DS18B20 temperature sensor at end of 50' cat5e not reliable

LarrylLix said:
AI had a low cost/free? option to send back older non-user updatable boards and have them updated, making them  user eprom updatable. 
I did sent mine back for an upgrade in June of 2013 which updated the BRE board to PLC.  I didn't realize that made it updatable.  The hardware is 2.0.2.  And the firmware says Version: v03.01.17d.
I didn't find anything on the webcontrol server regarding firmware upgrade.  Maybe the board's firmware is sent over the network?

I just found a note from CAI that said, "hardware version 2.0.2 does not support 1-wire timing adjustment".  I bought it in 2010.  So I've gotten my money's worth. 

thanks!

frankpc said:
So what do you do to fix the sensor failure?
Sorry for the long delay. I've only had a few hard sensor failures. In that case just replaced the sensor. My biggest problem has been with the aquarium controller I built for my wife. The cheap "waterproof" Chinesium cable assemblies are not really waterproof and leak when submerged over time. I'm trying some of the silicon ones with a double crimp ferrule.    It has been about 8 months and so far so good. 

Interesting, I didn't think that was possible. I thought the WC8 only enumerates the 1-wire bus as powerup/reset.

rossw said:
 I only power-down and back up the sensors if I have a doubtful reading, or no response.

Tschmidt said:
Interesting, I didn't think that was possible. I thought the WC8 only enumerates the 1-wire bus as powerup/reset.

That's a good point and I will have to have a look. It's a long time ago now!
I'm pretty sure I have the PLC set to turn on that output on startup, so that might mitigate it.
I have a vague memory of a software reset, does the WC8 re-read the DS18B20 on a software reset perhaps?

Thinking back, it was the AM2320 that was causing me more problems than the 18B20, it's possible I've not actually had to cycle power on the temp sensors, but only on the AM2320! When I get some spare time, I'll check it out and report back!

Back