Elk Installation

In the middle of renovating my house and I have decided to wire for a future Elk M1 install.  I plan on using the Elk touchscreen keypad and currently have Cat6 ran from keypad locations to wiring closet.  Would you guys run any other type of wire for future-proofing?

Do you already have wires to all of your doors and windows and are they divided up into logic zones?

What about to your garage door and garage door opener?

Water detectors under every sink/water appliance?

Wires to where your main water line enters the house for shut off?

To your laundry for end of cycle notification?

To sump pumps?

To locations you might want thermometers (outside)?

motion detectors?

Pool pumps?

Wells?

Sprinkler controller?

Automatic blinds?

Automatic door locks?

Lou Apo said:
Do you already have wires to all of your doors and windows and are they divided up into logic zones?

To sump pumps?

motion detectors?

Pool pumps?

Wells?

Sprinkler controller?

Automatic blinds?

Automatic door locks?
No, I don't have any wires ran besides one CAT6 to each keypad location. Since the house is a ranch with an unfinished basement, I figured I could run a lot of the wires after the drywall was installed.

Cat6 for all your computers as well. Gigabit ethernet is a lot nicer than wireless for your tv/internet/voip etc. Like Lou said, bite the bullet and run the wires before sheetrock goes in...it is less time consuming overall.

I'm now running extra CAT 5 etc in two rooms I gutted and refinished last year.  I really didn't think I would put sensors on those windows and now I am. As well as IP cams now...  With insulation and vapor barriers in the walls, and making it look pretty, it's not fun.  Yeah, do it now while it's apart.  As mentioned, always overwire... 

Travis4710 said:
In the middle of renovating my house and I have decided to wire for a future Elk M1 install.  I plan on using the Elk touchscreen keypad and currently have Cat6 ran from keypad locations to wiring closet.  Would you guys run any other type of wire for future-proofing?
At lease one pair of speaker wire (18 gauge) as well.  I have SPF12s behind each keypad KP1 and KP2s.  I needed to double up on my unused cat 5 pairs and even then I'm am higher than 18 gauge.  I could do double up on the wires as I am only using 4 wires for each keypad with my M1DBHR.  If I was using a DBH you would need to use two additional wires for the return data lines only leaving you with 2 24 gauge wires for speakers.  If you want to add two way listen in down the road, you can then use the unused CAT5/6 cable pair for the microphone.

alarmguy said:
And take ALOT OF GOOD PICTURES OF EVERYTHING you run. It can be priceless when the drywall is up.
Yes....from multiple angles - left, right, high, low, wide. 

I have many pics from my renno work, especially of electrical wiring and framing.  Sometimes you want to know exactly where that cable was run before you cut open a wall in the future.  But it's slightly frustrating when you pull up the pic and find that you don't have the necessary perspective to resolve your own inquiry.  

Lou Apo said:

To sump pumps?

motion detectors?

Pool pumps?

Wells?

Sprinkler controller?

Automatic blinds?

Automatic door locks?
So it looks like I need to run 2) CAT6 cables to each keypad location as well as 22/4 to the above locations and sensors that I choose to utilize. I plan on using the ELKM1KPNAV touchscreens, so do I need to run a speaker wire to the keypad locations as well? Also, what do you mean by logic zones?

Don't forget to run a bundle to the attic.  I've got IP cameras under the eaves of my house that are POE, and running this wire there is a huge PITA.  

If you wanted to get fancy, you could run a loop of romex all the way around the house in a circle in the eaves so it could easily be tapped into for power at any point under the soffit.  And then run a bundle of 6 or 12 Cat6 that you could snip and terminate where needed.  This will make your life way easier if you install cameras or other things under the eaves (you'll need a toner when you actually snip and terminate them unless you do a different color for each one).  

Travis4710 said:
So it looks like I need to run 2) CAT6 cables to each keypad location as well as 22/4 to the above locations and sensors that I choose to utilize. I plan on using the ELKM1KPNAV touchscreens, so do I need to run a speaker wire to the keypad locations as well? Also, what do you mean by logic zones?

Smoke detectors can use 2 or 4 depending on what type you go with (and you should use wire designated as smoke).  Motion sensors need 4.  Also there are two types of water detectors, one uses 2 wires, the other 4.  Probably not a bad idea to use 4 conductor wire to a lot of the things that aren't just simple zones.  This way you can power the device as well as have a signal.  Also I would use 20 gauge.

FloridaMike said:
Cat6 for all your computers as well. Gigabit ethernet is a lot nicer than wireless for your tv/internet/voip etc. Like Lou said, bite the bullet and run the wires before sheetrock goes in...it is less time consuming overall.
Just to clarify Cat6 isn't required for Gigabit Ethernet.  Cat5e will run GigE.   Cat6 is more for moving up to 10Gb, when it becomes more widely available.... ;)

Back