Elk announce the ELK-WSV water shutoff valve

electron

Administrator
Staff member
The ELK-WSV is a Professional Grade, electrically operated water shutoff valve for both residential and commercial use. Used in conjunction with an automation controller, leak detection devices, or a simple manual pushbutton, the WSV can easily and conveniently shut off the main water supply to the building. Unlike competitive units, the ELK-WSV is a stainless steel, 1î full bore, ball valve with commercial grade seats and seals. It is a ìnon-restrictingî valve which meets the approvals of state and municipal water authorities.

The motorized actuator has a permanently lubricated gear drive with sufficient torque to open or close the valve under high pressure or after long periods of inactivity. The ELK-WSV valve can be operated via a simple 12 Volt DC input from a security or automation controller such as the ELK-M1 Gold or M1EZ8. It can also be attached directly to a 12Vdc power source through a SPDT Emergency Pushbutton or ìEasyî button for manual control. Operating time from fully open to fully closed is less than 5 seconds.

Yeah 428.50 is the MAP price, according to what information I've got.

It's abit higher then the water cop but I think you'll find it to be a better product.

We tested alot of water valves. One simple torque test is to put a wooden pencil into the valve opening and close the valve. Many valves will simply stop. The ELK-WSV valve has so much torque that it will cut the pencil in to.

A problem with many automated valves is when a valve is not used very often, they can freeze up with water deposits if the motor does not have enough torque to close the valve.

With the M1 you can write a Rule to exercise the valve once a day to break up any water deposits.

The ELK-WSV Valve was a real hit at the EHX Show.

Interesting... I was a couple days away from purchasing a water-cop. This is more expensive, but DC-power means it'll run off the Elk battery if there's a power outtage. The watercop does come with some wireless sensors, though.

Can I power this through a Cat5, or do I need a larger gauge wire?

Top notch I am sure....but, Ouch again on the price. I really wanted one of these....but to buy 3-4 sensors on top of laying down >$400....Ouch!

What are the reasons that I'd want to automate the watermain valve? The only reason I can think of is if I have a sensor that can detect leaks. Am I missing something???

hucker said:
What are the reasons that I'd want to automate the water main valve? The only reason I can think of is if I have a sensor that can detect leaks. Am I missing something???
That's the exact reason. The watercop system is a cutoff and wireless water sensors that you place anywhere you could expect a leak. If any moisture is sensed your water main is cut off. Insurance companies will give substantial premium saving if you have one of these systems installed.

rfdesq said:
politics123 said:
Can I power this through a Cat5, or do I need a larger gauge wire?
18 gauge 4 conductor wire is specified.
Thank you for wire-guage specs. I also took a more thorough review of the specs: separate power supply required.

I agree with Spanky, high-quality vavles are expensive. However, manufacturers make similar products for different OEMs. Take a look at the following one and tell me if the picture looks familiar :D

http://assuredautomation.com/101/buy_101.php

The 1" wide, 12V DC version quotes out at $309.

EDIT: A 1" AC version is $286

Rupp said:
hucker said:
What are the reasons that I'd want to automate the water main valve? The only reason I can think of is if I have a sensor that can detect leaks. Am I missing something???
That's the exact reason. The watercop system is a cutoff and wireless water sensors that you place anywhere you could expect a leak. If any moisture is sensed your water main is cut off. Insurance companies will give substantial premium saving if you have one of these systems installed.
Do you have any numbers to back this up? A good discount would definitely make me consider installing one of these.

Insurance companies will give substantial premium saving if you have one of these systems installed

I was told that by my insurance company BEFORE I installed mine. Once I installed it and called them back they said they DO NOT give a discount for that in a residential application (but every company can be different).

We have our insurance through METLIFE and we already get a discount because we buy it through my wifes teachers union. Still it would be nice to get more of a discount.

BUT IT STILL WORTH IT in my opinion. Mine has tripped a few times and I had no damage since the water was shutoff immediatly and there was very little to clean up. One of my managers had a flood in his house from a frozen pipe that cost him thousands in lost personnel property a few months ago.

Do you buy fire extinguishers for the discount or because they work?

Water sensors are available from several sources. George Risk Industries has one. GE/Caddx has a wireless transmitter for water leaks. If you are using a GE wireless receiver on the M1, the water leak detector will work fine.

All you need is a set of contacts tied to a M1 zone input and a few Rules to send a contact closure to the water valve. We demonstrate how it works with a piece of zip cord wire, stripped on the end, and dipped into a glass of water. The main thing to protect against is corrosion on the sensing contacts.

A lightly loaded M1 will power the valve. It will draw an amp or less for about 3 to 4 seconds when opening or closing. This valve uses a simple 5 second contact closure electrical interface to open/close the value with no current draw when inactive. The valve rotates in one direction, so no complex reversing circuits are needed.

As I said above, we tested many valves. Some less than $100 retail. Try the pencil test!!! It better work when you need it.

Back