ELK Flush Keypad

jbdww

Hello,
Has anyone heard yet when ELK is planing on releasing the new flush mount keypad?
I thought it was supposed to be released now.
Thanks
JBDWW

Awaiting production delivery. Around the first of July, but ELK is shut down for the week of July 4th.

Am I correct in understanding that it's functionally identical to the current keypad except: 2 less F keys; no spot internally for prox reader; piezo instead of speaker? Everything else is cosmetic, correct? Do they use the same wiring connector (so a replacement would simply be mounting and plugging in)?

What is the price difference expected to be, if any?

There is a location in the back of the surface or recessed back box on the KP2 for a new speaker that Output 1 on the M1 can connect to. We found out today that the ELK external Prox Reader will also fit in the back of the recessed backbox along with the new speaker. There is about a 3 inch read range on the Prox cards from the front of the KP2.

This new speaker is a 32 ohm 10 - 15 watt and sounds very good. The nice thing about 32 ohm speakers is that you can wire 8 of them in parallel for a 4 ohm load, they draw a small amount of current, and make very little heat thus difficult to blow out.

Digger said:
I heard that there is no temperature sensor but there is a prox reader capability.
I hope that's wrong... I was counting on those 3 temp sensors... plus I have no way of getting wire down there other than what is on the first floor already.

Ok fine, i'll get one already. I don't need a temp sensor in that location but i'm sure i'll find a good use for the prox reader & speaker.

Toymaster, hook me up!

Spanky said:
There is a location in the back of the surface or recessed back box on the KP2 for a new speaker that Output 1 on the M1 can connect to. We found out today that the ELK external Prox Reader will also fit in the back of the recessed backbox along with the new speaker. There is about a 3 inch read range on the Prox cards from the front of the KP2.

This new speaker is a 32 ohm 10 - 15 watt and sounds very good. The nice thing about 32 ohm speakers is that you can wire 8 of them in parallel for a 4 ohm load, they draw a small amount of current, and make very little heat thus difficult to blow out.
If I understand this correctly. Output 1 needs a wire ran to the speaker that would be located behind the KP2. If we ran Cat5 to this Keypad location could we use the spare pair on the cat5 for the speaker connection? Or would we have issues with this?

You can run the 32 ohm speaker from a pair of CAT5 wires from the M1 Output 1.

And NO, the temperature sensor is not built into the KP2 keypad. It is included in the origonal KP1 keypad. The reasoning was to make a less expensive keypad.

Remember,squeeky wheels get greased!!!!

A quote: "If you glue your butt to the floor around ELK, you may get it ripped off due to change." :D

Squeek!!!!!!!!

If you add the temperature sensor back in then it wil be the perfect keypad IMHO (notice I didnt say touchscreen) :D

Question.......

When the arming station comes out could that be used on a seperate partition? I dont see why not and I was thinking of using one for my shed by putting it in an outdoor box with a wet location in use cover (like for a GFCI with something always in use).

Theoreticaly it should work ok. Granted the humidity might eventually get to it but I was going to do a slight modification by potting the inside. Figured it would be worth the try.

Spanky said:
And NO, the temperature sensor is not built into the KP2 keypad.  It is included in the origonal KP1 keypad.  The reasoning was to make a less expensive keypad.

Remember,squeeky wheels get greased!!!! 
SQUEEK

Please everyone let's squeek together on this one and let our Squeeks be heard.

Not only are we now missing 2 function keys and have to mount an external prox behind it instead of a normal internal prox but now we are loosing the built in temperature sensors. And in exchange for this we have a new style keypad that is recessed mountable and a speaker we can mount in behind.

So lets look at this:
The original keypad goes for about 142.79. The New keypad goes for about 128.50 sofar that is a savings of 14.20. Know to get the new keypad recessed mountable (Which I beleave is what most of us want) we need a recessed back box that goes for about 7.07 now we have a savings of 7.13 and this still does not include the cost of the speaker.

In my own opinion the saving does not justify the lack in features that we have grown acustom to with the original keypad. I my self would have been willing to pay more for the new keypad if they kept the original features and with the new style and recessed mountability.

Maybe I am the only one that was hoping this new keypad had enhancements on top of the original keypad. Like I said back in January when we first saw a sneak peak from CES 2006
toymaster458 @ Jan 9 2006 said:
I was thinking last night about the new KP2 and the lack of the F5 and F6 keys and it brought to mind, Are there any other differences between the KP and KP2 that we don't know about???
If we knew then what we now know some of these adjustments could have be included with the initial release.

I realy do not want to sound harsh but this site is for speaking your mind so I am not sure where Elk did their market research on this project thinking the majority of users are looking for a cheaper keypad but I do know I was not included and if members of CocoonTech feel the same PLEASE LET YOUR SQUEEK BE HEARD!

Back