DC power transformer (aka Wall Wort) question

dwalder

Guys, I hope you can help me. I have purchased a monitor that that requires a wall wart. The wall wart is rated for 120V input and 12 volt output w/ 5amp max. The only problem is that the cord is not long enough and needs to be interfaced into another pre-existing cord.

IE: Wall Wart ---------- (connection) ----existing wire------------(connection)---------Plug to device

I have had situations like this when installing security cameras and have simply cut the cord in half, spicing into the preexisting cable matching pos to pos and neg to neg. I decided to do the same thing with this cable and to my surprise, the power cable looked more like a coax cable than it did a power cable. Instead of having the two separate cables in their own sheath, the cable was constructed as follows: Outer sheath, exposed wire, inner sheath, exposed wire. This does not pose a huge problem as I can simply add a bunch of shrink tubing ad put some butt splices in. However, I have several of these to build.

Here is the question: Because the amount of time that is required to do each power supply, I was wondering if I could simply get a low voltage extension cable that already has the pigtails stripped and ready to splice? My only concern is that the original cable has a black piece of plastic that is about 1-2 inches away from where the power cable interfaces into the device. I have been told that this is a "Ferris magnet". I need to know how important it is to have this "device" right before it interfaces to the device...or if having it about 2-3 feet away is alright? Also, is there any better way to connect or splice these cables together. I have used some of the red (18-22gauge) butt splices but they don’t seem very sturdy.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

My only engineering type experience with a ferrite device was on a PC I/O card. I was assisting with the UL certification. Our need arose from a RF noise spike that was outside of the certification limits. In our case, a simple ferrite clamp on device on the power connector brought the card into limits.

I would guess that placing the device a few feet away will not be a show stopper. The ferrite devices are used to prevent higher frequency noise from entering your device or/and to prevent your device from radiating noise onto the power cable.

Ken

Back