(Elk) double zone trigger

I know I should have known better when I received the email alarm... and logged into my next alarm control but this is still a problem...

Zone 14 is a contact I never labeled, zone 1 is my delayed door...

Dec 08, 2006 04:31:47 PM Perimeter Violation Kitchen Door (Zone 1)
Dec 08, 2006 04:31:45 PM Perimeter Violation Zone 14 (unused)

the double stick adhesive on zone 14 let go and tripped the alarm and then zone 1 get triggered...

any new news Spanky?

--Todd

This does look like an issue with the alarm system to me. I can't think of any situation where our log would show two different zones triggering when the alarm system only reported one. Sorry.

OK, you all got me... I didnt mean to say Dan, I did edit it to say Spanky now...

My wife who was the first one home after the trip also just gave me some infomation... the speakers were saying something about entry delay had expired.... (kitchen door is a entry door) that sounds to me that the system really thinks that zone triggered.

mustangcoupe said:
(kitchen door is a entry door) that sounds to me that the system really thinks that zone triggered.
I'm sure it does. Just like one of my customers whose master bedroom PIR alarms and the M1 thinks the front door opened also, not.

There is a similar post on the Elk website. I have this issue and can repeat the problem almost 100% of the time. I called Amy at Elk tech support this past Thursday. She said they have had reports of this issue and are working to figure out what is going on. Once they figure our where the problem is they will correct it in a firware update. I am not holding my breath on this one since I see reports of this problem from 6 months ago.

I'm sure if it was a quick fix ELK would have already taken care of it. This may be a tricker problem but ELK will get it fixed.

I'm sure if it was a quick fix ELK would have already taken care of it. This may be a tricker problem but ELK will get it fixed.

I agree that ELK will fix this. My experience with ELK is that they are much more proactive in resolving bugs or customer requests than most manufacturers in the business. I have heard the same from other people as well.

I didn't mean to imply that Elk was ignoring the problem and I agree that typically they are very responsive. I just have a suspicion based on the verious scenarios this problem occurs under it may be pretty time consuming to debug. Based on my converstation with Amy it sounds like I presented a new scenario that they did not have on their list.

FYI -
It also seems that issues/bugs are better addressed by contacting Elk directly by phone or email. I don't get the feeling they are actively using their own bulletin board to identify and diagnose issues based on my experience with this particular issue.

Matt

I can not get my system at the ELK test bench to show the problem on M1 version 4.4.6.

Someone having the above issues, update to M1 version 4.4.6 and see if it misbehaves. If so, explain in great detail how your system is setup and the exact sequence of events that occur when you see the issue.

There has been several improvements in this area since 4.4.2.

Scratching my head!! :blink:

If I have time Saturday I will create a false alarm (ok test alarm) and try and repeat the problem. I will send you the log etc. I am running the latest firmware etc.

I have one motion detector that occasionally trips when the cat jumps up on furniture or a shelf. When this happens I get the motion and the main entry door tripped.

Last time was a month or so ago.

Spanky said:
I can not get my system at the ELK test bench to show the problem on M1 version 4.4.6.
I can on a customers installed system. See my previous posts. The false reporting hasn't changed in versions 4.4.2, 4.4.4 or 4.4.6.

Digger said:
I have one motion detector that occasionally trips when the cat jumps up on furniture or a shelf. When this happens I get the motion and the main entry door tripped.
Exact same thing happens to my customer. Maybe it's the cat :blink: .

I am about to start testing some Dualtec Motions at work. If I like them I might buy a couple for the problem areas. Still not foolproof but better than PIR's.

Back