Do you use a male or female voice for your voice announcements?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I always wondered about this, and this CNN article posted today reminded me to post this poll ;) Wife seems to prefer a male voice, but is ok with the female voice (which is what I use).

The only voice announcements I currently use are the Elk M1 voice announcements. My wife never said she didn't like it.

I've been playing with different voice fonts on different touch screens (to bug my wife mostly). She did ask me why I always use a female versus a male voice last week.

I said I don't know. I do remember the first TTS voice in the house in the 1980's was female and the kids gave "her" a name.

I remember talking to the developer of the "voice font" that I used. He mentioned that it was his secretary's voice that he used to create it.

I would always pick a female voice for anything that uses announcements - just more soft & soothing.

Though....there is that notion that guys will use a male voice for their GPS because they don't need another woman telling them where to go :eek:

ELK M1 -> Female
No option to change gender of the M1's announcement's but that's never been an issue. The M1's spoken voice is serviceable.

Premise -> Male
NeoSpeech Paul's voice is clear, pleasant, and fairly neutral (i.e. no unusual voice inflections).

I also use NeoSpeech Paul here. The wife and I feel it is the most understandable and clear sounding voice.

In my car, the helpful voice for commands is male. "Voice activation system...I couldn't understand you. Please repeat."

The car nav system directions are provided in a female voice. "Take your next left, [idiot]...make a legal U-turn, [dummy]...[are you deaf too?]"

In my car, the helpful voice for commands is male. "Voice activation system...I couldn't understand you. Please repeat."

The car nav system directions are provided in a female voice. "Take your next left, [idiot]...make a legal U-turn, [dummy]...[are you deaf too?]"

I use neospeech "Kate". She's gorgeous!

I use a female voice for informational things that can safely be ignored.

I use a male voice for alarms and such that should not be ignored.

It seems that a lot of people are using neospeech. It isn't clear to me from their website how you can acquire that for home use? There is a sales inquiry form - but I didn't see a simple "I want to buy this for personal use". Did something change or am I just missing where that is?

Home seer used to sell these voices...but no longer. In my opinion these were the best voices at the time. I still look at other voices and dtermine that neospeech still ranks at the top.

IMO they are one of the best voice engines for sure. Unless AO still sells them, it is going to be hard to get a hold of them (afaik, Homeseer no longer has a license to sell them). There are a few other nice engines out there, but they tend to be licensed for use with a single application, and aren't SAPI5 compatible.

This site has a number of different "brands" of voices:

http://www.nextup.com/index.html

I find the AT&T voices pretty good.

I had the AT&T voices before I purchased the Neospeech voices. They aren't bad, but use more resources. That site has many voices listed, but many of the good ones are locked down to just their software.

Back