Custom Laser Etched Keypad Buttons

SmartLabsMike

I am excited to announce the next level of user customization to SmartLabs’ INSTEON keypads and KeypadLincs. We are now shipping laser-etched custom keypad buttons. Choose whichever name you would like your buttons to say. And yes, they work will all of our existing keypadlincs.

That is the exciting part now here is what it takes on our end for you to get the names you request. How many steps does it take to make the buttons suited to your naming convention? It is not by any means an easy process on our end:
1. After you place your order we will email you requesting what you would like each button to say.
2. We receive the email and it is forwarded to production.
3. Your buttons are hand picked and placed onto a template and placed inside the laser etcher.
4. Text is copied from the invoice and inputted manually into the computer running the laser-etcher.
5. The laser then goes through a 2-pass process of etching the buttons
6. Buttons are removed from the laser etcher to be prepped for painting. This includes using compressed air to dust out particles and a soft cloth to polish the top of the button.
7. Buttons are hand painted and then set to dry
8. Excess paint is removed and the buttons are then polished once again.
9. Buttons go through quality control by a different production team member and if it does not meet specifications they are rejected and start the process over.
10. Each button is individually hand wrapped and packaged before finally shipping.

We sure hope this will get easier with time but as you can see from above this is a labor intensive and costly process. Listening to what our customers want is what we do on a daily basis and it has a long time coming but we are finally able to offer custom buttons for a high-end feel. For examples of how they look please see the webpage.

SmartLabsMike said:
I am excited to announce the next level of user customization to SmartLabs’ INSTEON keypads and KeypadLincs. We are now shipping laser-etched custom keypad buttons. Choose whichever name you would like your buttons to say. And yes, they work will all of our existing keypadlincs.

Wow that's great news, customized buttons.

Any chance giving us a hint on a software timeframe such as UPB's Upstart? That would me more critical than the buttons in my book. No pressure, just wondering :)

The custom buttons are good news, but I agree that a stable and complete SDM, and some management software is a higher priorty for me.

tCassio, the latest SDM is getting there. So much so that Cinemar put the Insteon device driver into beta, getting ready for release. One still needs to manually link the devices once, but once linked, achieve accurate 2 way status and control.

I like the buttons also.....

But to me, a better linking and control process is the HIGHEST priority. Still patiently waiting.

I can't tell from the picture or description... can you see the status light?

If not, I definitely won't be buying any, unless there's an easy hack involving a drill and acrylic. :)

markthomas said:
I can't tell from the picture or description... can you see the status light?

If not, I definitely won't be buying any, unless there's an easy hack involving a drill and acrylic. :)
What do you mean by "see the status light"? All they are doing is etching the text into the button cap and filling in the etchings with black paint. The buttons are still backlit and illuminated. So yes, you'd see the status.

Xpendable said:
What do you mean by "see the status light"? All they are doing is etching the text into the button cap and filling in the etchings with black paint. The buttons are still backlit and illuminated. So yes, you'd see the status.
So the buttons are still the same clear plastic? How disappointing. They look different in the pictures WayneW posted links to.

markthomas said:
So the buttons are still the same clear plastic? How disappointing.
They look to me like they are WHITE plastic. So they would be the same as clear plastic with white paper behind them.

I would also guess you could still be able to tell if you had a color kit behind it as well.

Edit: Yes, they are white. From the description hidden in the Details and Specifications:

Keys are currently available in white only (additional colors available soon)

Don't know if the other colors refer to Blue/Red/Green/Yellow like the color kits or Ivory/Gray/Black like the trim colors.

Also, Toggleincs are up on the SH site for pre-orders with a 2Q delivery.

Herdfan said:
markthomas said:
So the buttons are still the same clear plastic? How disappointing.
They look to me like they are WHITE plastic. So they would be the same as clear plastic with white paper behind them.
Whoa, there... you're jumping to conclusions. White plastic is not necessarily translucent.

Mike, please tell us once and for all... can you see the status light or not (during the day)? Can you provide a picture?

Whoa, there... you're jumping to conclusions. White plastic is not necessarily translucent.
I'm almost positive they are not 100% opaque. That just wouldn't make any sense. I'm betting that you'll be able to see the status light through the plastic.

Back