Carrier Infinity

scyto said:

skidmark /  intrepd - did you identify a reliable RS485 to USB adapter for the pi - mine was working find but is now flaky as crap with infinitude... (seems ok with brybus mind you).  But i will replace it if you have identified rock solid one?
--edit---

another thought - what speed do you set the adapter to under linux / whats you preferred way of doing that?
On eBay -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS485-CH340G-Serial-ports-Converter-Adapter-foe-winxp-win7-win8-linux-MAC-/271528213609?hash=item3f3857bc69:g:GgIAAOSw-nZTpTM3
USB to RS485 CH340G Serial ports Converter Adapter. If the link expires just search for CH340G.
Works real good on my Raspberry. No extra driver needed.

Also I succumbed and bought second-hand SAM on ebay - should arrive in a week or so.

There is another going on ebay at this moment if anyone is interested here

--edit--
correct link this time!

Hey scyto,

I purchased a SAM late last year and only just got round to installing it. I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing with yours. I have mine plugged into my home network via an ELK-IP232 Serial to Ethernet Converter and so far can Telnet into it and issue commands, but that's about it :p Would be really nice if I had a GUI (in MobiLinc, for example) to use to, at the very least, view the temperature and set the heating/cooling points.

Is there some clever way we could get the ISY to see the thermostats? Maybe a virtual ("fake") Z-wave device, for example, that can be added to ISY but that simply relays commands to/from the SAM? Or is that too far fetched?

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Funny the seller on ebay just decommissioned the one i bought from a system that had an ELK.
I assume you have the ASCII protocol doc for the SAM - if not google it.

I did quick google and found this fromm 2008 - guess you might want to mail ELK?
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/11372-carrier-infinity/page-21#entry242334 

It appears that ELK Products can connect the M1 control to the SAM module. Here is an email directly from the ELK engineer.

The features supported are:
Current temperature, the thermostat reports the current temperature to the M1G. The current temperature can be used to trigger your M1G Rules and displayed on the keypads.
Heat Set point, the M1G can be used to change the heat setting of the thermostat. The M1G will receive the heat set point if a change occurs.
Cool Set point, the M1G can be used to change the cool setting of the thermostat. The M1G will receive the cool set point if a change occurs.
Mode, the M1G can be used to change the HVAC system’s mode (auto, heat, cool, off). The M1G will receive the mode state if a change occurs.
Fan, the M1G can turn the HVAC system’s fan on or off. The M1G will receive the fan state if a change occurs.
All features can be displayed and controlled over the internet if you also have an ELK-M1XEP Ethernet Module.

We support other communicating thermostat manufacturers with the same features, such as: Aprilaire, HAI, RCS, and various ZWave models.
If you have further questions please let me know.

Oh and this http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=134603 might help (i was actually reading this yesterday beofre i saw your post - freaky, i have a  DSC alarm i commissioned myself, wish i had spent extra for ELK.

Alex

PS i see you 'man projects' are like mine - get started easily and take forever to finish them :)  FYI i use a universal devices ISY for all my home automation, i know that has ELK module FWIW - not sure how that would factor into all of this, or even if it should!

I cannot seem to get this working on my pogo. I have it up and running. I can see the web interface, but the gauges are empty. It is acting like the thermostat is not calling the proxy.

I have inputted the correct ip address and port in the proxy settings of the thermostat. I verified I can ping the thermostat.

I followed the directions on the wiki. The only difference is there is a note that says to put add a line

use lib "usr/share/perl/5.14.2";

in the infinitude file. It mentions if you have a different version, use your version. I don't have any perl in usr/share. My version of perl is 5.22.1

I'm not sure if that is what i causing the error.

I do see things like 

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./infinitude line 206.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /home/alarm/infinitude/lib/Cache/FileDump.pm line 34.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./infinitude line 207.

I am starting to see things like "****** THere are changes. ***** and some posts to /systems/XXXXX/status, but right before that, I get the concatenation errors and also see a lote of "Template xxxx" not found.

I'm not sure if the thermostat is calling it or not. I don't see any /alive call in the console.

I'm not sure why someone added the `use usr/share/perl` instruction to the wiki. Perhaps that's a needed workaround for Debian on the Pi, but isn't be required if you're running Arch on the Pogoplug at least.

"Use of uninitialized value in concatenation" messages are only warnings not errors, as are the template not found messages. Many of them only show up when running in debug mode and disappear when running in production mode.

If you're seeing posts to /systems/YOURID/status, then your thermostat is at least talking to Infinitude. You should start to see data accumulating in the /state subdirectory, but it can take a while to capture all events. I recommend leaving it running overnight, then checking the contents of the state directory. Does your thermostat show "Connected" on the main screen?

*feel free to post anything you feel is a bug to the issue list on github.

Thanks for the clearing that up.

In my state folder, I have README.md, changes, infinitude.json, started, sytems.json, and systems.xml

started has a number in it, sytems.json and sytems.xml are both empty

Does your thermostat show "Connected" on the main screen? - I'll have to check for that when I get home. I just got to work.

I had very strange issues like this until i made the thermostat connect to the included wifi access point.
I have no idea why it works fine with that but does really odd things with my asus wifi access point....

scyto said:
I had very strange issues like this until i made the thermostat connect to the included wifi access point.
I have no idea why it works fine with that but does really odd things with my asus wifi access point....
Ugh. I too am using an Asus wifi access point. I guess I'll dig out the old one and give it a try. I verified myinfinitytouch.carrier.com was getting status updates until I pointed my thermostat at my pogo (the last was yesterday at 6pm my time). If that solves the issue, I would be very curious why.

Edit: I plugged in the original wifi access point. I didn't use the wan port, just used one of the lan ports so it isn't double natting. It shows connected and it has an ip address (the thermostat), handed out by my real router.

Nothing.

I see a lot of "Routing to a callback" and posts to "/systems/XXXXX/status" and "There are changes", but still nothing in the web UI. The 2 systems files in the state directory are empty.

Edit 2: Fixed it.

I downloaded and installed the new firmware for the thermostat.

Old: 131493-07
New: 131493-12

Glad you fixed it.  Mine always had the latest firmware.

Would be interested if you got the thermostat working with a RT-AC68/66
I feel silly having two wifi hotspots but it was the only thing that got min working...

Yeah, I changed it back to my RT-AC68U (which has the latest Merlin firmware) and it is still working. I don't know if makes a difference, by my Asus is in bridge mode, it isn't acting as a router. I have a pfSense firewall setup.

One thing I notice is that I don't see values for Outside/Coil/Airflow/Blower Speed. I don't have the serial connection up yet. Is that needed for those 4 gauges? The air handler is up in the attack. Do you think the POGO will last long up in the attic in Texas?

Edit: Anyone try a wifi USB dongle on a POGO?

Edit 2: I see some 404 in the client requesting notifications.json and energy.json. Not really sure what on the page is requesting those.

Dunno on the wifi, may put it back and see if it breaks (I also use Merlin - back when I solved the iss was 9months ago so perhaps issue is solved now) note i also had funkiness direct to carrier web app too.

I don't have those 4 gauges - in my case this is because the AC unit outside is non-communicating (I.e instead of using the abcd wires they just ran traditional one or two stage wiring from furnace control. It's annoying as I know mine can support it if...

So no you don't need the serial connection for anything other than the serial tab. My SAM arrived today, might fit it over weekend :)

That's annoying. I paid enough for the thing, they should have hooked it up right. It is a dual speed outside unit. They had to run new copper to the outside of the unit. Seems lazy of them not to drop new wire at the same time then.

rhodges said:
That's annoying. I paid enough for the thing, they should have hooked it up right. It is a dual speed outside unit. They had to run new copper to the outside of the unit. Seems lazy of them not to drop new wire at the same time then.
The unit has to have communicating board and OAT - I think it is an extra (I never opend my AC to see if the board is there and not wired or if the board is not there at all).

Back