CocoonTech 2.0 has arrived!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
logo.png
CocoonTech 2.0 has arrived!
If you have been a Cocooner for while, you might have seen references to CT2. While many of you probably thought that Duke Nukem Forever would be launched before CT2, CocoonTech is happy to announce that the first phase of the CocoonTech.com 2.0 roll-out has been launched.
Instead of initially implementing all of the new features at once, there will be several phases, making the launch much smoother, and making the troubleshooting process more efficient.

Phase 1 features:
  • Logo: The official CocoonTech.com logo has been updated.
  • CT.wiki: Demand for our own wiki has been very strong for a long time, and due to the fast growing rate of CocoonTech.com, it was only a given that this gets the highest priority, as it will make finding information much more efficient over present forum search methods. If you aren't familiar with what a wiki is all about, check out wikipedia.com, which is based on the exact same software CT.wiki is running.
    To make things easy, you can use your forum credentials to log in to the wiki, and make changes. Wiki articles can be discussed by hitting the 'discussion tab', which will automatically create a thread if it doesn't exist.
    You can also use the WIKI bbcode (or use the 'Insert Special Item' in the Full Editor) if you want to include a wiki link in your forum post (i.e., W800RF32).
    Keep in mind that a wiki is a community project, and can not survive without your help!
  • HTML based chat client: If you don't like the JAVA interface, or are unable to use it because the place you are at blocks chat traffic, you should now be able to join us without any problems.
  • OpenSearch: CocoonTech.com can now be added as a search engine in most popular browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.).
  • Software Tracker: Manufactures and other approved individuals will be authorized to post updates whenever they release a new (minor and major) build of their software. There is also an RSS feed available, making it very easy to learn about these new updates.
  • Subscriptions:Many of our members have expressed a desire to contribute to CocoonTech, but all past offers have been refused. Now, in today's economy, and with many of the new features planned, these requests have been reconsidered and will be implemented via a membership program.

Three different membership packages have been created, and you can purchase them through your 'control panel'.
    Out of the box, the subscription will allow increased limits (explained in the subscription description), but in addition, you will also be able to access bonus features, only available to subscribers. The first 'bonus' feature is CT.ip, a dynamic IP client for all 'Gold' and 'Platinum' supporters. This feature will give you your own subdomain using the cocoontech.net domain (i.e., myhouse.cocoontech.net) A very lightweight client, running on your computer (single .exe file, no install required) will update our Cocoontech servers whenever your IP changes, thus enabling your subdomain to always accurately point to your system. Many more bonus features are planned, as a 'Thank You' for supporting CocoonTech.com.

Please note that our non-subscribed membership will still be able to view the CocoonTech forums as they have in the past, and will be able to access any new data in the future (Wiki and other new features). This subscription program is all about supporting CocoonTech.com, and not restricting access to the very valuable data.

Phase 2 will be launched soon!

I also just signed up, but I noticed my "Group" didn't change. Does that mean I done screwed up?

It looks like you are all set, not sure why there was a slight delay there. Thank you guys!

Just as a follow up, the activation of the CT.ip feature still requires manual setup, so if you are interested, please PM me the subdomain you wish to use (can be almost anything), and I will configure it. I will also send you a link where you can download the client. Thanks!

What exactly is the value of that CT.ip subdomain thingey?

I mean, ivb-is-my-hero.cocoontech.net sounds cool and all, but i'm wondering what I would do with that once setup :)

It's similar to the DynIP/NoIP service that's out there. Except you get to pick something that is probably not in use, and has a cooler domain name (IMO :)). It makes it a lot easier to connect to your system at home, instead of having to remember the IP address of your router.

I see a mention above of RSS for software upgrade notices. that is good, I know you have rss for articles now.

But what about RSS for new threads? I know other sites using ipboard have rss for new threads. RSS is good for seeing that is new from mobile devices while waiting for trains/buses etc.

I see a mention above of RSS for software upgrade notices. that is good, I know you have rss for articles now.

But what about RSS for new threads? I know other sites using ipboard have rss for new threads. RSS is good for seeing that is new from mobile devices while waiting for trains/buses etc.

I asked Dan about this a few weeks back in the chat... he seemed concerned with the bandwidth that could be eaten up with these and a large site like CT is.

GREAT JOB GETTING CT2 OUT and released

There is a lo-fi link at the bottom of the page, allowing easy access to the site from mobile devices. I'll see what I can do for the other forums, but I can't promise anything, as all of this has to be configured manually.

Awesome work! Loving the wiki and I'll be signing up probably by the end of the week.

A small request on the wiki - is there any chance that clicking the large logo in the top left corner could link back to the main site rather than the main wiki site? There's already a link to the main wiki page with the "Main Page" link and it would be nice to have an easy link back to the forums/main page with just a click.

I was going to suggest taking the contents of the glossary and dumping them into the Wiki since they basically serve the same purpose. However, I just noticed that the link to the glossary is broken, so you might be way ahead of me. Yes, no, maybe?

I'm slowly getting back into HA and intend to be more active on the board than I have been in the past few years. However, I know some of my knowledge is dated, and the Wiki format would do a MUCH better job of keeping things up to date and fresh than I could ever do.

Also, you REALLY need to add the "Barf" emoticon (the green guy) to the list of Smileys. There's been quite a few times I've wanted to insert that little guy into a post. :(

Back