Chat with HomeZIX

HomeVista

After showing the ultimate flexibility of our HomeZIX’s C# scripting feature on serial devices and PocketPC programming, now we take it to a new level: Making HomeZIX work with Yahoo Messenger including SMS on your cellular phone! For the first time, it is so easy and convenient, at virtually no cost.

Here are the steps to make it work.

Register a new YM ID.
Program HomeZIX scripts, and run HomeZIX.
Download and run the FREE YahooZIX, a gateway connecting HomeZIX and Yahoo messenger.
Enjoy.
HomeZIX_with_YM.png

1. Register a new Yahoo Messenger ID.
This section assumes that you are familiar with Yahoo Messenger. Otherwise, check out the link here: http://messenger.yahoo.com

Besides the normal ID that you are using to communicate with your friends and family, you will need to create another ID for your home automation, just like another friend sitting at home, ready to serve you. We’d like to call it: A digital friend at home. After creating the new ID, you will have to add that to your normal ID. It is a good idea to try manually first to make sure you can chat with your digital friend back and forth.

Tips:

After creating one account, you should go to its preferences to configure it to:
Automatically sign in: so that if for whatever reason it gets kicked out, it will automatically log back in.
Allow users to view your webcam (if you intend to use this feature.)
Configure your computer so that it will NOT go into hibernate or standby mode after a period of inactivity.
To run multiple versions of Messenger on one machine (e.g: to test two IDs), create a DWORD registry value named “Plural” at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Yahoo\Pager\Test and set to something other than 0 (zero).
2. Program HomeZIX scripts
This section assumes that you are familiar with HomeZIX’s basic operation and C# language. Please check out www.automationvista.com for more details.

In our demonstration, we populate two devices: one X10 switch and one Zwave dimmer. We drop in an Advanced Script and then go to the C# code editor. Right click on the code window and open the source file. (Click here to download.)

Navigate to the “ProcessMessage” function:

YMcodeBlock.jpg

This is where HomeZIX processes your messages from Yahoo Messenger. It is totally up to you to design what HomeZIX should do when you command it with your syntax. The power is in your hands. In this demonstration we program it to do: if the remote user types: “hello”, it responds back with “Hello sir. What can I do for you?”. To turn on the X10 switch, remote user should type “Switch on”. To set the dimmer level, the user should type: “Set dimmer level 50%”, etc..

After programming the ProcessMessage function, click the “Compile” button to make sure that it compiles ok. Click OK all the way to go back to HomeZIX’s main window and switch to “Run” mode by selecting “Manage”->”Run” on the menu.

3. Download and run YahooZIX
This is our free program which acts as a gateway between HomeZIX and Yahoo Messenger. When you chat with your digital friend at home, YahooZIX grabs your messages, forwards to HomeZIX to execute, and sends back information (if necessary) to you. Please note again that we put power in your hands: What messages you send and how HomeZIX should react totally depend on how you program the script. There are two exceptions:

When you send a special text to your digital friend “I will be on SMS”, YahooZIX will send back a greeting message to you after 10 seconds. This is necessary because when you sign in to mobile (to use SMS), it is difficult to initiate conversation from the phone. By sending a greeting message to your phone, you now can easily reply to it. So don’t forget to type “I will be on SMS” before doing so.

When you send a special text to your digital friend “Show me the webcam”, YahooZIX will activate the webcam and invite you to view it. This is necessary because when the digital friend signs in automatically, webcam is not enabled by default.

4. Enjoy
Make sure you setup everything correctly:

Login your digital friend account
Program and run HomeZIX
Run YahooZIX (don’t forget to click the “Start & Minimize” button.)
Here is a screenshot of our conversation with our digital friend:

HZYMDemo.jpg

Oh, very cool demonstration. I wonder what deal was made with yahoo to upgrade this messenger program for home control purposes?

So does that mean if someone finds out your HA's YID, they could launch a ton of concurrent IM sessions against your machine and cripple your machine?

Oy, i shudder to think of what the teenage boys out there would do; hell, i'm glad i went through that phase 25 years ago, before there were any serious hacking laws...

So does that mean if someone finds out your HA's YID, they could launch a ton of concurrent IM sessions against your machine and cripple your machine?

Oy, i shudder to think of what the teenage boys out there would do; hell, i'm glad i went through that phase 25 years ago, before there were any serious hacking laws...

Well, I guess you haven't used Yahoo Messenger before. First of all, in order to chat with someone, you will have to be on his/her list which is subject to his/her permission. Besides, you don't want to give out your secret ID, right? Of course you will say that there are million ways to find out, but the point is that it is not easy for most people. I'm using a secret YM ID to control my automation devices right now. Can you find out and cripple my machine?
Anyway, once you have a way to connect to your system remotely, you are at risk of being attacked. There must be a trade off between convenience and security.

I would think that your name would have to be on the HA's buddy list in order to accept commands from it or that when initiating chat from an unknown user there would be a password to logon.

Well, I guess you haven't used Yahoo Messenger before. First of all, in order to chat with someone, you will have to be on his/her list which is subject to his/her permission. Besides, you don't want to give out your secret ID, right? Of course you will say that there are million ways to find out, but the point is that it is not easy for most people. I'm using a secret YM ID to control my automation devices right now. Can you find out and cripple my machine?
Anyway, once you have a way to connect to your system remotely, you are at risk of being attacked. There must be a trade off between convenience and security.

1) I love the attitude from a vendor, esp a newbie on this forum. Keep it up, you'll make tons of friends. I'll be one of them.
2) I use YIM all the time, I also get spam messengers all the time. And I mean *ALL* the time. From people I don't know, so they get on my block list instantly.
3) Security & Convenience are not mutually exclusive. Use a nonstandard port, with any hint of password, and you're covered.

I would think that your name would have to be on the HA's buddy list in order to accept commands from it or that when initiating chat from an unknown user there would be a password to logon.

That's not how my yahoo messenger works; it'll let any message flow through, only prompts if the sender wants to put me on his buddy list.

1) I love the attitude from a vendor, esp a newbie on this forum. Keep it up, you'll make tons of friends. I'll be one of them.
2) I use YIM all the time, I also get spam messengers all the time. And I mean *ALL* the time. From people I don't know, so they get on my block list instantly.
3) Security & Convenience are not mutually exclusive. Use a nonstandard port, with any hint of password, and you're covered.

1. Sorry about that. Sometimes our enthusiasm does go a bit too far. We are just so excited about our software with all the features it offers.
2. I guess you have a way to block unknown people instantly, so you don’t have to worry too much about.
3. I’m not sure if a simple port number change would protect you well. A simple scanner would probably unveil your port soon enough. Besides, you will have to deal with all the issues with firewalls and such.

np, fwiw, i just wrote a column about some HA stuff, used homezix as one of the two examples (one guess as to who the other one was :D ). I believe it'll be put in both zWaveWorld with inbound links from tomshardware within the next few days, you may want to look for that.

I didn't know about the chat stuff at the time, so that didn't make it in, regardless that's too detailed for the article, but i'm sure you'll be asked about it.

been doing this for about a year now w/ xap jabber from http://www.mi4.biz - since it's jabber based it can connect to any IM protocol via servers w/ appropriate transports. so you're not limited to yahoo. you can use google talk, google chat (built into gmail), yahoo, msn, aol, etc.

as for yahoo im, you can configure it so that you only receive messages from people on your contact list...

If I am not mistaken you are in control of the commands that can be performed in HomeZIX. So could you not have a scenario with some built in security.

YOU:hello
HomeZIX: Hi, please enter your passcode
You:*******
HomeZIX: What would you like to do today.

Back