Easy Question - Elk Keypad Chime

Scott12v

This is stupid, but I absolutely cannot figure out how to get my Elk keypads to chime. I have three keypads, 1 of the original style and two of the KP2s.

In ElkRP, I've made sure that all three keypads have the "No Chime" box unchecked. On the zones that I want to hear the chime (front door), I have the enable chime checkbox checked.

On the keypad itself, I have made sure that Tone/Voice is selected and Silent on Chime is set to no. The Chime key is lit.

I have to be missing something very obvious, but I can't figure out what it is. I am relatively new to Elk, but have spent enough time with it to have some idea of what I'm doing.

It seems like there should be a chime volume setting, but I can't find it.

I have no problems with the voice announcements playing.

Thanks,
Scott

From what I recall, you've checked (or unchecked) the right things.

What do you mean by "On the keypad itself, I have made sure that Tone/Voice is selected "

You can try writing a rule, just as a quick check on the keypad being able to make noise:

WHENEVER front door [Zn 2 or whatever] BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN START KEYPAD BEEPS IN [Area1]
THEN TURN Output 208 ON FOR 2 SECS ;dummy output used as timer
WHENEVER Output 208 STATE IS TURNED OFF
THEN STOP KEYPAD BEEPS IN [Area1]

Well you're not alone in this regard. I haven't had time to follow up on it but I'm having the same exact problem. I have two of the KP keypads and can't get either of them to chime.

Mick

From what I recall, you've checked (or unchecked) the right things.

What do you mean by "On the keypad itself, I have made sure that Tone/Voice is selected "

You can try writing a rule, just as a quick check on the keypad being able to make noise:

WHENEVER front door [Zn 2 or whatever] BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN START KEYPAD BEEPS IN [Area1]
THEN TURN Output 208 ON FOR 2 SECS ;dummy output used as timer
WHENEVER Output 208 STATE IS TURNED OFF
THEN STOP KEYPAD BEEPS IN [Area1]

Thanks for the complete reply, I appreciate the time you put into answering.

I did figure this out, but I'm not entirely happy with the answer. It appears that that the chime volume is directly related to the keypad volume. I don't want any noise when I press the keypad keys, but I do want the chime to happen when a zone is violated. Apparently, this not possible. If you want to hear the chime, you have to have the keypad volume set to something other than silent...IMO, these should be two separate functions.

Thanks again,
Scott

Apparently, this not possible. If you want to hear the chime, you have to have the keypad volume set to something other than silent...IMO, these should be two separate functions.

You must be talking about the "key beep volume" in the "misc options" under keypads in RP. Mine is grayed out (can't be changed) and is set at 3. Are you able to change this from RP?

Apparently, this not possible. If you want to hear the chime, you have to have the keypad volume set to something other than silent...IMO, these should be two separate functions.

You must be talking about the "key beep volume" in the "misc options" under keypads in RP. Mine is grayed out (can't be changed) and is set at 3. Are you able to change this from RP?

Exactly. I want my key presses to be silent, but still want the chime. This does not seem possible.

I'm at work now, so can't check RP, but if I remember correctly, I could change the KP1 key beep volume in RP, but could not change the volume for either of the KP2s that I have. I had to change those from the keypad itself.

Also, I realized another feature that I would like...the ability for different keypads to chime for different zone violations. For example, I might not want our upstairs keypad to chime when the garage door is opened, but I do want the downstairs one to chime. However, I might want them both to chime if the front door is opened.

I think I'll post these two items as suggestions on the Elk Support Forum.

When you press the chime button on the front of the keypad, that turns on the chime for all keypads in the area unless you check the "NO CHIME" check box in the keypad programming in ELKRP. Then the keypad does not chime at all.

You can enable and disable the chime in an area with a Rule, but not by keypad.

:D

Back