ELK M1 DST issue again?

I've just given up and thrown in the towel.  I eliminated day light savings automated adjustments and will just manually change my time twice per year.

Apparently the panel has reverted back to the wrong time again. It seemed like it had the right time for a day or two.

I don't understand this. Not one bit.

sda said:
Definitely a possibilty.  I don't sync with NTP, and I don't see the problems like others do.

I do and always have sync'd with a time server, and mine has made the transition perfectly (eastern time zone) this year.  I don't recall last year but I think it did then.

I'm on 5.2.10 and M1XEP 1.3.28. 

Not sure why some are having troubles, but mine has held NTP sync well since I got it.

I sent Spanky a PM asking if Elk was aware that there still seem to be DST issues, and he responded that Elk is aware of this and is working on a resolution.

I would also guess that He is reading these posts too. Things changed here when Elk went a different direction with their business model. His presence on these forums was one of them. I'm sure He is very busy but having Him available on the forums was a definite bonus for the Elk DIY crowd.

I tried setting the clock from the PC again last night, and once again I woke up this morning to find that it had relapsed to the wrong time. I'm going to try two things:

1) Disabling 'Observe daylight savings time', and

2) Disabling NTP

I'm going to try #1 first. If #1 works, I'll surrender and just stick with it until a fix is announced, as manually setting the clock twice a year is less work than repeatedly dealing with it relapsing to the wrong time.

If #1 doesn't work, I'm not sure how to do #2. I can find the settings that specify the timeservers, but I don't see anything that says to disable NTP entirely unless I'm just missing something obvious. The fact that this always seems to revert some time in the middle of the, and that's when it's set to sync with the timeservers, suggests to me that it's a timeserver-related problem. Could just be a coincidence, I suppose.

Well, looks like I spoke too soon.  Noticed my time was one hour off this morning, not sure how this is happening since I have CQC time push nightly and I manually ran that event to fix it.  And I can't upgrade because I have a CADDX.  I am slowing replacing my wireless sensors with wired, so hopefully in about 5-10years i'll have this DST thing resolved...

I love how my $30 alarm clock can automatically handle DST but my thousand dollar security system can't...  I will definitely be looking hard at HAI and other options when I get my next house...

snakevargas said:
2) Disabling NTP

I'm not sure how to do #2. 

Just remove the time server's address.  I haven't tried it, but if I recall it came blank.  Blank it out, if it's like every other NTP enabled device it just turns the service off and uses the hardware clock.

Woke up and it had reverted to the wrong time again. I'm now going to disable the time servers and give it another shot.

mine happen after the 2:00AM time change as well.  Note - with a time like 2:18, it'll be skipped the day that clocks spring forward because 2:18AM will never happen.  I can't get into RP right now to see the exact time mine are set for; I'll have to check later.

Mine has the same problem.  I sync with an NTP server as well as having the ELK M1 configured for DST.  I run the 5.2.4 code.  For me, right after the DST change, my M1 stays 1 hour out for a few weeks and then it sorts itself out.  I update my NTP time at 4:05 am just avoid any missed or repeated hours.  I'm thinking those "few weeks" are between when I configured the time change to occur, and the "pre-Bush" timezone change date although I don't watch my system close enough to be sure.

Steve

Back