Elk + ISY + Homeseer Problem

Madcodger

Well, this MAY not be the best forum for this, but I tend to get great advice on Cocoontech, so here goes...

I have my Elk connected to an ISY99 device from Universal Devices, to control my Insteon lighting. After trying to make an all Elk / ISY system work, I finally gave up and went back to ALSO using Homeseer, connected to the Elk using the UltraM1G plugin for Homeseer. My X10 wireless motion sensors just never worked perfectly using a W800 connected via an M1XSP, while Homeseer seems to work fine, with quicker responses to sensor changes. But the ISY plugin for Homeseer is still not very useful (at least for me), while the Elk interfaces with it nicely. So now I have all three working together very well EXCEPT for one problem:

When I restart Homeseer, a wide variety of lights turn on or off, regardless of their recent state and despite the fact that I have the startup options to restore device states in HS disabled. This happens with just about every type of Insteon device, and across a variety of Elk addresses (i.e., housecode + unitcode combos). The system is very stable except for this one problem, and it happens only at startup. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any ideas? I'm using the most recent Elk updates in all devices, HS 2.2.0.76 (not 2.3, yet) and 2.8 for ISY. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Joe

Are the commands originating from HomeSeer? If they are they will be shown in the HomeSeer log file as commands.

I'm having the same problem at HomeSeer startup with the only difference that I'm using a UPB PIM off the XSP. I'm pretty sure it's related to the UltraM1G plugin as the same problem (lights going on) also frequently occurs when I disconnect and then reconnect the M1 connection (to use ElkRP) from the Status page. It doesn't happen when I start HomeSeer with the UltraM1 plugin disabled (I also have the UPB plugin and a separate UPB PIM directly off the HS PC).

I was working with UltraJones on this but this install is up at my vacation home and I had to leave before I could send him the plugin detailed debug log while it was occuring.

In my case, it's all of my "exterior" lights going on at HS startup (or M1 reconnect) and I coincidentally have a UPB link that controls all the exterior lights as an UltraM1 plugin device. You mentioned your lights are random while mine are always just the "exterior" ones.

You may want to contact UltraJones over on the HS board.

Good luck..

When I restart Homeseer, a wide variety of lights turn on or off, regardless of their recent state and despite the fact that I have the startup options to restore device states in HS disabled. This happens with just about every type of Insteon device, and across a variety of Elk addresses (i.e., housecode + unitcode combos). The system is very stable except for this one problem, and it happens only at startup. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any ideas? I'm using the most recent Elk updates in all devices, HS 2.2.0.76 (not 2.3, yet) and 2.8 for ISY. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
Joe,

I also use Insteon, but I don't see this issue at startup. When the UltraM1G plug-in starts up, it queries the Elk M1 for the current state of all Insteon devices. It then adjusts the HomeSeer devices statuses (if different) so they are in sync.

If you provide the following information, I may be able to duplicate the issue you are experiencing:

What type of Insteon PowerLinc are you running (e.g. 2414s v1.9)?
What version of the UltraM1G plug-in are you using?
What version of the Elk M1 firmware are you running?
What version of the ELk M1XSP firmware are you running?

Please also provide debug output as follows:

1. Enable debug from UltraM1G > Options.
  2. Shutdown HomeSeer.
  3. Startup HomeSeer.
  4. After HomeSeer starts up, send the hspi_ultram1g_debug.txt file located in HomeSeer's root directory to [email protected]. Please also indicate which light or lights were turned on/off at startup.
  5. Disable debug from UltraM1G > Options.

bmil,

I don't recall receiving the correct debug output. As I recall, you stated you were not able to do so for a few weeks. Can you also send me debug output using the procedure I specified above?

Regards,
Ultrajones

Ultra,

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's my info:

PLM (not a PLC, if that matters) =2412s, Rev. 2.75, and I'm almost certain it's firmware version 52.
UltraM1G version = 1.1.3251.23364, which is the latest in the updater.
Elk firmware = 4.5.8, the latest available if you're using the NX wireless receiver (I am).
M1XSP = 1.0.42, latest for general M1XSP use.

Of course, now that I WANT problems to occur, HS restarts just fine, with no problems. Twice!

However, I had the debug option running since yesterday after experiencing the problem on a couple of restarts, so I managed to capture some info that MIGHT be useful from the HS log, and will send it to you. Unfortunately, I did not capture all of HS's startup in the info I have, as the log resets at midnight. However, several lights came on somewhere just after 4:20 this morning, perhaps b/c HS lost its connection with the Elk for some reason. I've no idea why, but you can see it happening in the log file, and right at that time a LOT of lights turned on early this morning, and that mayhem appears to be captured in the log file I'll send. I
I'll list the lights I recall seeing on when I send the email to your address. Thanks for your help,

Joe

Ultra,

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's my info:

PLM (not a PLC, if that matters) =2412s, Rev. 2.75, and I'm almost certain it's firmware version 52.
UltraM1G version = 1.1.3251.23364, which is the latest in the updater.
Elk firmware = 4.5.8, the latest available if you're using the NX wireless receiver (I am).
M1XSP = 1.0.42, latest for general M1XSP use.

Of course, now that I WANT problems to occur, HS restarts just fine, with no problems. Twice!

However, I had the debug option running since yesterday after experiencing the problem on a couple of restarts, so I managed to capture some info that MIGHT be useful from the HS log, and will send it to you. Unfortunately, I did not capture all of HS's startup in the info I have, as the log resets at midnight. However, several lights came on somewhere just after 4:20 this morning, perhaps b/c HS lost its connection with the Elk for some reason. I've no idea why, but you can see it happening in the log file, and right at that time a LOT of lights turned on early this morning, and that mayhem appears to be captured in the log file I'll send. I
I'll list the lights I recall seeing on when I send the email to your address. Thanks for your help,

Joe

Joe,

Please send the hspi_ultram1g_debug.txt too.

By the way, do you have the 2412s connected to your Elk M1 via the Elk M1XSP? I thought only the 2414s was supported.

Components required for Insteon integration:
"One (1) Insteon Powerlinc Serial Controller V2, part number 2414S. It is recommended that this unit be REV. 1.6 or greater
(as indicated on its label) and have firmware 2.12 or later"

Regards,
Ultrajones

By the way, do you have the 2412s connected to your Elk M1 via the Elk M1XSP? I thought only the 2414s was supported.
I suspect he has the 2412s PLM connected to the ISY. The ISY communicates with the Elk M1via TCP/IP, not serial.

I suspect he has the 2412s PLM connected to the ISY. The ISY communicates with the Elk M1via TCP/IP, not serial.

Exactly. The ISY is connected to the router, which is connected to both HomeSeer and the Elk. Thus, the M1XSP isn't part of the equation. The HS plugin controls the Elk, which controls the ISY.

Ultra - I can't upload the other file until I get back tomorrow night (so will load Friday). Also, got your email and will try the new version then. Thanks!

Joe

Ultra,

Your latest update of the UltraM1G plugin (downloaded from the HS Updater) worked very well at preventing lights from coming on at startup, based on my testing it a few times this evening. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems there's (still / now) a problem with the plugin properly reading the state of lights in the M1G, and then properly updating HS status, at startup. Presumably, this would be the case when HS loses its connection with the M1G, and then reestablishes it. Let me explain how I discovered and verified this:

I downloaded the update, and restarted HS. No lights came on, so great. I then looked at the lighting status in HS, and three different lights were showing as on when they were off. I turned them off via HS.

I then logged into the ISY, the M1G, and restarted HS. The ISY and M1G each showed the correct lighting status, but HS was showing those same lights as, once again, on. After refreshing each, only HS again showed the incorrect status.

I am able to turn lights on and off easily using the login page of HS, the M1G, or the ISY. It's just HS that is showing incorrect status.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe. Please send me the debug output along with the light device codes showing the incorrect status so I can match it up to the debug log. The debug log will show us what the Elk is telling the plug-in about the PLC lighting device status.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Hello Joe. Please send me the debug output along with the light device codes showing the incorrect status so I can match it up to the debug log. The debug log will show us what the Elk is telling the plug-in about the PLC lighting device status.

Regards,
Ultrajones

OK, Ultra - will try to restart tomorrow evening and send. Have been away from machine for past couple of days. Thanks!

Joe

Ultra,

It is (of course) working perfectly now... I'll keep an eye on it and upload if / when I see a problem. Will leave debug on over the weekend if the only problem is a very full log. If other problems might occur, please advise.

Thanks,

Joe

Back