Pete's Blog HOW LIGHTNING WORKS and use of automation methodologies

Blog posts by pete_c
Friday, December 08, 2023 Update

We have had some cloudy days here. Using three solar panels now and noticed charging even when cloudy. That said the device will go to 4 days with no sun at all which is good.

Looking now to test using 12VDC landscaping voltage and a bucky transformer ....charging only at night....as the Landscaping lighting goes on all night....

Last edited:
Friday January 26, 2024 status and update.
Tasmota 13.3.0(sensors) by Theo Arends

Note that this update is using the Tasmota Sensors bin file and not the standard update.
1 - first update with minimal update
2 - update with sensors update

Working fine unless we have 4 days of cloudy / snow weather. It does come back with one sunny day.

Thursday February 29 2024 status

Working fine. I use lightning strikes to trigger alerts via Alexa TTS, Homeseer TTS and HA TTS.
BH1750 Illuminance to turn outside lights on during overcast / cloudy days.

tasmotalightning.jpg

I had used tape to seal the box from outside moisture and that is working fine.

1709221528312.png

Noticed that the solar panel support holes are rusting
.1709221471990.png

Moving the box to the weather mast. (combo DTV antenna, LTE / GPS antenna and it will be a lightning sensor) mostly because I will be staining the deck soon. Probably also will install an outdoor weathercam on the mast soon.

bracket.jpg

May still remove solar panels and connect power to landscaping lighting power Buck transformer.
Using these in all of the automobiles and alarm panel for years and they work great. Transformer will be mounted inside of box.

Last edited:
Back