at each device on the data bus.

I'm confused, the directions say above to enroll the XEP through the keypad yet everyone says it's not.
I can't find the XEP through ELKRP. I do the search and nothing is found.
The lost comm issue started when I started working on the XEP.

The XEP is enrolled via the keypad, as stated.

Are you getting the lost comm when you run a bus enrollment?

Have you tried a direct connection to the XEP using a crossover or via a network switch? Have you received the panel since the enrollment? How are you connecting to the panel for RP?

How is the XEP connected to the panel and you connected to it via RP? Internal telephone connection? Do you have the DB9 ribbon cable attached to the XEP and the panel?

Have you done any troubleshooting on your internal IP network?

The next step is going to be as you already posted, connection direct with a crossover.

As DEL said, if you're going to try the Direct Connection method, make sure you use a Crossover cable... and keep in mind, the direct connection can be more difficult depending on your knowledge of IP networking because you have to know how to give your computer a compatible manual IP address, and you have to follow the instructions in the XEP's manual for making sure it's using the default IP address, not DHCP.

It's been a little while since I've gotten one online - but here's what I remember:
  1. It took forever of trying both manual and DHCP address settings on the XEP to finally get it to show up.
  2. The Find feature NEVER worked for me - and still doesn't... even though I have a fully functioning XEP with a static IP - and I've had several different routers and switches in place over the years.
  3. When it finally came online, it wasn't right while I was working on it - it was after setting everything exactly as its supposed to be for DHCP - getting frustrated that it still wasn't working, and walking away for a few hours - when I came back, it was online ready to go and has worked since.
  4. The settings I send from ElkRP don't always stick - sometimes it acts like it did everything you told it, but you look again and nothing saved.
I use Advanced IP Scanner (Free from RAdmin.com) to help scan the network to find devices - it's easier than some routers to look things up.

Back at it after a little break. tried the let it sit and correct itself but that didnt work. I installed advanced IP scaner but i dont see the M!XEP when i do a scan. I get the green blinking light on the M1 but no indication on my router. I have two ports on the router that are connected and they show a connection light. Ive tried swapping ports on the router but still nothing.

Have you direct connected via a crossover cable and the default IP address the unit comes configured with, using a known good cable?

You should be able to connect to it locally first, then worry about getting it on your network/router. Baby steps first.

I had similar issues last week when setting up my XEP, spent a few hours stuffing around with it.
I discovered there is a jumper on there you can short to force the unit to toggle its mode between static/dhcp assignment.
I dont know why but mine was forced to static 192.168.0.251, I used the procedure outlined in the m1xep manual, restart, and it took an address from the DHCP and all good.

Could it be a subnet issue? If the XEP is on a different subnet, I don't think the find will work. I know my IP was static set to 192.168.1.12 and I could never change it, so I left it alone. But luckily my subnet was the same.

ok, im a computer hack (not hacker) another dumb question. How do i check the subnet?
Ive got a good crossover cable, checked with continuity meter. whats the process after the xover cable is attached?

Back