Connecting to elk on pocket pc through the internet

I previously purchased NetFront and have been using the preview editions since then. JavaScipt is not disabled and they have come out with a new preview package when the previous one expires.

Download here: https://www.access.co.jp/english/nfppc/agree_34.html

I tried that version but the behavior was the same as with opera or pocket ie: it just stops after entering user name and password. I assumed it was because java was disabled as the notes read:

"JV-Lite2 is not supported"

which I thought was java...

Oh well, good idea though...

Interesting. I use many PowerHome web pages that I have created that contain JavaScript. Maybe the Elk product uses Java, not JavaScript.

Maybe the Elk product uses Java, not JavaScript.

Yup; as mentioned earlier in this thread (and confirmed by Spanky), the client must be equipped with the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The XEP uses a Java app to implement the virtual keypad ... the Java app must be hosted by the client's JRE.

You will have to have the Java Runtime form Sun Micro as listed above. Many PDA's or telephones can not run that software. We are working on getting rid of Java.

Spanky, it has been 4 1/2 months. How 'bout a progress report.

Regards. . . .John

Yep...still waiting here as well. I never found a solution other than going through homeseer to control the elk.

You will have to have the Java Runtime form Sun Micro as listed above. Many PDA's or telephones can not run that software. We are working on getting rid of Java.

Spanky, it has been 4 1/2 months. How 'bout a progress report.

Regards. . . .John

Another month passes. Spanky, can you share ANYTHING about whatever you are working on to allow access without Java?

Regards. . . .John

Yeah, maybe. I can't connect to it from OS X or Linux either, only windows...

I got it to work only twice last year using my linux box(however, linux crashed). I downloaded an eval of a serial program for Windows which creates a new COM port. Then I also compiled a package in linux that encapsulates serial traffic over ip then back to serial again. I remember, I was playing around with my /etc/inittab(I think the mgetty line and ttyS0) file as well. That means, my linux box is connected to the ELK M1 via serial (db9). Then via the network, my WinXP using that serial program is connected to the remote serial via ip.

I'll try it again once I find extra time since it's cool. Right now, I'm connecting to my ELK M1 via Window's netmeeting. That means, I have another Windows XP connected to it via serial. Oh, with this solution, I can only manage it via the ELK RP software that is running on the target server(extra pc and bills :) ). That means, I'm not able to take advantage of the ethernet module. I think the ethernet module has a web based interface.

QUOTE(Spanky @ Dec 11 2007, 12:39 PM)

I see the ElkProducts site now boasts "PDA" under "Remote & Local Interfaces". Does this mean you are about to offer an alternative to Java? Or does PDA refer only to the product shown (iPhone?)?

I previously purchased NetFront and have been using the preview editions since then. JavaScipt is not disabled and they have come out with a new preview package when the previous one expires.

Download here: https://www.access.co.jp/english/nfppc/agree_34.html

Back in Dec of 2007 Spanky mentioned they were working on getting rid of the Java requirement. The vast majority of handheld devices cannot support the imbedded web server ,remote control software in the M1XEP. I think a lightweight, very basic, simple, run on any browser interface is LONG overdue. Can I ask where this functionality is in the software development queue? Its a glaring functional omission in my opinion.

Back