DSC 18xx and COSMOD2W/COSMO2W/2WTA-B power

jeditekunum

Anyone have a setup using those components?

I'm wondering about the current calculations. The DSC 18xx PGM only supplies 300ma. COSMOD2W says 121ma@12V in alarm; I'm going to have 2 of them so 242ma.

The 2WTA-B specs are confusing to say the least. The 2WTA-B says 130ma "max" but 30ma in alarm and 12ma "for all other units on the loop". Somehow the "first" one on the line is 30ma and subsequent ones are 12ma. Why? The COSMO2W says 50ma "max alarm current" but 20ma "max reverse polarity current". None of this makes sense - how can max "alarm" current be more than "reverse polarity" current?

I'll have 2 COSMOD2W. First will have 1 COSMO2W and 3 2WTA-B. That seems to be ~224ma. Second will have 2 COSMO2W and 2 2WTA-B for ~262ma. Total ~486ma. Way beyond 300ma from the panel.

It appears I need a PC5204 power supply module. It claims 1A but down in the details for residential fire it says 550ma which just makes it.

As far as why I want to use an older panel, its for automation integration using an EnvisaLink or IT-100. (And not Elk or OPII due to wasteful cost - I already have Loxone.)

Should mention I've seen this thread. I'm puzzled why the SMP3 power supply would be acceptable. Its not supervised. How in the world could an unsupervised power supply for a fire alarm system pass code/inspection?

It did get me looking... SMP3PM seems a better solution. 2.5A and supervised. Comments?

If you want to strictly follow the rules, I think both the SMP3 and SMP3M are not acceptable for use with a fire alarm system. 

Power supplies that are acceptable would have the applicable UL certifications (eg. UL 1481).   The SMP3 models don't have this as far as I can tell.   But other power supplies, like the Altronix AL400ULX series do.

RAL said:
If you want to strictly follow the rules, I think both the SMP3 and SMP3M are not acceptable for use with a fire alarm system. 

Power supplies that are acceptable would have the applicable UL certifications (eg. UL 1481).   The SMP3 models don't have this as far as I can tell.   But other power supplies, like the Altronix AL400ULX series do.

Thanks!

Interesting that Elk seems to have enough power without add-ons. This shrinks the cost difference - although still significant.

Despite people liking the older DSC 18xx, I think the NX-8E is a bit better solution. Lots of power available. Many more zones supported.

I really hate having to be forced to chose amongst a poor selection of products. If only UltraSync Modular Hub offered some level of automation integration I'd go with that.

Back