ControlThink SDK details

Rupp, you may be right. Perhaps it is because they are selling USB controllers and are a competition to HS. That sure would be sad if that was the reason.

Guys I think the reason is because they (Mark) don't understand what it actually is. Lets hold off on the HS guys for a bit... I asked him to contact Rick/Rich with information I provided him.

They are always beeen pretty good about things for instance the SSL...I'm sure they will see the brighter side once they look at what it actually is...

Just imagine how much they spent on developing Zwave with a poor product

I think it was fair for HST to remove the post; It really was a competing product.

It includes an Intermatic ZWave interface, and HST sells ACT ZWave interfaces.

The starter kit includes Intermatic ZWave modules, and HST sells ACT and Sylvania ZWave modules.

But most important, it allows anyone to write software to control ZWave, and HST's main product is software that controls ZWave.

Sorry to say, but I probably would have done the same.

IMO, the SDK is not a competing product. It would allow HST to provide a better Z-wave interface, spend less time on debugging/troubleshooting the Z-wave drivers, and concentrate more on other requested features. I don't see HST banning the Girder plugin, yet it could be considered a competing product since it supports home automation as well.

So, while I don't agree with the decision, it is their forum, they do pay for the software/hosting, so they can do as they please.

Most HS users would NOT drop Homeseer in favor of some SDK (and they spent the money on HS already anyways), and I can't imagine that any potential customer would NOT buy Homeseer because of a single thread pointing to the SDK announcement.

All very true, when you really think about it. But when you consider how quickly the post was removed, do you think HST thought that much about it?

As for Girder, the forum on the HomeSeer board supports the Girder plug-in for HomeSeer. If there was a ControlThink plug-in to HomeSeer, I would bet that HST would see things differently. Still short-sighted, but differently.

Maybe they aren't too happy that they coughed up $5000'ish bucks for an original development kit from Zen-Sys that is now being sold for $149, at least I'm assuming that they paid for a dev kit since at that time Zen-Sys was even more ridiculous about supporting developers than they are now.

I shouldn't really reply, since I have been tempered against HS in the whole z-wave thing.

But why would they delete a post for an item that works. They do not offer a working controller at the moment. The USB units have issues and the serial controllers have been back ordered for months.
Since HS released the z-wave plugin there has been almost no support from HS in regards to problems with the controllers.

StevenE

Guys,

Remember it was Mark that removed the post. Do you really think a marketing guy knows that much about it? He saw it as a threat and quickly removed it. I have mixed feelings but HS is paying for the site.

That’s why I asked him to forward it to Rick/Rich so they can look into it much further and truly understand the benefits.

I just wanted to add that I think and Chris can clarify that the issues you have been experiencing with z-wave losing connections and suck to the act controllers was not the fault of the software writers. I have used two z-wave software products and they both performed pretty much the same.

Now an then devices would disapear from the network and the controller would stop working.

ControlThink has solved the controller hardware issue and added a few new features to the controller to make the loss of devices from the network less of a problem. The rediscover feature is basically a way for the network to heal its self.

My point is that if you want to get the full potential out of the SDK then you will need to buy the $49 USB dongle also. It just happens that ControlThink is nice enough to basically give you the USB Dongle for free when you buy the SDK or vise versa.

I just don't want you guys to think that all of your issues will go away if HomeSeer starts using this SDK. Some will but others will require you to upgrade to the latest controller.

Also I want to mention that to date Act has been pretty much dominating the DIYer market. I have reason to beleive that intermatic and other manufactures are about to step in and make things right.

I don't want to say too much more, other than I do not blame HS for the problems with the USB controllers or the drivers for the Controllers. I do understand that is a problem from act.

But, in the past when there had been issues with hardware that HS sold or supported they made an open effort to work with or nudge the hardware vendors to the correct the problems.

StevenE

deranged said:
I don't want to say too much more,  other than I do not blame HS for the problems with the USB controllers or the drivers for the Controllers.  I do understand that is a problem from act.

But,  in the past when there had been issues with hardware that HS sold or supported they made an open effort to work with or nudge the hardware vendors to the correct the problems.

StevenE
I humbly disagree with this. I have a very quick reacting ACT USB interface now and did have issues with HS. Granted it, ACT Interface does have issues but some/most could be fixed as I’ve seen it for myself.

I'm not sure if I can really say, Why mine works So much better but it does.

Edited:
I'll see if I can post Why mine works better.

I tested Control Think with the same controller that I use with HS.
When my USB controller "disappeared", neither HS or CT could see it.

I have to reboot my computer for CT or HS to see it again.
So you can put me in the blame the controller camp.

CFGuy said:
I tested Control Think with the same controller that I use with HS.
When my USB controller "disappeared", neither HS or CT could see it.

I have to reboot my computer for CT or HS to see it again.
So you can put me in the blame the controller camp.
That is my experience also, It got a little better with a external powered USB hub. It still has issues sending to devices, 20 second delays with commands. I have turned off all polling because that just seemed to make things worse.

StevenE

Did you use ThinkEssentials to test your connection.

What .net Framework are you running 1.1 or 2.0? If you are running 2.0 try and uninstall it and run just 1.1 and then try both HS and CT again. I have been having issues with 2.0 myself. I can not get a connection when using 2.0 with either of my 2 controllers. If you have the same problem then I would REALLY like to compare hardware notes with you because I am leaning towards it being a Hardware and .net compatibility issue.

Squintz,
Applications are built on a particular run time library. So if your application is built using the 1.X or 2.x it should matter what runtimes you have installed. It will use the libraries it was built on.

I also know from first hand experience that the USB interface is as about as flaky as interfaces come. I bought a new AMD based PC a few years back and HS was locking up constantly. After weeks of trouble shooting and reading at http://www.usbman.com/ I added a USB 1.1 4 port card to my system and havn't had a single problem with any of my USB devices. I also have never had one, not one, problem with my Z-Wave install nor HomePro USB interface. I also never see a single communication failure. All of my bathroom fans are controlled by Z-Wave switch's and they go off after 45 minutes. There hasn't been one missed command and this is the furthest switch from my PC controller. So just as a point of reference there are some of us that do not have problems. I guess I should just keep my fingers crossed the way it sounds.

Are you guys that are having problems running the same motherboards? Are you using the on-board USB ports?

Back