Elk EOL resistors - best way to connect?

jlokanis

I'm wiring up the house now and was wondering what the best technique was to connect the EOL resistors to the contact switches and wire runs. I am thinking of solder and electrical tape, but thought there might be a better choice.

thanks!

-John

I have used solder and shrink tubing. Also used solder and that liquid electrical tape stuff - more form-fitting.

Mark

The EOL Resistor gives a higher level of security so that if the zone circuit opens or there is a short across the EOL Resistor the zone will be violated.

MANY residential installations program the zone definition for NORMALLY CLOSED zone circuit and do not use the EOL Resistor.

Do not put the resistors at the M1 Control and use the EOL Resistor zone definition. That is a waste of a good 2000 ohm resistor and it does not give any security advantage.

I have not tried them yet (will on my sisters install) but I really like the concept of the contacts with integrated EOL's. You just hook the contact up the same way with no worries about holes, solder, tubing or whatever. They are made by George Risk and an example can be found here. I know Toymaster458 uses them and can get them and Martin may be able to as well. Gives you the best of all worlds - EOL protection with no additional hassle.

I used solder and heat-shrink tubing for all connections on my M1G setup. Houston is very humid and corrosion on electrical connections can be a problem over time. The solder and heat-shrink takes care of that in addition to thwarting dissimliar-metal corrosion.

Just my .02 cents :)

I used solder and heat shrink. So far, it has worked out very well.

Steve, where were you 6 months ago!!!
I would have DEFINATELY gone with the built in resistors!
I still have a few windows and doors to do. I think I will get with Martin and pick up some of those!

Thanks
Ty

Hehe, I just found them when looking over BSR's review of George Risk Industries recently. I don't think Martin stocks them but may be able to get them. If not I know Toymaster at Kanak uses them and can get them. I'm still deciding what to do but will do them soon.

Do not put the resistors at the M1 Control and use the EOL Resistor zone definition. That is a waste of a good 2000 ohm resistor and it does not give any security advantage.
I planning to add some zones to my Elk (used in a home) this weekend...Spanky, are you saying I don't need to worry about EOL resistors for motion detectors and door/window contacts?

He is saying that it does no good to put the EOL at the panel. The EOL needs to go at the farthest point (the sensor) or it defeats the purpose. If you put the EOL you need to configure the zone in RP as EOL, if you don't put them you just config the zone as NO or NC (which most panels don't let you do) and thats why you see all the resistors at the panel - because the panel needs it and the installer was too lazy to put them at the sensor.

Back