ELK 73 speakers

v1rtu0s1ty

I have a question regarding connection of speakers to the M1 if using 2 ELK-73 speakers. Right now, I have 2 dedicated wires for the speakers, one is coming from 1st floor to head end location and the other one is coming from 2nd floor to head end location. Since we only connect speakers to OUTPUT 1, what is the proper way of connecting my 2 speakers to OUTPUT 1 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil:

I just switched laptops so I don't have the M1 installation guide downloaded yet. But, it is in the manual how to series/parallel the wiring.

rfdesq said:
Neil:

I just switched laptops so I don't have the M1 installation guide downloaded yet. But, it is in the manual how to series/parallel the wiring.
Yep, I was looking for it in the manual but don't know if my eyes are bad. I'll look again.

this is the note from the Elk manual (actually I beleive it is on the contrller also)

2. OUT 1 †† for speaker(s) ONLY (4 to 8 Ohms).
If connecting more than 2, use series/parallel
wiring to avoid going below a 4 ohm total load.

you need to keep it between the 4 and 8 ohms....

Take the 2 homerun wires and tie the 2 neg together and two pos together and insert them in the proper spot on Output1. This is parallel and will be 4 ohms which is fine. If you ever add a third speaker you will need to change it.

Steve said:
Take the 2 homerun wires and tie the 2 neg together and two pos together and insert them in the proper spot on Output1. This is parallel and will be 4 ohms which is fine. If you ever add a third speaker you will need to change it.
Yep, the picture helped me a lot. I had already planned last night that I should use the series wiring. However, I read the manual of ELK-73 and found out that it was already 8 ohms each. Doing it makes it 16 ohms based from the picture attached above. I will use parallel wiring then.

Thank you very much folks!!! :blink:

Try to keep the final resistance 4 ohms or greater. More than 8 or 16 ohms is not a problem to the amplifier on the M1.

4 ohms = 2 - 8 ohm speakers in parallel.
16 ohms = 2 - 8 ohm speakers in series.
6 ohms = 2 - 8 ohm speakers in series and 1 - 8 ohm speaker in parallel with the 2 speakers in series.
8 ohms = 4 - 32 ohm speakers in parallel.

Spanky said:
More than 8 or 16 ohms is not a problem to the amplifier on the M1.
I thought it had to be between 4 and 8 ohms, no more, no less. Are you saying > 8 ohms (like 16) is actually ok?

Anything below 4 ohms could damage the amplifier. Above 8 ohms might affect the volume of the output but probably not that much.

Back