Cellular Backup

I am considering the move to cellular backup as well. I don't have any knowledge to share, but you can all post info to a spreadsheet I have here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pc8...BWRKQ&hl=en

This is my first test of sharing with google docs, so I am interested to see how easy it is...
If you need a gmail account to use this I will be happy to send you an invite.

The spreadsheet was blank when I opened it.

i'd be happy to compile the facts into a matrix as long as someone else could supply them :(
Here is a good link for the Telular products http://www.telular.com/telguard/products.asp and https://www.telular.com/telguard/dealer.asp. You should be able to determine the answers to a lot of questions by referring to the sell sheet and the quick install sheets. To be fair to all companies we should probably use MSRP or end user for all prices. For Telular products and NextAlarm there is no additional monthly charge from NextAlarm. Using Telular and ELK there are no additional ELK modules to purchase.

FWIW, a comparison of the IGs for the TG1 and TG4 show these differences:

The TG4 has a connection to your RJ31X and will monitor for line fault, the TG1 does not connect to the land line at all and therefore has no fault monitoring.

The TG4 has two relays that can be connected back to your alarm panel zones to allow the panel to monitor the TG's operation and status, things like AC Fail, low battery, no service, radio failure and on a TG4, line fault. The TG1 has only a single relay. For both, one can program the TG as to which status indicators will be OR'd together to report.

The TG4 can interpret various alarm panel reporting code formats and can auto detect the format. The TG1 handles Contact ID format only.

The TG4 can be setup so communication is via the land when it's available and cellular as backup or vice versa. The TG1, with no land line connection, is only for primary connections.

In either case, the interface from the alarm panel to the TG1/4 is via the phone cord. The TG appears as a phone line to the panel.

There appears to be various price plans (hopefully someone with access to that info can provide some relative difference in the costs or MSRP) and they are dependant on the amount of traffic. So if you have your panel reporting various open/close events or arm/disarm events, that will drive up the monthly charges.

Hope this helps out... On to read up on the TG7 and anynet now.

Nice read so far. The TG7 also uses a phone type connection to the panel. The TG9 is a strange bird.

jeez, i looked at the Telular install guides and sell sheets... hell if i can tell what the difference is. perhaps i'm not qualified enough to put together this matrix when i can't even understand what i'm reading.

i see a small discrepancy between the elk documentation and the uplink anynet documentation. the elk documentation (in the install guide for the M1XSP) says "Power the Uplink Radio from one of the Aux. 12V power terminals on the M1, or from an auxiliary 12VDC power supply", but according the the M1 install guide, the SAUX is 12VDC 1.1 A, and the VAUX is 12VDC 1.25 A.

On the other hand, the installation guide for the Anynet (http://www.uplink.com/_files/install_AnyNET_030106.pdf) says the power supply "must be capable of delivering at least 2A", which it appears neither the SAUX or VAUX on the M1 is capable of.

Am I missing something (obviously, I'm not an electrician)?

this may sound dumb, but again, i'm no electrician or engineer... the elk panel has 3 terminals available for VAUX. I'm assuming each of these is +12VDC 1.25 A as listed on the panel. does that mean if I connect two of these terminals to the power terminal on the uplink, I will get the requisite 2 A?

a second power supply is what i've been trying to avoid because i definitely want it to be battery backed, which connecting it to the Elk would solve. I'd hate to plug it into the wall and have it not work when the power goes out, because that doesn't solve anything.

If you look at Note 1 of the M1 installation manual in a UL installation, you should only count on 1 amp from VAUX, SVAUX, VKP, and J16. That is 1 amp total from all of the outputs combined. Look at the ELK auxiliary power supplies they have battery backup capabilities.

helpful, as always, rfdesq

but if that's the case, it looks like the Elk-P412 is the only Elk power supply capable of supplying the 2A necessary (as all the other ones are rated at 1A for 12VDC). that's another $200 (with battery, from AO) in addition to the AnyNet ($200 from SpyTown) and the M1-XSP required to connect the AnyNet to the Elk.

does a telular tg-4 have similar power requirements, because if it does, then it is a wash with the anynet in that regard, and the only difference is still the M1-XSP cost.

Back