Cellular Backup

I ran a single cat5 from my M1 to the phone demarc. At my M1 I used the green and the orange (instead of red)to make my connections as per the install manual (page 7). I was left with 6 wires not being used for anything, I took the blue/blue&white set of wires connected the solid blue to zone 15 on the + side. At the demarc I crimped the blue/blue&white together. Back at the panel I wired the blue&white th the corresponding -connection to zone 15.
Through the RP program I defined zone 15 as always closed. If someone were to try and cut the phone cable or yank the plastic conduit from the house the connection would become open, at which point the alarm will go into alarm status. In theory in my non-technical mind I thought that it would work, but I may be wrong.

I just came across this post while searching for info on Uplink Transmitters.

I use my cell phone for all phone conversations. Getting a Basic phone line for alarm monitoring will probably cost $20/month for the telco service and it suffers from a burglar being able to clip it. I would go the route of internet monitoring via NextAlarm ABN adapter - but alot of posts indicate that is not reliable. So that all brings me to cellular monitoring.

NextAlarm has the additional cellular package for $7.50/month. I found a deal for the Digicell 1650 for roughly $120. I would still need to buy the serial expander for the M1 (another $70).

Does having the Digicell 1650 allow the alarm to also call my cell phone (any other numbers)? or can it ONLY call NextAlarm?

What is the down side to only having the 1650? Does it support transmitting all the alarm info? Should I consider another option?

Anyone have anymore feedback on using an Uplink transmitter?

I recently visited the Numerx Uplink offices in Atlanta, GA. Very professional and impressive operation. They have triple backup servers with offsite locations.

The Uplink back end server receives cellular messages using GSM or CDMA cellular networks to their Atlanta office and forwards the alarm message to any central station as directed by the alarm installer.

There are two ways to connect the M1 to the UPLINK Cellular Transceiver. Using alarm outputs for simple alarm messages or via the M1XSP serial port expander. With the serial port expander, the alarm identifier and the alarm zone identification will be sent to the central station.

If you are going to buy an Uplink Transceiver, buy the new digital version. The older analog version will not be supported by the cellular companies in a few years.

The only issue with using a M1XSP to connect with the M1 is they want $50 for the serial cable. :lol:

Anyone know where I can get a 6 pin Mux connector??

IncrdblHulk9 said:
NextAlarm has the additional cellular package for $7.50/month. I found a deal for the Digicell 1650 for roughly $120.
Where did you find that deal? You have to tell us.

The analog spectrum is now scheduled to be shut down Feb 18, 2008. That sounds far away, but it is really only 16 months from now!

hgupta1 said:
The analog spectrum is now scheduled to be shut down Feb 18, 2008. That sounds far away, but it is really only 16 months from now!
Check with Uplink, they recently had an analog to digital trade in program.

Protected by PVC? Hello.. its plastic and with a screwdriver you can unplug the little test jack without a cutter of any kind. If you want redundant communication then get it. If the cost is to much here is a second choice. Add a phone interface on the inside of the house. Bring the incoming line directly to the new interface, underground service is the best for this. Leave the old interface relatively intact and also run an alarm circuit into the old interface. This makes the old original interface a decoy and you get a line cut signal via the tamper circuit you ran to it.

I saw the Uplink 1650 for around $120 on Ebay. I didnt end up purchasing it - because I am still in the initial setup of my alarm. (Not sure if I am going to use cellular backup).

I emailed the guy and asked him why so cheap and he said he had a few in stock and that he was just a reseller - his local vendor was setting the price.

Let me know if any of you buy one from him. I hope he does not run out after I post this!

rfdesq said:
Just spoke with Uplink. There is a new unit to be released this summer. It is a digital 1650. It is basically a digital version of their analog 1650 and reports full CID information to the central station rather than a few generic codes.
Uplink is now not coming out with a digital 1650. They are recommending their AnyNet cellular.

Spanky said:
Uplink and Telular provide wireless central station connection.
Spanky, any thoughts on these two systems. I just spoke with Telular and it sounds like it is a simple RJ11 connection right out of the M1 and into the cellular backup. The CS doesn't know the difference whether the contact ID came from the telephone line or the cellular backup because the cellular backup dials the CS 800 number.

Anyone using Telular with the M1 and NextAlarm?

Here's the latest from NextAlarm:

Hello,

We do not support Tellular at this time. We do support Uplink and Alarmnet-C, however, which are similar. There is an additional charge of $7.50 per month for these services.

Regards,
Customer Service

rfdesq said:
The reason for my original post was in response to yesterday's Discovery Channel "It Takes A Thief" episode.
FYI, the new season has started. The bad guys have already burglarized a home, police station, and a skateboard shop.

rfdesq said:
rfdesq said:
Just spoke with Uplink.  There is a new unit to be released this summer.  It is a digital 1650.  It is basically a digital version of their analog 1650 and reports full CID information to the central station rather than a few generic codes.
Uplink is now not coming out with a digital 1650. They are recommending their AnyNet cellular.
Pay attention !!!!!!!!!

You will love the ANYNET

Back