Elk 930 Doorbell and 12v DC?

daxiang28

From what I've seen, it looks like most doorbells and the Elk 930 run off 24vAC. I have a Leviton 12V Power distribution module in my enclosure where the doorbell wire is run and was hoping I could use that to power the doorbell rather than have another wall wart plugged in there. Is this possible or can somebody recommend a compact doorbell transformer.

Also, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a decent doorbell/hidden cam option? I like the channelvision products but it seems like they either pipe into a Pansonic or other whole house intercom system. I'm just looking for a simple doorbell + hidden cam. To keep it simple, I was thinking of buying a brushed alum single gang plate and drill a hole for a standard lighted doorbell and another small hole for a camera similar to the one in the channel visions.

Thanks,
Steve

The spec on the doorbell module is 10-16 VAC. Most doorbells operate from a hard-wired 16 VAC transformer. But the thing to remember with the ELK930 is that it needs almost an amp of current (900 mA) to trigger it, so only mechanical chimes will work.

I used a cheep Nutone chime and took apart all but the coils to use as a load, then I used a relay output to activate my electronic chimes (and all the other stuff like turn on lights, switch cameras, etc.) You can use the input directly from the doorbell button but I wanted the light to work.

Is there any other hardware or security related products installed there?

Conversely, you could go with something like an video Aiphone over brewing your own solution.

As brushed on above, If you have a security system, you could use a non-lighted button (or certain LED lit buttons) and trigger a zone on panel to play a sound. That's basically what I do - and use an Elk 124 recordable voice module inline with my other speakers to play the doorbell chimes throughout the house.

I do have an Elk M1 system in place. Any suggestions for the led lighted doorbell? Do I still need the elk ring detector?

Steve

The LED pushbutton has been touched on before, however the sounds you wish to play would determine if the M1 is satisfactory or additonal hardware is needed.

It would take some searches or some testing - I don't think specific working models were posted despite request; but if their voltage/current requirements are low enough some can be driven by the elk's native voltage.

No - you wouldn't need the doorbell module - you'd just hook the two leads directly to a zone on the M1.

As DEL said, whether or not you are happy with the system sounds will dictate whether you need more hardware. You can even experiment with the phone recording of new sounds. Personally I wanted more custom sounds, so I integrated the Elk124 and played with doorbell sounds for a while... first it was Jetsons, then a few other popular ones before my wife made me settle on a nice Westminister chime. Around holidays I'll change it up with seasonal sounds; the best is Halloween where I play custom creepy sounds when the doorbell is rung, then alternate between a few creepy yet appropriate sounds each time the front door is opened. I also use it for custom chimes for things like gate opening, doors opening, etc... where I don't like the system sounds and don't want voices. I drove the 8 channels off the onboard voltage-only outputs of the M1.

You guys rock! Is there any reason why I would use the doorbell detector if I was just powering off the board? It seems like they will both do the same thing.

Depending on the pushbutton, you may or may not be able to light a small LED within one using the voltage and current the M1 puts out on the zone itself.

The doorbell detector would allow you to drive other events if you had a traditional doorbell already installed and did not want to abandon it.

Back