Elk and w800 newbie experience

Frank,

No. However the way elk works is that it receives a text message from the w800 rather than an on or off.

ELK has vitual outputs the same as virtual devices in HS.

So the first rule I have setup is that everytime the "text" is recevied then turn output 100 on and vice versa for the off equivalent.

Then there is another rule (time based). every 30 seconds announce "garage is open" if output 100 is on.

The confusing part is that one would not know if the text received is a hearbeat message or an actual change in the state of the DS10A so don't know how that would work.

regards,

But can you not test the status of the virtual output and then do something depending on the status of the virtual...

Example...

Text message received to say ds10 -1 open

rule xx

IF
Output 100 is ON
Then
Output 100 = off (turn it off)
send text message to audio "Door is opening"

So its basically saying the door was closed and it just received an opening message so send text message and clear door virtual output (100)...

Next time it receives a door open message from the ds10 it will test the virtual output (above rule) and will not run the actions as the virtual output will be off......

Frank

I had a long day, so my apologies in advance for not getting this, but I am not having any of these problems, am I missing something? What is this X10 mode you guys are talking about?

Electron,

Can you please let us know how you have one of your DS10a setup in ELK.

Please start wiht when the text is recevied to some rules.

What is happening to me is that I have this setup as follows:
Whenever the (off text, magnet together) is received then turn output 100 off.
Whenever output 100 is off then announce "garage door closed"

Now what happens is that everytime it sends a hearbeat message (randomly) "garage door is closed" is anounced. So at 2 am I will hear garage door is closed.

This is simple and gets complicated when 2 sensors are used and more rules are added as they then tend to come on their own.

regards,

I now see what your problem is. On occasion the DS10a sends a switch status message to the W800 which in turn sends a message to the M1. You are triggering on this text message, but the door state has not changed. The DS10a is just updating the wireless status.

In the Caddx/GE wireless processing, if a door is in a opened or closed state and the same state message is received as a timed update transmission from the Caddx transmitter, nothing happens.

Hmmm!

Trigger an output from the W800 messages. Door Open message turns on an output. Door closed message turns off an output. If you receive multiple door opens the output state will not change. Reference your rules on the state of the outputs changing instead of simply receiving a message from the W800.

Spanky,

Let take the first sensor:

On text turns output 100 on ( as per your susggestion). This will happen when the grage door starts to open or is open.

So how would the rules be setup. The whenever rule is based on whenever the output turns on or off.

Starting with whenever is throwing me off. The reason is whenever the output turns on is what is happening NOW as it turns the rule on and hence the repeated announcements.

I can see that AND has the state of the output but the start of the rule but what do I do with the whenever.

regards,

Hi

>Starting with whenever is throwing me off. The reason is whenever the output turns on >is what is happening NOW as it turns the rule on and hence the repeated >announcements.

I get the feeling that "Whenever ouptut 100 is ON " This will only be true when the output Turns on ...so is a once only event .....If this is the case this should help you to prevent sending multilpe text messages by doing what Spanky suggested a few posts back by turning ON/OFF virtual outputs using the W800 status messages...

Frank

Here is the jest of Rules to work with:

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 1 is Open" THEN turn output 100 ON

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 1 is Closed" THEN turn output 100 OFF

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 2 is Open" THEN turn output 101 ON

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 2 is Closed" THEN turn output 101 OFF

WHENEVER output 100 turns OFF
AND output 101 is ON
THEN SAY "Door is Closed"

WHENEVER output 101 turns OFF
AND output 100 is ON
THEN SAY "Door is Open"

WHENEVER output 100 turns ON
AND output 101 is ON
THEN SAY "Door is Opening"

WHENEVER output 101 turns ON
AND output 100 is ON

***//
AND output 101 is OFF
THEN SAY "Evaculate the House, the garage door is really messed up"
****//

Multiple Open/Closed signals from the DS10a will not change the state of the outputs so they will NOT fire a Rule unless the output changes state.

I am not sure about the transmit time of the DS10a and how long it takes to get the open or closed signals from the transmitter to the M1.

Hope this helps.

I did not work on this over the weekend. I was busy running a cat5 through the attic so that I could run my ethernet module in the basement.

I will work on this in the next couple of days and as always will post the results.

regards,

Spanky said:
Here is the jest of Rules to work with:

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 1 is Open" THEN turn output 100 ON

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 1 is Closed" THEN turn output 100 OFF

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 2 is Open" THEN turn output 101 ON

WHENEVER "DS10a Text says Switch 2 is Closed" THEN turn output 101 OFF

AND output 101 is ON
THEN SAY "Door is Closed"

WHENEVER output 101 turns OFF
AND output 100 is ON
THEN SAY "Door is Open"

WHENEVER output 100 turns ON
AND output 101 is ON

WHENEVER output 101 turns ON
AND output 100 is ON

***//
AND output 101 is OFF
THEN SAY "Evaculate the House, the garage door is really messed up"
****//

Multiple Open/Closed signals from the DS10a will not change the state of the outputs so they will NOT fire a Rule unless the output changes state.

I am not sure about the transmit time of the DS10a and how long it takes to get the open or closed signals from the transmitter to the M1.

Hope this helps.
Ok so I put in the rules that Spanky suggested and it seems to be working fine. It has been around 10 hours since the rules went into effect and so far NO unexpected announcements heard.

Guess what I am doing next. MS10a for occupancy. At that price I can have 4 in each room......

good stuff....happy to see that my x10 investment won't go to waste.

Thanks to Spanky and other users.

regards,

Back