Cellular Backup

How much was the Telular unit, and where did you get it? Their website was the least informative of all the options.

Do you have nextalarm activate it justl like the uplink?

I buy wholesale through my distributors so my price is probably lower than most here can purchase it. If you need a precise number PM me but for the TG-7, it was in the $300 to $400 range. Their website might be lacking but their tech and sales support is excellent. I was set up as a dealer in about 15 minutes.

There is no activation with NextAlarm. In fact, NextAlarm will probably never know you have a Telular cellular backup. The backup monitors the incoming telephone line, if the incoming line goes dead then the cellular backup takes over. It dials your CS just like the M1 would do and sends a trouble signal letting you know that your telephone line is dead. If there is an alarm while your telephone line is down the Telular takes over and dials your CS telephone number, gives your account number, and sends contact ID information to the CS. It is completely transparent to the CS since it calls the same 800 number and transmits the same contact ID information that the M1 would do. And, it uses the GSM cellular network. Did I explain this clearly enough?

okay, it's been nearly a year since the last post on this subject, so i'd like to get some people's opinions.

rfdesq, you've been very helpful to me in the past. are you completely satisfied with the Telular backup?

and anyone else that has been using the Uplink or Anynet with their Elk, I'd appreciate stories on that as well...

obviously, I'm seriously looking into this and would like to do it within the next couple of weeks.

thanks!
Adam

Adam:

Thanks for the kind words. I am so satisfied with Telular that I almost forget it's there. But, every week it tests itself and NextAlarm sends me the notification. It is a seamless, flawless, addition to the ELK/NextAlarm family. Need any more glowing words?

yes, based on your recommendations, i will likely be going with telular as well (pay up front, avoid the extra monthly charges). however, i'd probably get the TG-1 for just my residence. could i bother you to check how much you could get it for through your distributors (PM is fine)?

also, how does the power supply work? is it plugged into the wall, or does it have a battery backup, or both? it wouldn't be much use to me unless it was able to transmit while the power was out (which is kind of the whole purpose for me).

thanks again for everything

i have been looking at both telular and uplink the past couple of days, and both seem extremely solid.

i did just read the Elk serial expander installation manual where it has express instructions for setting up the uplink ANYNet adapter, and the good news here is that it can be powered from Elk's auxiliary 12V power supply, which means it would automatically have battery backup (from the elk battery) in the case of power loss. my question here would be, is the standard elk battery that came with the panel be enough to power this as well during power loss, or would it require an even bigger elk battery supply?

You need to look at total current draw to determine how long your battery backup will last. An auxiliary power supply with battery backup isn't a bad idea. Also, when determining costs you need to remember that Telular does not require an additional ELK serial expander.

I am so satisfied with Telular that I almost forget it's there. But, every week it tests itself and NextAlarm sends me the notification.

Can NextAlarm indicate if this was a Telular test or a landline/VOIP/ABN test? Or do you schedule the Telular test at a different time than the other test so you know what was tested based upon the time?

I am confused, I thought Telular was all upfront charges and no monthly charges, but the Activation Form refers to "Rate Plan Selection", but there are no prices, just selecting a test schedule. Are there monthly or annual fees with Telular?

The TG-4 is more expensive than the TG-1, but the TG-1 is cellular only (the Elk would never use your landline or VOIP), so it seems weird that the cheaper option uses more airtime? What am I missing?

When the Telular unit sends out its test signal it sends I believe a Contact ID 603, this comes back from NextAlarm as an Periodic RF Transmission test. You tell Telular what time you want the test sent each day, week, or month. Telular then programs your unit via cell service to send at that particular time.

There are monthly fees with Telular. They vary depending on whether you want daily, weekly, or monthly testing. And, how many signals you plan on sending per billing period. If you have a working land line the Telular backup only works when the phone line is down. But you can program it to be your primary reporting system.

I'm not sure I understand your third paragraph.

The TG-4 is more expensive than the TG-1, but the TG-1 is cellular only (the Elk would never use your landline or VOIP), so it seems weird that the cheaper option uses more airtime? What am I missing?
I'm not sure I understand your third paragraph.
I guess I misunderstood DeLicious's comment of "avoid the extra monthly charges" to mean "NO monthly charges", but I guess it meant "no extra NextAlarm monthly charges"?

What I was trying go figure out was why the TG-1 (which will have 100% of your notifications) could be cheaper than the TG-4 (which will have almost 0% of your notifications assuming your landline is working). But I bet the TG-1 monthly fee is higher than the TG-4 monthly fee since it implies more airtime? Do the monthly fees go to a dealer or straight to Telular?

I'm a bit confused here too and would like to see us come up with a set of answers to the same list of questions for each vendor and product in the vendor's line, e.g. T1 vs T4 vs T7

Product
Product monthly charges
Central Station additional monthly charges
Primary or secondary connection
Phone Line fault monitoring

Different folks will have different needs. Some will want to optimize for lowest ongoing cost, some for lowest initial cost, some for use as a primary/only mode of communication, some only for backup.

Hopefully we can compile this and provide some useful info for all.

I think getting the answers straight is a good idea. One of the problems is that the cellular backup is not targeted to the DIYer or the end user. The backup market is for the professional installer to upsell a system package and protect against the "what happens if the bad guy cuts my phone line". Telular fees go to a dealer then directly to Telular. The dealer can mark up the fees as needed. NextAlarm also has a reseller program.

I'm a bit confused here too and would like to see us come up with a set of answers to the same list of questions for each vendor and product in the vendor's line, e.g. T1 vs T4 vs T7

Product
Product monthly charges
Central Station additional monthly charges
Primary or secondary connection
Phone Line fault monitoring

Different folks will have different needs. Some will want to optimize for lowest ongoing cost, some for lowest initial cost, some for use as a primary/only mode of communication, some only for backup.

Hopefully we can compile this and provide some useful info for all.

This is exactly what I am trying to figure out, and I'm as confused as anyone. You should also add to that list additional required hardware, such as an extra M1-XSP. For me personally, I'm looking for long term solutions, so ongoing cost is a big thing, even if it costs more up front, plus I only need to use it as a backup system in case of a phone fault. Some sort of decision matrix with these answers would be ideal. Hopefully, we can get people with actual experience with each product to contribute.

If someone wants to be keeper and compiler of the facts, I can contribute my knowledge of the Telular products. Do remember my caveat regarding DIYers and professionals. A matrix of some kind would be nice because there are many variables.

Back