Dual boot Win 10 and Linux

pete_c said:
Here having some issues with Ubuntu 16.04 / Oracle VBs on my Laptop.  The issues relate to seeing the USB ports in Windows.

Wierd cuz I have a similiar set up on my HS3 box and have no issues.

Personally I would just play with the stuff; you cannot break anything and you can shut it off when you are done.

All you need is the DVD ROM or just an ISO image.  Personally here utilize an ISO image when building VBs.
Yes I expect that I'll be loading from a usb thumb drive image.

Using a USB to install the OS works here. 

It's only reading or seeing the USB in the VB that doesn't work which makes no sense to me.

You do not need a bootable USB installation image to install a VB. 

You can just copy the ISO file over to the USB stick.  When first setting up the VB you just point your DVD/CD device to the ISO image and it becomes a virtual installation drive.

Here fixed my USB thing this morning.  The VB's worked fine except for that.  Running XP, W7 and W10 VB's on my laptop.

It was just adding guest additions to the configuration of the VB.

Way back here created a Wintel VDI image (embedded) to test test my tablet top touchscreens.  Then just copied the image to the SSD drive for use afterwards.

OK I'm posting from a Vmware VM and Firefox running in Ubuntu 15.0.4.1 LTS. The install practically did itself. It'll be fun to poke around and install some useful apps.

If I like using Ubuntu  I plan to install it as the only operating system on an old HP dual core AMD laptop that currently has windows 10 on it. Win10 doesn't support the touchpad for the machine and I just don't like it.

Mike.

Good news Mike!

If you were using Firefox before you can export your Firefox links locally or to Google.  I went to using Firefox in Windows 10 here.

I also use ABP (adblock plus) and Ghostery with Firefox.

Pete

I have the same problem of not being able to see usb drives from ubuntu. What did you do to fix it?

Mike.

Add two packages to see the USB stuff

1 - Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
2 - Guest additions CD image.

I saw instructions to mount the usb drive to a specific folder on the hard drive but couldn't do it because I don't have super user access rights. I'm going to learn a little command line language, get myself upgraded to super user and pursue that before installing another layer on the operating system like virtualbox.

Mike.

It really is plug n play. 

I am doing command line stuff on the HS3 server in Linux as I wanted the VB to boot up after HS3 is running on startup.

What is strange is the need for guest additions to see the USB stuff.  I have never had to install this before with VB for any OS.

Relating to my Ubuntu 16.04 server running Wintel server it works fine seeing the USB / serial stuff and I have never installed the guest additions stuff.  Well too the wintel server VB build is customized and very small with no fluff.

mikefamig said:
I saw instructions to mount the usb drive to a specific folder on the hard drive but couldn't do it because I don't have super user access rights. I'm going to learn a little command line language, get myself upgraded to super user and pursue that before installing another layer on the operating system like virtualbox.

Is this a work machine, or something?  Getting office go-ahead for installing stuff is never fun.

I managed to get the ubuntu system to access my usb 3 thumb drive.

I had to first make a change to the vmware machine setup under usb settings to show all usb devices and to be usb 3.0 compatible. Then I was able to run the VM and connect to the usb drive in the virtual machine removable device menu.

wkearney99 - no work machine, this is my personal pc. I was wrong about mounting the usb drive. That applies to a Linux host while I have a win10 host.

Mike.

I did a little reading and I don't see any impelling reason to switch from the already installed Vmware to Hyper V. One point that stood out to me is that Hyper V depends on your network and rdp which can make it slower than vmware.

Mike.

Ok so now is anyone willing to vote for the best Linux OS to replace windows for the home user.

I would like to replace win10 on an old HP laptop because win10 doesn't support all of it's devices and because win10 annoys me. Is Ubuntu a good choice or maybe one of the other Linux OS's?

Mike.

Back