Customer Insisting On Toggle Switches

upstatemike

I have a customer doing a full renovation of a large Bed and Breakfast. They originally had not considered using automated switches in this project but after talking it over they now want to go that route. Problem is, they want to stick with toggle switches to preserve the character of the building. On top of that, they have already standardized on brown and almond as the colors for all plugs and switches. (Very Adirondack!)

Are there any automated toggle switches, regardless of technology, that are available in these colors?

I think your going to have trouble just finding the toggle style switch for starters. The color can be taken care of with the right paint. But to answer your question I personally have not seen any toggle style switches which are automated. You may want to check with some of the guys at Integrationpros.com and see if they might have a solution. I am thinking of something along the line of a hardwired solution which most DIYers are not familiar with including myself.

Congrats on getting the job!

I thought Insteon was coming out with toggles this month. Maybe I am mistaken but you can check with Smarthome.

Well, this is a pro install and I would not dare put x10 in someone elses house. For your own house they are fine but not in a pro install.

Squintz said:
Well, this is a pro install and I would not dare put x10 in someone elses house. For your own house they are fine but not in a pro install.
Really Squintz? What would you put in? From the posts I read here I don't see ANY of the three new protocols (Insteon, Z-Wave, UPB) as a clear cut choice for problem free operation.

I wouldn't hesitate to use X10 in any install as long as expectations are set, up front. The only fail safe light switch is a direct wired one, other than that all the new and old protocols have their problems. Hopefully one of them will become a front runner but that's still being worked out. If the Z-Wave "Stick" can communicate as it should then Z-Wave may be the front runner at the moment. Time will tell.

I guess using X10 could add a 'haunted' feel the bed & breakfast ;) I am pretty sure as well that SH was coming out with INSTEON toggle switches (or already has), but I doubt they will have the color you want. Can you use inline modules somehow?

electron said:
I guess using X10 could add a 'haunted' feel the bed & breakfast ;)
Exactly!, What E said. :)

Actually BSR, even though I have not personally used UPB I know that Martin recommends them for pro installs and I am sure Martin would not lead us in the wrong direction. He has mentioned that several of his customers prefer them over Z-wave.

electron said:
I guess using X10 could add a 'haunted' feel the bed & breakfast ;) I am pretty sure as well that SH was coming out with INSTEON toggle switches (or already has), but I doubt they will have the color you want. Can you use inline modules somehow?
No. Because automation was an afterthought, the AC wiring is already in place so I don't have any flexibility for inline modules, hard-wired systems, etc. In fact the electrician is ready to start installing switches on the 3rd floor so I can't even pre-order the Insteon switches that aren't really available yet.

I'll go by the job site this morning and show them an Insteon decora switch. If that won't fly then I'll just have to tell them there isn't anything available at this time.

Did anyone notice that SH raised the prices on the ICON switches (not the dimmers). They were $19.99 at one point and now they are about $5 more. Wonder why? I would beok with it if they put beefier relays in them etc. I could not see a difference in the switch (might have missed it).

Anyone know why the jump in price?

The good old fashion supply and demand. They've got the demand but the supply chain is getting low.

I know this won't help you now, Squintz, but I've been thinking about putting low voltage wiring to regular light switches (no 125VAC), and tying that to a system backend like an On-Q or even to an Ocelot, to allow the regular cheap toggle switches to be used as controllers for the HA system. Just a cat5 cable to a multi-gang box...

Has anyone tried this? Then the HA system to the lighting control is the only issue, and that could be inline or centralized...

Rupp said:
The good old fashion supply and demand. They've got the demand but the supply chain is getting low.
Is working at SmartHome now your third job? Can you reveal your source for "the supply chain is getting low" comment?

BTW, Martin hasn't raised the prices yet.

Back