Electric motors

chevy_b69

havent posted here in a very long time, everything is still on track for my HA system. i havent started building yet but i am probably gonna use CQC and the ELK hardwiring all the way.

i have decided i would like a table that drops out of the ceiling, but i need a motor for this. i am happy to spend a long time studying, but i would like to build/ modify it myself.

i have been looking for reading material on how to go about this but so far havent found anything specific enough to help.

so if anyone can, point me in the right direction it would really help.

BTW. i am an electrician so i know a little already.

This may sound odd but I have seen garage door openers used for dumb-waiters. Set up the opener in the attic and attach a cable where you would normally attach the door. Add a couple of strategically palced pulleys and you are all set. The nice thing about this is you can operate it remotely and it already has provision for travel limit in both directions.

Just as a side note, some of the new battery back up units with DC motors are amazing quiet.

Rob

I'm building a system to hoist bikes to the ceiling and I found that the simplest way of acheiving this was to use a cheap winch that I bought on special at "Canadian Tire". It's a little noisy, but it can pull upto 2000lbs.

thanks guys i will investigate both the winch and the garage door, any ideas where i can get the schematics/ dimensions on these items ?

The winch concept lead me to this one. Says 2,000 pounds for $40! Just over an inch per second speed. Hmm...

The winch concept lead me to this one. Says 2,000 pounds for $40! Just over an inch per second speed. Hmm...

I beleive winchs are rated in rolling weight. also this would be a horizontal pull not Vertical. I am alittle afrade of using a winch for a vertical pull.

Lookingm at the "attic Lift" it looks like a winch/crain setup you might find in an industural location, just not as heafty...

I beleive winchs are rated in rolling weight. also this would be a horizontal pull not Vertical. I am alittle afrade of using a winch for a vertical pull.

Lookingm at the "attic Lift" it looks like a winch/crain setup you might find in an industural location, just not as heafty...

Most winches I've seen are pretty slow, but quicker for lighter loads. I was thinking about using a gear system if I can build it easily enough. The winch that I bought is for an ATV, and it does actually say "do not use to hoist loads" in the manual, but I'll be using a pulley system so that it will be pulling horizontally. I shelled out about $120 for mine, if memory serves me correctly. One thing you'll want to look into before making a choice is what kind of power supply you will be using. Since I had other devices that I need to power, even during a power failure, I'm using a deep-cycle marine battery attahed to an intelligent charger. I'm not sure if you can hook a winch to an adapter and into an AC outlet.

There is a difference between a hoist and a winch. I can't rember all the differences, but I did a google search and found a good page on the subject. There are also guidlines for a hoist that is considered safe to walk under.

I use a hoist to store my car's hard top in the garage ceiling. It allows me to easily remove or install by myself.

~Jay

this site is awsome, instead of spending hours on fruiltess research, i come here and within a day i have a number of solutions. thanks all of you.

that attic lift in particular looks just right and it says they can make them to spec at no additional cost, so this could save me masses of time. i have emailed them with my ideas and will be following that up.

should that not work out of course a hoist would be the other solution, and it would be a case of making all 4 cables pull at the same time.

thanks again, leon

Do a google on "attic lift" and you will see several different brands and styles of attic lifts. One company even makes a ladder/lift combo that does the lifting by sliding a platform up the side rails on a drop down ladder.

Back