DVD/VCR Combo...

Squintz

DVP620VR/17

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp620v..._17_dfu_aen.pdf

Will someone please look at this manual for me and tell me if it will do what i think it will. I want to Run this thought my Sony A/V Receiver and into my Infocus X1. What i want it to do is allow me to put a standard analog cable TV Signal into it and get a Progressive component video output. I also want the VHS tapes and DVD to be component output.

The only problem i have with this unit is that it is not black. I will deal with the color if i cant find one in the same price range that is black and can do all the things i want it to do. This one is about $130... I am willing to go upto $200 but dont think i will need to.

When putting a Component Signal into my receiver does the receiver alter the output any. For instance if i put a Progressive signal in is it possible to get a Interlace Signal out?

Here is the receiver i have
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...03&type=product

DVP620VR/17

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp620v..._17_dfu_aen.pdf

Will someone please look at this manual for me and tell me if it will do what i think it will. I want to Run this thought my Sony A/V Receiver and into my Infocus X1. What i want it to do is allow me to put a standard analog cable TV Signal into it and get a Progressive component video output. I also want the VHS tapes and DVD to be component output.
According to the manual, page 12, you cannot get component out when you play a tape - only from DVD. You will need both the component and composite (or svideo) connections to the receiver.

The analog tv in is essentially the same as playing a tape.

The only problem i have with this unit is that it is not black. I will deal with the color if i cant find one in the same price range that is black and can do all the things i want it to do. This one is about $130... I am willing to go upto $200 but dont think i will need to.
I prefer black, too. But my latest DVD player (Govideo D2730) is silver - I had no choice.

When putting a Component Signal into my receiver does the receiver alter the output any. For instance if i put a Progressive signal in is it possible to get a Interlace Signal out?

Here is the receiver i have
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...03&type=product
The receiver won't do any conversion - you need to buy a much more expensive receiver to do that. The component connections are essentially just an analog signal switcher (for all intents and purposes) - all they are doing is connected one or another set of inputs to the outputs (maybe with some amplification in the middle, maybe not, I don't know).

The receiver will not convert composite or svideo to component or vice versa. Some more expensive receivers will convert s-video and composite back and forth.

You can buy transcoders which will convert from one format to the other. They get very expensive.

A lot of people use HTPCs primarily for transcoding purposes. Assume the PC will spit out component video. They will connect things like vcrs or game consoles to the composite or s-video inputs of cards in the computer and then "display" them through the component outputs. Or, they stick with a VGA or DVI connection between the computer and the projector (DVI is usually the highest quality of all).

I think you are going to end up wanting to connect your receiver and projector together using both component and (composite or s-video). This will be the only way to display both without buying more (expensive) hardware.

Since I mentioned multiple video connections in the post above, I thought I'd mention audio too.

I don't know if the VCR part will play audio through the digital connection. If it does, that's good. If not, you may need to connect the analog audio outputs to your receiver as well.

Even if the tapes/cable will play through the digital connection, you may still want to run the analog cables as well. With my receiver, digital inputs are routed through a DAC to the amplifier (and hence to the speakers) but they are not routed through the line-level outputs (to vcr, tape deck, etc.). I use the line-level output to feed things like RF modulators (channel 100 on my home cable system) and another receiver (wires running from the living room to the bedroom). I connect both the digital output of my DVD player and the analog outputs to the receiver. The digital input on the receiver will be used to drive the speakers but the analog input will be routed to the analog line-level outputs. If I only connect the digital input, there will be nothing coming out of the analog outputs. I don't know if your receiver works the same way - or if you will have any need for this capability.

This is also a way to expand the number of inputs you have. In my reciever, there are digital (optical) and analog inputs associated with the same device (DVD, DAT, etc.). If a digital signal is present, it will take precedence and play through the speakers. Otherwise, the analog signal will be used. This allows you to connect two different devices to the receiver. You just need to make sure the digital input isn't getting anything when you want to listen to the analog input. This capability helps a lot when you start running out of inputs (which is my problem).

Back