Cool name for Home server

felixrosbergen

Hi All,

Do people name their servers? They obviously need to have some sort of name on the network, it might as well be a cool word.

I was thinking about different words for server in various languages but could find what it means in latin or greek.

I was at a software company once where all the different servers had greek mythology names....a bit geeky but kind of cool...was funny during a factory acceptance test when you read the logs and it said things like 'Zues lost communication with Thor'...

Any suggestions 'MavRic_HomeServer' is a bit too boring for my taste.. :blink:

This server will serve the following:
- SageTV
- CQC
- ELK RP
- Music

One of my clients uses characters from Rocky movies:

ROCKY
CLUBBER
DRAGO
APOLLY
GUNN

..I kind of like it. :blink:

get creative.

I have seen Muppets, Greek Gods, Star Trek characters, etc...

I think Zeus is pretty cool.

My server name is "storage"...

"Hestia" seems appropriate as well...

"Guardian of the home, Hestia was the eldest daughter of the Titans Cronus and Rhea. The Greek goddess of the hearth."

or a movie one.

- wopr (from war games)
- hal (although would that be hypocritical?)
- vger (voyager, from star trek)
- the oracle / zion (matrix)
- sarah (izzat the name of the eureka one?)

or you could just call it dean, so when you integrate voice recognition you could finally tell dean what to do and it would listen blindly without asking questions...

how could I forget terminator!

- the turk
- (oy, what was the name of the main computer that came online and self-aware....)

how could I forget terminator!

- the turk
- (oy, what was the name of the main computer that came online and self-aware....)

Skynet?

I stuck with the Greek theme, but was much more boring. The main server is called 'alpha' ... when I get a backup I suppose it would be beta. Most other machines are named for their location/function so I don't have to think about which machine is which.

I went with the typical planets, moons, stars names. Plenty of those, and easy to remember.

Since we're on a movie-computer bent why not:

"Mother" from Alien. Could be an appropriate abbreviation when the server misbehaves. :blink:
"Proteus" from Demon Seed. Mentioned earlier; may want to skip this name after seeing the movie.
"Guardian", the Soviet counterpart to "Colossus" from The Forbin Project.
"Lucille" from "Red Planet".
"M5" from Star Trek "The Ultimate Computer".

etc etc

PS
'Turk' derived from "The Turk" an eighteenth century human-like automaton that played chess (a mechanical dummy controlled by a hidden human operator).

offtopic, but did you know that they used the AT&T TTS engine (used by many home automators) to generate the Lucille voice?

I was had the 7 dwarves... Sleepy for the laptop that always went into hibernate; Dopey for the desktop that always crashed, etc... Coincidentally my wife started calling me Grumpy.

Later the wife was into Winnie the Pooh - so the workgroup was 100AcreWoods with Tigger, Pooh, etc.

Now it's tb-hserver, ws-mediapc, then my home pc and laptop have names that won't stand out when connected through VPN to the work servers so nobody gets too tempted to try & explore.

Back